LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Off-the-radar, surprise 1st rounder you'd be okay with?

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by English:
I dont think Smith is anywhere near an off-the-radar surprise 1st rounder.

Smith is a star and his game does resemble Patrick's. However, this draft is all about protecting the prize of the franchise. Nelson is 6'5, 330 pounds, if he's there it would be tough to pass. I'd go a step further in drafting another guard at 2 or 3 and the inside would be set. There's plenty of cash for free agents. This off season sets up the team for the next 5 years.

Agreed.
Conner Williams if we stay at 10...I think he could push inside and be a top end OG with upside to play tackle after joe leaves.
What defines surprise at this point?

I guess I'd say Marcus Davenport or Clelin Ferrell
1. Arden Key

He's hated on this site, but he looks like the best pass rusher in this class. I have him right behind Chubb, but that's because Chubb's whole game is much better. If Key settles the doubt about his non-football stuff, he could be our top pick.

1a. Clelin Ferrell

I love his length and ability to keep OTs at a distance. Good hands and can win inside or out. I want to like Landry here because he's so quick and can bend so well, but if he can't get around he OT he usually can't counter back inside. Clelin has a better all-around game for the LEO spot.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Smith is a star and his game does resemble Patrick's. However, this draft is all about protecting the prize of the franchise. Nelson is 6'5, 330 pounds, if he's there it would be tough to pass. I'd go a step further in drafting another guard at 2 or 3 and the inside would be set. There's plenty of cash for free agents. This off season sets up the team for the next 5 years.

When was the last time Shanahan hand picked a 330 pound guard?

Answer: Never
SAM LB- Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech.
Clelin Ferrell
Marcus Davenport
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

When was the last 330 pound Guard with an All round game like Nelson's?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
When was the last 330 pound Guard with an All round game like Nelson's?

It doesn't matter. Shanahan will not change what he does to accommodate a guard.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
For me, it's Quentin Nelson. I've been saying for the last month or so that I don't think Shanahan will draft a O-lineman in the 1st round let alone in the top 10. He would shock the hell outta me if he did that.

Doesnt mean he won't. Merely that to date he hasn't.
For me is Braden Smith. Despite he's been just as good as Quenton Nelson only had a Day 2 grade (lower 2nd or high 3rd round pick). He's a good run blocker which help on Keryon Johnson's stats but more importantly is anchor of the line protecting Stidham with zero pressures under Smith's protection.
It doesn't matter. Shanahan will not change what he does to accommodate a guard.

He did this season, hence the prevalence of inside zone runs, plus with Nelson he wouldn't have to.
I don't want any damn surprises.
Originally posted by NIMV4683:
For me is Braden Smith. Despite he's been just as good as Quenton Nelson only had a Day 2 grade (lower 2nd or high 3rd round pick). He's a good run blocker which help on Keryon Johnson's stats but more importantly is anchor of the line protecting Stidham with zero pressures under Smith's protection.

I hope your not saying at 9-10 that we take Smith. He's good but that's a REEEAAAAACCCCCHHHHH
Share 49ersWebzone