I want one of the QBs.
I just find it hard to believe that they don't like ANY of the QBs in this draft. If you're going to be waiting around for that "perfect" Andrew Luck prospect, they're going to be waiting a long time.
I think its foolish to wait for next year when you don't know what the Kirk Cousins situation is going to be, you don't know who is going to declare for the NFL draft next year, and you don't even know which QBs are going to regress even further.
People like Sam Darnold now, but things can change quickly once defenses key in on his habits.
There are 695 users in the forums
Poll: Who do you want at 2nd overall?
Poll: Who do you want at 2nd overall?
Apr 23, 2017 at 9:50 AM
- Ensatsu
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,417
Apr 23, 2017 at 10:11 AM
- The411
- Veteran
- Posts: 248
As long as it isn't a QB or Garrett.
Apr 23, 2017 at 10:38 AM
- 49erphan
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,710
Originally posted by Draftology:
Everyone was all in on Buckner last year though...not sexy. My issue with Thomas is where would he play on third down? Are we already giving up on Armstead and letting Thomas rush from the inside? Or are we not going to put him in the best position to succeed and make him rush from the outside? I see diminishing returns with Thomas. Whereas Fournette sharing the backfield with Hyde will keep them both healthy next season and then Fournette becomes the centerpiece of our offense the following year when Hyde's contract expires.
I think Thomas will probably have a better career than AA, but I think AA will be a much better than average pass rusher and at least average run stopper. It's not that the last two first round picks went d-line but that Thomas has to add more to the team than any of the other guys that could be picked at #2. Buckner is has a very good chance of being a perennial pro-bowler. Would the team be better off with two perennial pro-bowlers on the d-line or one on the d-line and one at strong safety (Adams) or free safety (Hooker) or maybe running back (Fournette)? I think the latter.
Of Adams, Hooker or Fournette, I think Adams is the most sure fire to be a perennial pro-bowler but the 9ers have Reid and Tartt who are probably at least solid at the position. Fournette is probably going to be a top 5 running back for at least a few years, but we may only get one shot at a pick this high for quite awhile (I hope) and I'd like to see it go for a player that will probably have high productivity for more years than an especially aggressive running back. Also, though I have no doubt that Shannahan would do excellent things with Fournette, that Fournette is not a tight fit for what Shannahan wants to do (he would do even better in some other offenses). So that leaves Hooker. I think Ward would make a good single high FS, but I think he would add more to the team as a cornerback and drop down to cover the slot when needed. Hooker has a lower floor than Adams but I think his ceiling may even be a bit higher. Though I think it is a hyperbole to say that FS is the most crucial position in this defense, I think it is true that having a first rate single high FS would provide an important linchpin for the defense.
That's my reasoning for wanting Hooker if they don't trade down. But there's a good chance that I have just liked Hooker more from the beginning and I have worked backwards from there to come up with justification for what I emotionally already decided.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Apr 23, 2017 at 10:46 AM ]
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM
- LasVegasWally
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,886
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Hooker.
And some drugs too
And some Jack Daniels
![]()
Keeps getting better.
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:09 AM
- Draftology
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,168
Originally posted by 49erphan:I definitely wouldn't hate selecting Hooker. He's talented and has a ton of upside. However, of the guys you mentioned, I think he is the most likely to end up being a bust. That's not meant to be an indictment on Hooker. The other guys just provide more data points to make a decision - all have started for multiple years and participated throughout the pre-draft process whereas Hooker hasn't done either of those things. I don't know if we can afford to whiff on this pick, so I'd prefer to invest it in a player that is less likely to fail.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Everyone was all in on Buckner last year though...not sexy. My issue with Thomas is where would he play on third down? Are we already giving up on Armstead and letting Thomas rush from the inside? Or are we not going to put him in the best position to succeed and make him rush from the outside? I see diminishing returns with Thomas. Whereas Fournette sharing the backfield with Hyde will keep them both healthy next season and then Fournette becomes the centerpiece of our offense the following year when Hyde's contract expires.
I think Thomas will probably have a better career than AA, but I think AA will be a much better than average pass rusher and at least average run stopper. It's not that the last two first round picks went d-line but that Thomas has to add more to the team than any of the other guys that could be picked at #2. Buckner is has a very good chance of being a perennial pro-bowler. Would the team be better off with two perennial pro-bowlers on the d-line or one on the d-line and one at strong safety (Adams) or free safety (Hooker) or maybe running back (Fournette)? I think the latter.
