LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Tremaine Edmunds - LB - Virginia Tech

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here's my thoughts on the kid: Better athlete than football player. He is going to test off the charts at the combine...however, he doesn't have great football instincts, nor great football intelligence. In nearly every game I watched this year, he makes one really bad decision/mental mistake that causes a HUGE chunk play. He will collect tackles (he is a very solid tackler) and flash at times due to his incredible athleticism. However, overall, he is NOT a first round football player to me.

I pretty much feel the same way. His athleticism is exceptional and when he's making a full and fast flow reads(ie outside zone), he looks incredible running to the ball. However, during tight flow read(ie vs a dive, iso) that require playing aggressively downhill through trash, his attack steps can become inefficient, and he'll often play himself out of the window. People like to give Roquan s**t for his struggles taking on blocks and rightfully so, but Edmunds has the exact same issue despite being 6'5" 250 lbs. He's really good in man once he's got his guy, but I think he struggles with processing route combos in space and keeping his head on a swivel in coverage.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 23, 2018 at 11:18 AM ]
Would be awesome to get a LB that can play SAM AND be a very good edge rusher in passing situations. Lots of options at our pick.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Would be awesome to get a LB that can play SAM AND be a very good edge rusher in passing situations. Lots of options at our pick.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190034-ogbonnia-okoronkwo-olb-oklahoma/

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/189587-jeff-holland-olb-auburn/

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 23, 2018 at 10:26 AM ]
He's my choice with a trade back. I just don't want a bunch of small LBs on the field at the same time. Edmunds is an intimating presence against the both pass and the run. His size and athleticism would have to be accounted for in our defense. If we didn't have Foster already then bring on Smith.
Originally posted by Heroism:
#3 player on Daniel Jeremiah's big board.

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

Edmunds has a unique blend of size, length and athleticism. He primarily lines up off the line of scrimmage, but does get some work rushing off the edge. Against the run, he is quick to key, fill and finish as a tackler. He has rare lateral range and collects tackles from sideline to sideline. The former Hokie flashes the ability to shoot his hands and play off blocks, but this is one area where he can improve. Against the pass, he easily mirrors running backs and tight ends; there are even examples of him matching up and redirecting vs. slot receivers. He offers tremendous upside as an edge rusher, where he can dip/rip and bend around the edge. Overall, Edmunds has All-Pro ability. His upside is outrageous.

This. Not sure why this nugget has been overlooked by the zoners in love with Roquan
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
This. Not sure why this nugget has been overlooked by the zoners in love with Roquan

Well, rankings are subjective. Most people prefer to use their own eyes and draw their own conclusions.

Also, those rankings are not set in stone. They are fluid and will look totally different closer to the draft.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 25, 2018 at 4:15 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here's my thoughts on the kid: Better athlete than football player. He is going to test off the charts at the combine...however, he doesn't have great football instincts, nor great football intelligence. In nearly every game I watched this year, he makes one really bad decision/mental mistake that causes a HUGE chunk play. He will collect tackles (he is a very solid tackler) and flash at times due to his incredible athleticism. However, overall, he is NOT a first round football player to me.

This. He's the Josh Allen of LBs. Ranked super high because of physical traits that he often doesnt know what to do with. He and Jefferson are two of the biggest boom/bust LBs in the draft.

Physically and athletically he looks the part of a Top 5 player. Mentally he seems to be all over the place.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. He's the Josh Allen of LBs. Ranked super high because of physical traits that he often doesnt know what to do with. He and Jefferson are two of the biggest boom/bust LBs in the draft.

Physically and athletically he looks the part of a Top 5 player. Mentally he seems to be all over the place.

Disagree on the Josh Allen example. Edmunds was actually good and productive this past season, Allen was not.
Edmunds>>>Smith for our team if LB is the 1st pick. We do not need any more 6ft 220lbs LBs.
I would take him over Roquan any day of the week. Overall, I would say they both are tied for best linebacker in the class, but Edmunds is just a freak of nature. I have never seen someone of his size fly around the field the way he does and bring the hammer on every tackle. He has shown the athletic ability to stay with backs and tight ends, so his minor struggles and lapses in coverage don't worry me that much.

Originally posted by Dman11:
I would take him over Roquan any day of the week. Overall, I would say they both are tied for best linebacker in the class, but Edmunds is just a freak of nature. I have never seen someone of his size fly around the field the way he does and bring the hammer on every tackle. He has shown the athletic ability to stay with backs and tight ends, so his minor struggles and lapses in coverage don't worry me that much.

Athletic ability only gets you so far. The NFL is full of great athletes What will determine whether or not Edmunds succeeds, and where Roquan has a large advantage right now is having a fundamental understanding and awareness of where the football is going.

All the speed and size in the world is meaningless if you're constantly having to guess where to go. The greatest LBs simply just know.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Disagree on the Josh Allen example. Edmunds was actually good and productive this past season, Allen was not.

Was he good based on what was going on upstairs or good because he was simply a superb athlete?

Josh Allen had some great games too, he has tremendous size and a cannon for an arm but hasn't been able to quite harness it.

Edmunds is a bull in a china shop right now, great size and athleticism, just not super consistent. I wouldn't be upset if the 49ers drafted him because he does have tremendous upside.

I liken him to Jamie Collins in terms of a guy who is superbly athletic and versatile but also somewhat undisciplined and liable to give up some big plays as a result.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Edmunds>>>Smith for our team if LB is the 1st pick. We do not need any more 6ft 220lbs LBs.

You're right, 49ers don't need anymore LB's that can play sideline to sideline and diagnose plays. We already have one those, what good would it do if we add another.

It also really sucked having Bowman and Willis together, what in the hell was Baalke thinking, lets hope Lynch doesn't make that same mistake!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Ark49er:

You're right, 49ers don't need anymore LB's that can play sideline to sideline and diagnose plays. We already have one those, what good would it do if we add another.

It also really sucked having Bowman and Willis together, what in the hell was Baalke thinking, lets hope Lynch doesn't make that same mistake!!!

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Dman11:

Athletic ability only gets you so far. The NFL is full of great athletes What will determine whether or not Edmunds succeeds, and where Roquan has a large advantage right now is having a fundamental understanding and awareness of where the football is going.

All the speed and size in the world is meaningless if you're constantly having to guess where to go. The greatest LBs simply just know.

It's called having instincts.
Share 49ersWebzone