LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Tremaine Edmunds - LB - Virginia Tech

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Nice prototype LB
Height: 6′ 5″
Weight: 249 lbs
Draft proj: Late 1st to mid 2nd round (Dec 2017)
Would draft him if he fell to the NO pick or our 3rd.

Would love to replace Coyle with him to have him a Foster work together upfront. He's still raw and you catch a few mental mistakes that coaching and vet guidance can clear up (watch the WVU film). I think we have the staff to help him reach his full potential here.
Probably the third best LB in the class and would present excellent value if dropping down to the NO pick in the 2nd or later.
Seems more like a 3-4 OLB. I can see him coming off the edge as a 4-3 DE though. Maybe decent enough drop-back coverage skills for a zone-blitz scheme.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Seems more like a 3-4 OLB. I can see him coming off the edge as a 4-3 DE though. Maybe decent enough drop-back coverage skills for a zone-blitz scheme.

Thats what our SAM essentially is.
I've been watching this guy's tape tonight. He reminds me a lot of De'Vondre Campbell, Atlanta's Will LB in the same defense that we run. Maybe even a little Anthony Barr. Big time athleticism from Edmunds in a long, physical package. Good instincts making his flow reads and reading QBs from a hook zone. He plays with surprisingly solid pad level for a taller LB. Trying to move this guy to the edge is a mistake. He's an off-ball LB.

Ridiculous athleticism for a guy 6'5 240 lbs. Covers a ton of ground.

Playing back side hook defender. Reads QB's eyes while mirroring the leaking RB in his peripheral. Clicks and closes. Ridiculous closing speed. Finishes with the boom.

Tall but can play in a phone booth. Nice job of staying clean in traffic with a little sidestep to evade the climbing guard.

Outside zone pin-pull here. Edmunds mirrors the path to the 'back and shoots his gun when he sees daylight.

Biggest weaknesses I've noticed are some mental blunders in coverage. Seen some busted coverages/blown assignments in which Edmunds was the culprit.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 23, 2018 at 8:30 AM ]
Looks like another solid target incase we dont get Roquan,Jefferson,Evans?
I wouldn't sleep on this guy. He seems like a top 15 pick for me. He is an absolute perfect SAM linebacker. A guy who can disrupt the run on base downs and move to LEO on passing downs. I love this guy.

2016- 94 tackles, 16.5 losses, 4.5 sacks, 1 INT
2017- 108 tackles, 14 losses, 5.5 sacks

I can't believe this guy isn't being talked about as a top 15 pick. IMO he is more well rounded and disruptive than Roquan Smith. If he runs a 4.5 at the combine his stock is going to soar.

The film on this guy is amazing.
https://youtu.be/O_alNNzT1n0

He can play inside and outside linebacker — plus he has the length and size (6-5, 236lbs) to play some LEO. He attacks the LOS making numerous plays in the backfield (32.5 TFL's and 10 sacks in 2016 & 2017). His pursuit is unreal, with ideal closing speed.

It's very hard to identify holes in his game. He plays coverage well, he's mobile, he has the size and the ability to play any linebacker position. His run defense is one of his best assets — he's so tough and physical but he's no slouch in coverage.
 https://www.google.ca/amp/blog.seattlepi.com/seahawksdraftblog/2017/12/19/tremaine-edmunds-is-a-first-round-talent/amp/
It's a very deep class for line backer indeed.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
It's a very deep class for line backer indeed.

Edmunds is in.

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 10, 2018 at 10:18 AM ]

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Jefferson? Nah.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Jefferson? Nah.

Heard/Seen he was/is a solid late 1st-early 2nd guy.

Who yall like better next to Reuben...Edmunds or Evans?
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jan 11, 2018 at 2:59 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Jefferson? Nah.

Heard/Seen he was/is a solid late 1st-early 2nd guy.

Who yall like better next to Reuben...Edmunds or Evans?

Evans.
I've been watching more Edmunds tape, and this guy is borderline freakish. He doesn't have Roquan's instincts and diagnosis ability, but his athleticism at his size is freaky. Dude blankets wheel and angle routes by RBs with ease.

Oh yeah, he's only 19 years old...wtfffffff
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:17 AM ]
Won't see Roquan bust coverages like this. This is bad. VT is in a combo coverage with man on Edmunds' side. Edmunds has a brain fart and loses track of his assignment. No bueno.

Share 49ersWebzone