Of Adams, Hooker or Fournette, I think Adams is the most sure fire to be a perennial pro-bowler but the 9ers have Reid and Tartt who are probably at least solid at the position. Fournette is probably going to be a top 5 running back for at least a few years, but we may only get one shot at a pick this high for quite awhile (I hope) and I'd like to see it go for a player that will probably have high productivity for more years than an especially aggressive running back. Also, though I have no doubt that Shannahan would do excellent things with Fournette, that Fournette is not a tight fit for what Shannahan wants to do (he would do even better in some other offenses). So that leaves Hooker. I think Ward would make a good single high FS, but I think he would add more to the team as a cornerback and drop down to cover the slot when needed. Hooker has a lower floor than Adams but I think his ceiling may even be a bit higher. Though I think it is a hyperbole to say that FS is the most crucial position in this defense, I think it is true that having a first rate single high FS would provide an important linchpin for the defense.
That's my reasoning for wanting Hooker if they don't trade down. But there's a good chance that I have just liked Hooker more from the beginning and I have worked backwards from there to come up with justification for what I emotionally already decided.
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:11 AM
- Sourball
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,279
Other- Garrett
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM
- Brewcrew
- Member
- Posts: 268
Originally posted by chris9ers:Reuben Foster is my number guy! Hooker is next on the list.
This he is going to be a stud!
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:30 AM
- Tylerawiseguy
- Member
- Posts: 584
Leonard Fournette hands down and its not even close !!!!!
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:32 AM
- English
- Moderator
- Posts: 41,417
Originally posted by The411:As long as it isn't a QB or Garrett.
Wut? You serious?
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:42 AM
- YungAce
- Veteran
- Posts: 46,920
1. Garrett
2. Fournette
3. Hooker
I wouldn't oppose finding a way to draft Mike WIlliams and Reuben Foster via trade either.
2. Fournette
3. Hooker
I wouldn't oppose finding a way to draft Mike WIlliams and Reuben Foster via trade either.
Apr 23, 2017 at 1:09 PM
- davewaymer49
- Veteran
- Posts: 78
Mitchell is the pick IMO fournette be my Second choice,
Apr 23, 2017 at 1:32 PM
- post_primitive
- Veteran
- Posts: 515
My choice at #2 would be the 12th overall, two more day two pics, and next year's first.
Apr 23, 2017 at 1:46 PM
- 49erInTheMidwest
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,673
Only offensive guys I want in the first round would (probably) come from trading back, Mike Williams and Patrick Mahomes, wouldn't mind Davis or OLine though... if we stay at 2, gimme Hooker or Thomas.. I go back and forth.
Mike Williams is going to be a force in the NFL, anyone who doesn't see it is wrong imo
Mahomes is going to become an elite QB, I really think so. Combination of Favre, Big Ben, and Manziel escapability.. buddy's a gunslinger. With Shanahan, I could see this kid becoming something special.
Hooker would be key for making this defense get going in the new scheme.
Thomas is going to be a great DLine player in the league.. but it means moving on from AA.. which I'm okay with. But for those of you who want to give AA one more year..
Take Hooker at 2, Rivers or Harris at 34
The "screw value, don't miss your guy, get the guy you have a good feeling about" pick - Mike Williams or Patrick Mahomes
Mike Williams is going to be a force in the NFL, anyone who doesn't see it is wrong imo
Mahomes is going to become an elite QB, I really think so. Combination of Favre, Big Ben, and Manziel escapability.. buddy's a gunslinger. With Shanahan, I could see this kid becoming something special.
Hooker would be key for making this defense get going in the new scheme.
Thomas is going to be a great DLine player in the league.. but it means moving on from AA.. which I'm okay with. But for those of you who want to give AA one more year..
Take Hooker at 2, Rivers or Harris at 34
The "screw value, don't miss your guy, get the guy you have a good feeling about" pick - Mike Williams or Patrick Mahomes
Apr 23, 2017 at 9:21 PM
- SofaKing
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,442
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
The fact that the voting is so close just further reiterates the sheer depth of talent there is in this draft. Been awhile since I remember the pecking order in the first 15 picks of this draft being so up in the air.
I agree. The draft is very deep, people have a wide range of personal favorites. There's more uncertainty at the top of the draft than I can recall in awhile. Its a fun draft to think about, because we have needs most everywhere and this draft has plenty of options throughout.
Apr 23, 2017 at 9:23 PM
- awp8912
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,833
#2 - Patrick Mahomes
#34 - Christian McCaffrey
Leggo
#34 - Christian McCaffrey
Leggo
