LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 159 users in the forums

Would you be ok with an OG in the first?

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
There is ZERO chance we go after Nelson. ZERO. I'd bet my left nut on it.

Zero chance of the Niners trading up to get him? Is that what you're saying? What if he falls into their laps without giving anything up?
Absolutely, he'll definitely be the best player available as he's the best player in the entire draft.

Just a special talent.
Much like Barkley I don't think It's the Shanny way. Maybe if we did the trade with NE then you consider Wynn with 1 of the 1sts.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Absolutely, he'll definitely be the best player available as he's the best player in the entire draft.

Just a special talent.

100% disagree with him being the best player in the draft. Maybe I can justify an OT being the top overall player, maybe.... but never a G.
Originally posted by strickac:

Just a special talent.

100% disagree with him being the best player in the draft. Maybe I can justify an OT being the top overall player, maybe.... but never a G.

I meant in terms of talent, not draft ranking. I think he's #1, in fact outside of MadDog you can't find any respected draft analyst that thinks he's lower than 4th best in the class.
Not in the top 20, NO NO NO
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
NO! Kyle and John will never pay the second contract for a HOF guard. At nine, you've got to get a ten year player.

LMAO...that's why you wouldn't pick him? How much do you think an ER's second contract would be?

I kinda get what he's saying...every yr there's top OGs available in FA, why? Because you don't need pro bowlers at OG to have an effective offense. They can be found in the draft. Edge rushers no so much (and they're never available in FA).

Perfect example was norwell this yr, dude is a top 3 guard in the NFL yet Carolina let him walk. No way you let a top 3 OT, pass rusher, CB walk in FA (especially at 26 yrs old).

The "positional value" stance is pretty outdated esp. these days when premier G's are getting as much money as LT's. In this day and age of how much easier it is to find interior DL pass rushers, moving your top ER's over to face RT's and stunting inside, for pass protection alone, G's are key. Throw in the balance of inside and outside zone skill sets, they are even more important.

This isn't Harbaugh's offense with Mike Iupati doing one of two things...pushing straight ahead or pulling over through the RG hole.

Andrew Norwell was a very rare case in that he was an all pro the year he hit FA. Typically teams lock down players like that before hitting the market. They had no choice but to let him test the market, and naturally, he got $13.1M per.

In terms of pay now, it's LT, premier G (not far behind), C and then RT. Given the dearth of OL coming into the league, I have little doubt Kyle would adapt to today's NFL and value G as much as any position esp. after watching all three of his QB's taking big shots right up the gut.

And we're not talking about just another G that still needs a couple years of development. We're talking about the best player at his position by a mile and probably in the draft.

The fact that Nelson would be BPA at #9...AND at a massive position of need just makes this a no-brainer pick exactly like DeForest Buckner.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 23, 2018 at 7:37 AM ]
The "positional value" stance is pretty outdated esp. these days when premier G's are getting as much money as LT's. In this day and age of how much easier it is to find interior DL pass rushers, moving your top ER's over to face RT's and stunting inside, for pass protection alone, G's are key. Throw in the balance of inside and outside zone skill sets, they are even more important.

This isn't Harbaugh's offense with Mike Iupati doing one of two things...pushing straight ahead or pulling over through the RG hole.

Andrew Norwell was a very rare case in that he was an all pro the year he hit FA. Typically teams lock down players like that before hitting the market. They had no choice but to let him test the market, and naturally, he got $13.1M per.

In terms of pay now, it's LT, premier G (not far behind), C and then RT. Given the dearth of OL coming into the league, I have little doubt Kyle would adapt to today's NFL and value G as much as any position esp. after watching all three of his QB's taking big shots right up the gut.

And we're not talking about just another G that still needs a couple years of development. We're talking about the best player at his position by a mile and probably in the draft.

The fact that Nelson would be BPA at #9...AND at a massive position of need just makes this a no-brainer pick exactly like DeForest Buckner.

Great post NC, Need + Fit + Talent and you still get but he's a Guard!
Originally posted by strickac:

Just a special talent.

I meant in terms of talent, not draft ranking. I think he's #1, in fact outside of MadDog you can't find any respected draft analyst that thinks he's lower than 4th best in the class.

I mean, seriously, who's better at their respective position? Sam Darnold is better at QB than Nelson is at G?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
There is ZERO chance we go after Nelson. ZERO. I'd bet my left nut on it.

Zero chance of the Niners trading up to get him? Is that what you're saying? What if he falls into their laps without giving anything up?

I'm with this. Only if he falls to us at #9.

Great post NC, Need + Fit + Talent and you still get but he's a Guard!

That label is comical. That's like saying, hey, we have great ends on our DL. We can just "get buy" with any ol' NT...let's not draft a dominant NT like Vita Vea because we can just get by with a far lesser talent later.

MadDog has Vita Vea at 7 and Quenton Nelson at 10 on his top 50 big board.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 23, 2018 at 7:54 AM ]
I mean, seriously, who's better at their respective position? Sam Darnold is better at QB than Nelson is at G?

That's the key... at his position. A guard is a guard. There's a reason a FB or Center won't ever get drafted early.

I acknowledge that guards are more important than they used to be and it's reflected in their salaries. However, some coaches can work with lesser-rated players and find similar success, particularly in a ZBS.

Most inside zone and power schemes want maulers at guard and Nelson can be that guy. Kyle prioritizes mobility and he can find that later in the draft or FA (Cooper).

Nelson is a solid, stud prospect. He's just not at a premier position to be consider the top overall guy IMO.
If Smith, Edmunds and Landry were all gone and Nelson was the best on the board I would be fine with him. I keep reading that he may not fit the Niners system and that they prefer smaller, quicker lineman so I don't know if they would take him. I feel he is a great talent and too good to pass on if he is the best guy at the time. They would need to address LB and pass rusher with later picks and hope for the best.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Well I'd give the odds of trading up for Nelson at about a million to 1. Then I'd give the odds of taking Nelson at 9 of he falls to us at about a thousand to 1.

You guys need to go back and look at the rosters of both Shanahan's and see how much they value guards.

They both prefer guys who are scheme fits and Nelson is not a fit for a zone scheme. It would be a complete waste of his talents.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 23, 2018 at 8:28 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone