LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 320 users in the forums

Would you be ok with an OG in the first?

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
We have to get lucky to get Nelson at 9 or if he's available at 7 or 8 do we move up?

Now that's just silly. Do you think Kyle and John will give up draft picks on this team now to move up for a guard? No chance. Put yourself in their place, with so many holes, and wanting to prove themselves with a draft record. Do you think that's the best way to maximize wins this year?
Originally posted by BOI49er:
We have to get lucky to get Nelson at 9 or if he's available at 7 or 8 do we move up?

Now that's just silly. Do you think Kyle and John will give up draft picks on this team now to move up for a guard? No chance. Put yourself in their place, with so many holes, and wanting to prove themselves with a draft record. Do you think that's the best way to maximize wins this year?

You don't move up for a Guard. But if he falls to #9 and is the best available player on the board then take him.

You're talking moving up one or two spots at the most for a top 5 player. Numero Uno 49ers agenda, protect the Franchise.
You're talking moving up one or two spots at the most for a top 5 player. Numero Uno 49ers agenda, protect the Franchise.

I wouldn't move up for him. A good player will be available at #9. There is no need to panic. We have lots of holes.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, I think you do it - for a stud like Nelson.

That's a third round pick, when there will be other great players at nine. You may want to do that. My prediction is that this FO loves specific players in the third way too much for that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
How do you know how Kyle thinks? He hasn't been a head coach before last year. What data are you basing your hypothesis on? Also, Kyle's MO is that if he wants someone, they pay them as much as it takes to get them, (Ie. Jusczcyk, McKinnon, Richburg, Malcolm Smith, Garçon) even if no one else will. If Nelson is a stud, that can run the outside zone, Kyle will want him to and pay him to stay.

I mean look at the teams he's been apart of and who they had at guard...look at his father's teams. Look at what he did this past yr and in FA this yr.

If they really valued the position they would have spent some dough on any of the FAs available....they didn't. He did spend a ton on center which is what they did in ATL.

I'm not saying Nelson won't be a niner but I doubt a OG is the pick at 9

That's like saying since his dad had such a bad experience with haynesworth and the fact that he didn't attempt to sign Suh, means he will let Deforest Buckner walk when his contract is up.

And maybe the reason that Shanahan didn't sign guards this year was because they didn't fit his scheme like Nelson would.

Quinton Nelson
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 325LBS.
BENCH PRESS: 35 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 26.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 105.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.65 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.62 SEC

Andrew norwell
Height: 6' 6
Weight: 315 LBS
Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 28 INCH
Broad Jump: 105 INCH
3-Cone Drill: 8.09
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.93

Weston Richburg
HT: 6'3"
WT: 298LBS.
BENCH PRESS: 25 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 25.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 106.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.93 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.63 SEC

Alex Mack
Height: 6'4
Weight: 311
Bench Press: 20 REPS
Vertical Jump: 28 1/2 INCH
Broad Jump: 106 INCH
3-Cone Drill: 7.31 SEC
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75 SEC

"Everyone thinks we like small guards, I just like people who can move. If you're 400 pounds and can move, I'd rather have that guy than the 300-pound guy who can move the same. The problem is that most really heavy guys can't move."

-Kyle Shanahan
[ Edited by flynhayn15 on Apr 22, 2018 at 11:03 PM ]
If its nelson then heck yeah, the only thing that would one up that is if we trade down with the patriots, get their 2 1st round picks, somehow get landry and daniels/wynn.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Nelson or Wynn would be potentially great picks in the 1st.

Would much rather see them either trade back and take Wynn or trade later/future picks to move back into the first for Wynn.

Either way I think the number one goal is trade back. Unless someone falls who shouldn't I'm just not that excited about who's there at 9. No surefire thing.

Roquan: undersized and can get put on the ground as a result
Edmunds: super raw and lacks instinct
Landry: had a lot to prove after 2017 performance; also not facing heavy hitters in the conferences
Secondary: Fitzpatrick not a real system fit, Ward a bit small, and Safety is actually a position I like right now with Tartt and Colbert so James wouldn't really fit a need

Hopefully trade back and if not, I feel like it has to be Smith. Saleh was an LB coach and even before Foster the team needed more talent there. That only amplifies it
Originally posted by zonkers:
I wouldn't mind. I like Nelson, Wynn, and Williams. But, I'm curious to see how the staff values the position. They have collected some former high picks in the interior. Though, I'm looking to see where they concentrate their money on.

This is my stance ad well, although Wynn or Williams would need to be with a trade down into the 20's.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 23, 2018 at 2:30 AM ]

I am against foregoing a position as important as edge of Landry is there. We can get a guard in the second or third round with less drop off in quality than edge. Same goes with inside linebacker. If Landry is already off the board, I'd be okay with Nelson, especially if Kyle and John figure guard is an important enough position to spend a top ten pick on. Even if Nelson is there, I'd be okay with trading back and getting a guard with one of the picks we'd receive.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
That's like saying since his dad had such a bad experience with haynesworth and the fact that he didn't attempt to sign Suh, means he will let Deforest Buckner walk when his contract is up.

And maybe the reason that Shanahan didn't sign guards this year was because they didn't fit his scheme like Nelson would.

Quinton Nelson
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 325LBS.
BENCH PRESS: 35 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 26.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 105.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.65 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.62 SEC

Andrew norwell
Height: 6' 6
Weight: 315 LBS
Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 28 INCH
Broad Jump: 105 INCH
3-Cone Drill: 8.09
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.93

Weston Richburg
HT: 6'3"
WT: 298LBS.
BENCH PRESS: 25 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 25.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 106.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.93 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.63 SEC

Alex Mack
Height: 6'4
Weight: 311
Bench Press: 20 REPS
Vertical Jump: 28 1/2 INCH
Broad Jump: 106 INCH
3-Cone Drill: 7.31 SEC
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75 SEC

"Everyone thinks we like small guards, I just like people who can move. If you're 400 pounds and can move, I'd rather have that guy than the 300-pound guy who can move the same. The problem is that most really heavy guys can't move."

-Kyle Shanahan

Last time I checked we gave 5 million to a guard.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I am against foregoing a position as important as edge of Landry is there. We can get a guard in the second or third round with less drop off in quality than edge. Same goes with inside linebacker. If Landry is already off the board, I'd be okay with Nelson, especially if Kyle and John figure guard is an important enough position to spend a top ten pick on. Even if Nelson is there, I'd be okay with trading back and getting a guard with one of the picks we'd receive.

I see all this. I really do! But I would probably still take him!
If Nelson is still there at #9, hell yes!
There is ZERO chance we go after Nelson. ZERO. I'd bet my left nut on it.
Share 49ersWebzone