LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Safety Florida

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I swear if he's another 4th round hit for the Saints imma lose my s**t

I'm with ya...IMO I still feel as if Hurd was overvalued and they could have moved down and got all three of the Wish/Hurd/CGJ
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'm with ya...IMO I still feel as if Hurd was overvalued and they could have moved down and got all three of the Wish/Hurd/CGJ

This

I loved Hurd pre-draft... but our biggest mistake was not trading down in the second and third rounds, we could have still gotten AJ Brown if we had traded down a few spots and Deebo was taken, and then we could have gotten Hurd, the punter and another 3rd-4th rounder which could have been a FS.
Juan Thornhill from Virginia was the free safety I wanted.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

I loved Hurd pre-draft... but our biggest mistake was not trading down in the second and third rounds, we could have still gotten AJ Brown if we had traded down a few spots and Deebo was taken, and then we could have gotten Hurd, the punter and another 3rd-4th rounder which could have been a FS.

Your assumption is that we had offers on the table. Have any sources for that? How much were we getting back?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

This

Yep agreed. Shoot I even think we could have traded down and still got Deebo in the 2nd as I think we overvalued him as well
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Your assumption is that we had offers on the table. Have any sources for that? How much were we getting back?

There were teams trading up around our spot.

Rams move up to 70 for Darrell Henderson. They gave up two late 3rds to do it

The Bears moved up in the 3rd to get David Montgomery (traded with Pats).

They could have gotten some good value for that 67th pick and most likely still ended up with Hurd among other players.
At this point it's over, but they could have done a couple things differently imo.

There were teams trading up around our spot.

Rams move up to 70 for Darrell Henderson. They gave up two late 3rds to do it

The Bears moved up in the 3rd to get David Montgomery (traded with Pats).

They could have gotten some good value for that 67th pick and most likely still ended up with Hurd among other players.
At this point it's over, but they could have done a couple things differently imo.

So you know for a fact Hurd would have been on the board based on?.......... They were trading up around us, but the point is you dont know what kind of deals they had on the table and if they players they wanted would have been around there based on their information(which they clearly know more about). I dont personally criticize them on that point. You dont know how players were valued by different teams. You dont know the trade value they had on the table. Its fair to criticize the picks they did make, but to criticize them for some theoretical deal that might not exist is a bit silly.
So you know for a fact Hurd would have been on the board based on?.......... They were trading up around us, but the point is you dont know what kind of deals they had on the table and if they players they wanted would have been around there based on their information(which they clearly know more about). I dont personally criticize them on that point. You dont know how players were valued by different teams. You dont know the trade value they had on the table. Its fair to criticize the picks they did make, but to criticize them for some theoretical deal that might not exist is a bit silly.

That's like you saying you know for a fact Hurd wouldn't be there...do you think Hurd was the 67th best player in the draft? Do you think SF was in a place to draft a converted RB to WR with such a high pick? Do you think this team could have benefited from a possible move down to created more competition and have some decent prospects behind starters to develop outside of UDFAs? Do you think this roster was so set that they could use a high end 4th on a punter?

That's stuff you gotta look at and imo our FO is a bit over confident in our roster and shouldn't be...
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 24, 2019 at 3:18 PM ]

That's like you saying you know for a fact Hurd wouldn't be there...do you think Hurd was the 67th best player in the draft? Do you think SF was in a place to draft a converted RB to WR with such a high pick? Do you think this team could have benefited from a possible move down to created more competition and have some decent prospects behind starters to develop outside of UDFAs? Do you think this roster was set so that they could use a high end 4th on a punter?

That's stuff you gotta look at and imo our FO is a bit over confident and shouldn't be
I never said he would or wouldn't be there. Neither of us could confidently say that though, and if you are saying it then you have no idea what you're talking about. Would I have selected hurd at 67? No, I think its fair to criticize that aspect of the pick(I wanted a CB or S there), but can you confidently say that a team outside of the niners had him in that range for a fact? Would trading back be ideal, sure. But please tell me the specific deals they had on the table, and then we can criticize them for not making that deal. Again, we dont know what they were or werent offered, THATS my point. WHat if the only offers they got they would have been swindled, you'd be on here criticizing them. I just find fans, who say that teams should have made hypothetical trades silly.

Where did I say I was for Mitch?.... Please quote me on that. I think it was a stupid move and they should have taken a DB. But Im not saying they should have traded down again in the 4th and got more picks, because I have no basis to prove that they had offers on the table.

I'm by no means condoning their draft btw. Just the specific type of hypothetical criticism fans make. I like the first two picks. I wanted a DB(specifcally Justin Layne or Oruwaryie) over Hurd, I wanted another DB over Mitch(specifically not trading down and picking CGJ). Also Cashman over Greenlaw.

I never said he would or wouldn't be there. Neither of us could confidently say that though, and if you are saying it then you have no idea what you're talking about. Would I have selected hurd at 67? No, I think its fair to criticize that aspect of the pick(I wanted a CB or S there), but can you confidently say that a team outside of the niners had him in that range for a fact? Would trading back be ideal, sure. But please tell me the specific deals they had on the table, and then we can criticize them for not making that deal. Again, we dont know what they were or werent offered, THATS my point. WHat if the only offers they got they would have been swindled, you'd be on here criticizing them. I just find fans, who say that teams should have made hypothetical trades silly.

Where did I say I was for Mitch?.... Please quote me on that. I think it was a stupid move and they should have taken a DB. But Im not saying they should have traded down again in the 4th and got more picks, because I have no basis to prove that they had offers on the table.

I'm by no means condoning their draft btw. Just the specific type of hypothetical criticism fans make. I like the first two picks. I wanted a DB(specifcally Justin Layne or Oruwaryie) over Hurd, I wanted another DB over Mitch(specifically not trading down and picking CGJ). Also Cashman over Greenlaw.

Look we're having a convo on value and where they might have f**ked that up...most people didn't have Hurd as the 67th pick and only 3 WRs went in the 3rd rd all together. There were teams near them that moved up and I can't see why they couldn't have move off the pick, if they truly wanted to.

I never said you were all about the Wish pick. I said this team has problems valuing players and working a draft overall. This roster isn't set to the pt of taking a converted RB to WR in the top 70 and a punter in the 4th. Imo both were massive reaches.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 25, 2019 at 12:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Looks like Buffalo Bills wanted to trade up with the 9ers in the 2nd to get Cody. 36 for 40 and their second 4th round pick.131?
Bills ended up trading up two spots with the raiders. (40th and 158th) to make sure they got Cody Ford.
got to build up through the draft,and I do not think Lynch is up to the job.

I did not like the punter pick in the 4th when it happened.would have draft CGJ

about at 3.00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVqW9ffiQmY
Originally posted by HeyJoe:
Looks like Buffalo Bills wanted to trade up with the 9ers in the 2nd to get Cody. 36 for 40 and their second 4th round pick.131?
Bills ended up trading up two spots with the raiders. (40th and 158th) to make sure they got Cody Ford.

about at 3.00

Cock sucker they could have still gotten Deebo or AJ at 40. There wasn't a WR taken until 51. They could have gotten CGJ and their punter with those two 4ths.

I'm all for a team getting their guy, BUT I feel like SF goes overboard with that and doesn't get "value." They'd rather reach.... I don't care if you don't think a guy like CGJ will beat out ward, injuries are a massive problem here. Depth and development are what gets teams to the next level. NOT f**king punters

about at 3.00

Cock sucker they could have still gotten Deebo or AJ at 40. There wasn't a WR taken until 51. They could have gotten CGJ and their punter with those two 4ths.

I'm all for a team getting their guy, BUT I feel like SF goes overboard with that and doesn't get "value." They'd rather reach.... I don't care if you don't think a guy like CGJ will beat out ward, injuries are a massive problem here. Depth and development are what gets teams to the next level. NOT f**king punters

Indeed. I'm not going to argue that I know who would or wouldn't have been available or what trades were on the table, but based on who went where and the amount of trading that took place on day 2 and 3, I'm pretty confident we could've walked out of that draft with every player we drafted (and I generally like all of our picks) AND any two of these three positions (corner, FS, and OL).

Of course, if the picks work out it won't matter, but those potential two extra picks wouldn't hurt either.

about at 3.00

I have been saying this for the last 3 drafts they fall in love with players and get tunnel vision.
It may work out and they may end up ok but if they don't fix that they will never maximize the Draft.
Share 49ersWebzone