There are 213 users in the forums

Off-the-radar, surprise 1st rounder you'd be okay with?

Originally posted by NIMV4683:
For me is Braden Smith. Despite he's been just as good as Quenton Nelson only had a Day 2 grade (lower 2nd or high 3rd round pick). He's a good run blocker which help on Keryon Johnson's stats but more importantly is anchor of the line protecting Stidham with zero pressures under Smith's protection.

I think Braden Smith is quality, but he isn't a top 15 pick for me, he has been as good as Nelson in his own way, but Nelson flashes that ability to dominate at he next level, and I don't think Braden does.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
He did this season, hence the prevalence of inside zone runs, plus with Nelson he wouldn't have to.

He did because he had to with what he was given.

Unless Shanahan switches to a power scheme which will never happen Nelson will not be the pick.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I don't want any damn surprises.

This. 1 of Roquan, Nelson or Jackson and I'm good..instant starter with gamechanging abilities..
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
He did because he had to with what he was given.

Unless Shanahan switches to a power scheme which will never happen Nelson will not be the pick.

So they didn't have an offseason to shop? My point is they went and brought in Free Agents, and didn't invest in the draft, which means they may be willing to be creative or adaptive about filling holes. They brought in Lineman bigger and less skilled than Nelson, so I don't think you can suggest he wouldn't be considered, even if Kyle may have to adjust a little.

Also just because Nelson is more suited to power, doesn't mean that's all he can do.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Jan 12, 2018 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
So they didn't have an offseason to shop? My point is they went and brought in Free Agents, and didn't invest in the draft, which means they may be willing to be creative or adaptive about filling holes. They brought in Lineman bigger and less skilled than Nelson, so I don't think you can suggest he wouldn't be considered, even if Kyle may have to adjust a little.

Also just because Nelson is more suited to power, doesn't mean that's all he can do.

We didn't sign any guards other than Fusco because there was no point in signing a guy like Kevin Zeitler or Ronald Leary to big money because they aren't zone guards.

Nelson is bigger than any Offensive tackle that Shanahan has used.

We also have a 325 pound guard who was quite good on the move and Shanahan and Lynch told him to get down to 305.

Dont get me wrong. I really like Nelson and he would have been an ideal guard for the offense Harbaugh runs but there is no sense in taking a guard in the top 10 and making him do something he isn't great at or changing a whole system that is proven to work.

A guard who is an ideal fit in this system like Justin Pugh will help this offense more than plugging in Quenton Nelson.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 12, 2018 at 9:52 AM ]
Billy Price C/OG Ohio State.

3 year starter on one of the top teams in the country for the last 3 years. Focal point of the rushing attack, asked to do everything a team can ask out of a lineman and excelled. His movement, awareness, and football iq, to me, are far and away better then any interior line prospect including Nelson. He just isn't as big or strong, and instead of being a mauler, he's a technician. He is absolutely perfect for the Shanny's Zone scheme, and he could play all 3 interior positions in a cinch. When he played on the line with both Taylor Decker and Pat Elflein, he was still the focal point of the rushing attack and he cleaned up a few of Decker's mistakes in the games I've watched from 2015. When it comes to all round ability he is a better prospect than both of those players. I have seen this guy pull and not only block his man, but put his body in the way of another defender to wall off a hole from the runner, his awareness and understanding is outstanding. Nelson pops off because he puts dudes on their backs but I'd rather have my lineman block his man while staying on his feet, considering he can still position his body to get another block, whereas Nelson after body slamming a dude then jumps on him, taking himself out of the play. That body slam he did in my opinion was boneheaded. Could have gotten called for a penalty when he didn't need to do that to make the block. Nelson seems to have that singular focus of, I need to destroy my man, which is great. Price's focus though seems to be in the execution of the play, his head is always on a swivel, allowing him to not only block his man but prevent another from making the play which typically turns a potential negative into a small positive. He does this almost every game.

