LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 177 users in the forums

Would you be ok with an OG in the first?

• napo
  • Veteran
Quenton Nelson is ranked as a top 5 prospect. OG is a low value position. Everybody here ok with taking him if he's there at #9? I think the team is better off with a top defensive prospect like Smith or Edmunds.
If we traded way down I'd be ok with Hernandez or Billy Price. Only Nelson if we stay at 9 and even then I'm hesitant. I really love nelson as a player but shanny might send him to weight watchers or some chit to get him to fit the scheme like he did with Garnett. Which would be kind of stupid as he is a monster mauler.
I'd be more than okay with it, this is the guy I want them to draft more than anyone else. But I think the chance of him falling to #9 is like maybe 5%. I can't see 8 other teams passing on this guy though, but you never know. And even if he somehow falls to #9, perhaps our front office would select someone else anyways. But I'd be super-pumped if we snagged this guy.
Off season moves indicate they are upgrading offense through FA.
I would love to have him but this is our last high pick for awhile and we need ER more than anything. If Landry or Roquan are there take one (or Davenport) and then take OBO and Nowuso. Get us a passrush and fill in our 3 LBs. I would ask at #9 if anyone wants to buy it for a pair of #23 and #31. If not take our ER, LB, OG, CB, LB, LB, and then fill in with WR and RB. But if we pass on Nelson, then we have to get OG at least by pick #59 or earlier. Once we landed JImmyG we were soooo close, and then Reuben. Welp that's what makes the draft so interesting.
Are you kidding?? I'd be pumped.
If he is the best available player on the board then YES. This team needs all kinds of help. Including O Line. You can never have too good of an O Line. So yes it would be a great pick. We can pick pass rush next year if we have to. You can't reach too much for position. If an elite prospect falls your way you pick him. Especially on a team with so many holes all over the place like we have. Jimmy G just masked our holes. But we have a lot of them. This team could pick almost anything. So pick the best player. Especially at #9. If you have a top 10 pick you have to go best player available. Anything else is a mistake. If you are in the 3rd or 4th round you can go position of need if a bunch of guys at various positions grade out pretty equally. But not in the top 10 in the 1st round. You have to take the best guy there.
I wouldn't mind. I like Nelson, Wynn, and Williams. But, I'm curious to see how the staff values the position. They have collected some former high picks in the interior. Though, I'm looking to see where they concentrate their money on.
[ Edited by zonkers on Apr 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM ]
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely...no question. Hell, after 20 years of s**tty OL play, I'd be elated!

Hell yes, and there are 137.5 million reasons why.
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Apr 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM ]
Yes. Nelson is a legit HOF level prospect. Nothing is certain but he has all the makings of a dominant G in this league for years to come as long as he's healthy.

I'd rather Landry or Roquan Smith but I'd have 0 issues with Nelson and would look forward to him clearing holes for our backs and destroying anyone trying to look funny at Jimmy.
NO! Kyle and John will never pay the second contract for a HOF guard. At nine, you've got to get a ten year player.
Nelson or Wynn would be potentially great picks in the 1st.
Id be happy. Need to protect our lord and savior.
Share 49ersWebzone