LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State

Originally posted by FL9er:
Andy Isabella

Lol yup he has a thread somewhere if you want to talk about him....
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I appreciate the posts/info. My ideal for the 3 match Kyle's ideal as well.

That said, to match your point (I think we go Z early / you think slot), it would not surprise me to see a TE2 drafted as well and eat into those slot routes. In addition, I bet McKinnon is run out of it as well quite a bit.

But I definitely see your rationale and it makes sense. I could see this strategy as well and it would match Kyle's M.O.

Boy the TE prospects aren't really amazing outside of the guys from Iowa (both will be drafted in the 1st). Kinda like Jance Sternberger though

Oh...I trust you guys on prospects but I was going off of MD's comments and thinking having another really good TE could be an excellent way Kyle can sneak attack, use in pass protection and add some of those Pats plays with Welker assisting.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Been focusing on tight ends the past three days, and I can say that this group is one of the finest I have seen in the past three decades. Some very talented players, and future starters, led by TJ Hockenson and Jace Sternberger. I think there are six or seven starters in this year's class. In a passing league, most of these guys are able to block, which seemed to be a lost art for years. In what I see as a down year for quality starting WRs, the TE class is loaded.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 6, 2019 at 1:40 PM ]
I appreciate the posts/info. My ideal for the 3 match Kyle's ideal as well.

That said, to match your point (I think we go Z early / you think slot), it would not surprise me to see a TE2 drafted as well and eat into those slot routes. In addition, I bet McKinnon is run out of it as well quite a bit.

But I definitely see your rationale and it makes sense. I could see this strategy as well and it would match Kyle's M.O.

Boy the TE prospects aren't really amazing outside of the guys from Iowa (both will be drafted in the 1st). Kinda like Jance Sternberger though

Oh...I trust you guys on prospects but I was going off of MD's comments and thinking having another really good TE could be an excellent way Kyle can sneak attack, use in pass protection and add some of those Pats plays with Welker assisting.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Been focusing on tight ends the past three days, and I can say that this group is one of the finest I have seen in the past three decades. Some very talented players, and future starters, led by TJ Hockenson and Jace Sternberger. I think there are six or seven starters in this year's class. In a passing league, most of these guys are able to block, which seemed to be a lost art for years. In what I see as a down year for quality starting WRs, the TE class is loaded.

I don't see SF spending a top 100 pick on a TE in this draft, which most of the those guys will be (probably top 64).
Unless we manufacture more picks (trade down or trade away future picks) I don't see that being a position they tackle in this draft. There's just too many quality players that play positions of need in this draft.
we will see.
I don't see SF spending a top 100 pick on a TE in this draft, which most of the those guys will be (probably top 64).
Unless we manufacture more picks (trade down or trade away future picks) I don't see that being a position they tackle in this draft. There's just too many quality players that play positions of need in this draft.
we will see.

Yeah I only have one at pick 69 from a Jags trade down myself.

Not really a big fan of this guy. I have Metcalf, Brown, Deebo, and Butler ahead of him. Catches too often with his body and not overly athletic.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Not really a big fan of this guy. I have Metcalf, Brown, Deebo, and Butler ahead of him. Catches too often with his body and not overly athletic.

I agree he does tend to be a body catcher...he does also make some great hand catches as well. I think he's really really good at position his body to make a catches though. Savy route runner and a great blocker.

Will be interesting to see how he tests.

I agree he does tend to be a body catcher...he does also make some great hand catches as well. I think he's really really good at position his body to make a catches though. Savy route runner and a great blocker.

Will be interesting to see how he tests.

He's a high floor guy for sure. Still have him 5th or 6th in my rankings.
He's a high floor guy for sure. Still have him 5th or 6th in my rankings.

That's fair.

we will see.

Another argument against spending a high pick on TE in this draft is that they already have a truly stupid amount of money invested in Juice.

Unless KS wants to run a 1 WR heavy set offense as his base offense, every time you're putting that second TE on the field you're taking Juice off the field.

With as many holes as this team has, spending a top 100 draft pick on a #2 TE just doesn't make any sense.
Admittedly ive only seen his highlights but in every highlight he is only running the deep route. I didnt see any slants, comebacks, etc. Is this the case?
Originally posted by miked1978:
Admittedly ive only seen his highlights but in every highlight he is only running the deep route. I didnt see any slants, comebacks, etc. Is this the case?

I knew he wasn't gonna test well, he will drop to the 2nd because of it and very well could be a blessing for us.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
that's why I have us taking his talent in the 2nd round.. or if we can even trade down a bit in the 2nd, (before that 10th spot), he would be the ideal pick then...
Originally posted by 9moon:
that's why I have us taking his talent in the 2nd round.. or if we can even trade down a bit in the 2nd, (before that 10th spot), he would be the ideal pick then...

very well could be there in a trade down in the 2nd after the combine.
Share 49ersWebzone