I know I know, Dude's a Center, or Dude's just an interior lineman, they're not worth it. I look at it differently though. Will this guy's abilities work within the scheme? Will they improve the scheme. Will he make other players around him better? Well, Yes, Yes, and Yes. He can do anything Shanny wants him to do in the outside or inside zone. He can pass block, good anchor, great leverage, good arm extension. He can get to the second level and has the athleticism to reach his man and make the block. He is fundamentally sound and always knows who/what his assignment is. No I don't know the plays called, but when you watch him, you see his head and eyes scan and sift, and boom he's on his guy. He literally makes up for other guy's mistakes during the play. Besides one of these Leo prospects potentially being perfect for us, I believe Billy Price would have the biggest impact. With him on the interior the run and pass game would improve. Carlos Hyde isn't assertive nor elusive enough as a runner in this scheme and the timing of the running lanes was completely inconsistent this year, and yet he still almost put up 1k and had over 50 receptions. In an offense that was stuck in the mud until Jimmy arrived. Price would add athleticism, consistency, and awareness to the line, while being able to anchor in pass pro, and pull and lead during runs, the impact he would have would be found in the offenses consistency and flow. A #1 WR means nothing if he can't complete his route before the QB has to get rid of the ball. #1 RB means nothing if interior d-lineman can get instant penetration. #1 ER means nothing if he gets the ball back and the offense can't bleed out the clock because of their inability to run when the defense knows it's coming.

Everyone is high on Nelson, I get it the man is good he has an NFL body and NFL strength, but just look at him pulling, he is slow. What I mean by that is when he pulls he isn't quick enough to get around and in front, where he's supposed/needs to be. Defenders are even quicker in the NFL, if he is slow on pulls in college causing plays to be ineffective how is that going to translate at the next level. Price shows the athleticism to not only pull and get to his spot but also block multiple defenders at a time.

I would try and trade back in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd plus whatever else evens the points out. Grab Billy Price late 1st. Take both 2's and trade up high into the 2nd and grab Tremaine Edmunds, who could play weak or strong side lb for us, while also rushing the passer on certain packages. Then I'd use the 1st 3rd on a guy like Jake Weineke from South Dakota State. Next 3rd either a DB or ER. Use FA to get another solid OG & DB and try and get a bargain rusher like Ansah coming off consecutive down years. Next year the team could focus on getting the best pass rusher available in FA/Draft.

Arden Key
Joshua Jackson
Roquan Smith
Billy Price

I see those 4 as being the prospects who would make the biggest impact on this team. There downsides would also have the least effect on the team, unless Jackson turned out to be worse than D. Johnson this year . Nelson would only help with inside zone and some power concepts. In pass pro guys like Donald and Bennett and Jones would be to quick and violent for him in my opinion. Especially if he's lined up on the right next to Brown. Barkley would be great but his numbers would probably go up and down, because of the line and it's inconsistencies. Fitzpatrick I don't believe would be a dependable Corner in Year 1, maybe he would progress, but I see him as a better version of Tartt as it stands now.

Every time I post I tell myself to try and keep it short. Every time I fail lol. If you read my post[s] all the way through, whether you agree or disagree I appreciate it.
^if they can trade back into the 20s I'd be on board with Price
Nelson would be a surprise for sure. He's a fan favorite but I don't see it happening at all
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

If we're trading back for a center I want Ragnow later

Yea I like Bills or Jacksonville trading up for a QB, 1st this year and next for 9/10

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Yea I like Bills or Jacksonville trading up for a QB, 1st this year and next for 9/10

Bills, yes. I think Jax wants a vet to win now.

Smith or Keenum would be my guess
Originally posted by strickac:
If we're trading back for a center I want Ragnow later

Price played 2 years at guard before moving to center. He is plug and play at all 3 positions at the next level. More athletic than Nelson, Ragnow, and Wynn.
[ Edited by NinerLegionnaire on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:58 PM ]
As long as we get Wyatt Teller at some point I'll be happy
Marcus Davenport. High risk, high reward pick at our biggest position of need. I wouldn't love it on draft day, but I could live with it for sure.

Another one would be Darius Guice. I LOVE the way he runs. I just don't feel like an RB is worth that pick unless it's a generational talent like Barkley.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of position and not necessarily a specific prospect.

I think you "could" make an argument for just about any position save QB or DT.

And Hero, stop lying, you love surprises!

Share 49ersWebzone