LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 307 users in the forums

Off-the-radar, surprise 1st rounder you'd be okay with?

"Who cares. Figure it out."

Must have graduated from the Baalke school of drafting.
5T- Solomon Thomas
NT- Vita Vea 
3T- Deforest Buckner
LEO- Ziggy Ansah

That would be one of the most dominant lines in the league. I'm not too fond of taking a Dlinemen again but it all starts in the trenches.

Honestly, if we got any one of Vita Vea, Quenton Nelson or Roquan Smith we would be in great shape. All 3 guys could be difference makers.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Well we drafted Solomon and he didn't have a position but he still helped transform our horrendous D.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Well we drafted Solomon and he didn't have a position but he still helped transform our horrendous D.

Hang on, weren't you one of Solomon's biggest critics?
Vita Vea is grossly over rated.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Hang on, weren't you one of Solomon's biggest critics?

Still am. But he did help our run D. I've said as much.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

On the over rated list in this years draft he would be pretty far down and after all the QBs, most of the OTs, many of the edge rushers and all the WRs.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

On the over rated list in this years draft he would be pretty far down and after all the QBs, most of the OTs, many of the edge rushers and all the WRs.

Yup. I wanted the us to trade down and take Jordan Phillips with our first the year we took Armstead and everyone said he was overrated. Now with Vea I think people just don't like true run stuffers because it's not flashy. There is s huge difference between what Mitchell does versus what Vea can do in the run game.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

All the WR's except Anthony Miller!!!!

As for Vea, I love the athleticism combined with the size, and hey we can build our D how we want, but I just see our NT position as an easy fill, I think DJ Jones will be fine, they really don't have don't have to do a lot
Originally posted by eavalerio:
Georgia LB Smith, next to foster they would rule the middle of our defense for the next 10 years. What Willis and Bo should have done.

He's not off the radar type of player. In fact, he's a webzone favorite.

Originally posted by Heroism:

Let NT bust shame him for a couple seasons and go from there.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by eavalerio:
Georgia LB Smith, next to foster they would rule the middle of our defense for the next 10 years. What Willis and Bo should have done.

He's not off the radar type of player. In fact, he's a webzone favorite.

Youre my boy but no way... I dont trust Gruden we gotta get the 9th pick and be in control.
Im still going with this guy. Lynch going to fall in love.

Sign Ansah and Johnson in FA and this Defense can be special.

Davenport
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by NinerLegionnaire:
Originally posted by fan49:
But Nelson is the best lineman in the draft

My opinion, but I don't believe he's the best for the zone running game. I believe Price is, he has also been consistent for 3 years, whereas Nelson really hasn't. Watch Nelson's tape vs Michigan State in 2016. Nelson has a few impressive plays, but gets beat far too often. Quick DL with enough strength can consistently beat him with proper technique and leverage, again just what I think. Senior Bowl/Combine should tell a lot about each guy's overall ability.

Price is consistent? Go watch the Michigan game. Dude was all over the place. Better player in 2017, Nelson easily.

I have, and every other game from both Price and Nelson on Draftbreakdown. And I stand by what I said. The Michigan game isn't even bad, watch it again yourself. Harbaugh and that Michigan Defense knew exactly how to attack Ohio state's offense. They attacked the gap when he pulled and were flying off the edge beating him to the spot that no Center is going to be able to get to. They scouted that offense and had a great gameplan focused on taking the head off of Ohio State's rushing attack which meant stopping Billy Price. When Price was playing next to Decker and Elflein he was still the focal point of the rushing attack. Price does what lineman in our scheme need to do better than anyone in the draft.

I really don't know what you mean by all over the place? Please explain.

If you mean the reach blocks that he typically executes, I see what you're saying but that's the effect of Michigan's gameplan. I don't know the correct terminology but the d-lineman would scrape and sandwich him on many of the plays he wasn't pulling and Ohio State wasn't changing the play calling to counter that and still trying to run right behind him, where the defense was attacking. Otherwise maybe you're talking about the few plays at the beginning in which he pulled. On the play where the edge rusher beats him to the spot, to me that's a gameplan play. They scouted that knew where he was pulling and the edge defender flew off the line, when you've been having your center (former guard) pulling and leading the 2nd level for 3 years, teams, especially the good ones will have a plan of attack.

Another thing, using 1 game out of 3 years of high quality play against high quality teams to judge a player's consistency just doesn't make any sense.
Share 49ersWebzone