LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Poll: Who do you want at 2nd overall?

Poll: Who do you want at 2nd overall?

Originally posted by Rascal:
Very encouraging results so far from my standpoint.

I also thought the bulk of the Webzone would be for Thomas since his thread blew up at the time.

However, I also knew from the word go that he is not the right player, being a tweener and all and I never bought into the hype although he could still end up being picked. So, we shall have to see next week.

What is surprising is Fournette. Sure, I like the guy, but when I first got onto Fournette's case, needless to say there were a lot of opposition. I guess this proves the fans are finally coming around to view Fournette as a legit candidate for the 2 pick. Seriously, I expected Fournette to be last and not only is he not last, the fact that he is 2nd speaks volumes.

May be Fournette at 2 is not as crazy a pick as what some people had initially thought.

Thomas has never been a favorite around here. There are just a few of us who are pretty vocal about his talent and potential to make that thread going..similar to what you're doing with Fournette.

Too many people can't get over the whole "but we just drafted 2 DL in a row" to have Thomas be the favorite. Webzone loves flashy. They see a DLman with 8 sacks and it's not sexy enough.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The results at the top are a little surprising, but thats why I started the thread! I really wanted to see who the WZ has their sights set on.

I'm guessing most people who voted "other" went with Reuben Foster. With no clear cut #2 best player after Garrett, the results are fairly evenly spread out so far between Hooker, Fournette, Trubisky, and Thomas.

Hooker fits a need as the true single-high safety who can cover ground in a flash. His range in coverage is rare. I can see why he's the top vote getter so far.

I'm surprised Lattimore has not garnered a single vote yet.

He does now. I'd prefer to trade back and still get him, but I want a shut down corner on the team.
Only 90 votes as of this post, but I'm also surprised that Hooker is in the lead. His thread regularly drops to the bottom of the page - not nearly as "popular" as Thomas and Fournette. I think that may be due to him being the most "palatable". Like some have said, there's strong opposition to drafting at 2, 3 DL in a row, or a RB. I wonder if this is so much a vote for Hooker as it is a vote against those two things, and ofc most not seeing a qb worthy of 2.

Side note: I think some of the "other" are thinking Mahomes, Barnett.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 23, 2017 at 6:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Only 90 votes as of this post, but I'm also surprised that Hooker is in the lead. His thread regularly drops to the bottom of the page - not nearly as "popular" as Thomas and Fournette. I think that may be due to him being the most "palatable". Like some have said, there's strong opposition to drafting at 2, 3 DL in a row, or a RB. I wonder if this is so much a vote for Hooker as it is a vote against those two things, and ofc most not seeing a qb worthy of 2.

Side note: I think some of the "other" are thinking Mahomes, Barnett.

I think that the reason that the Fournette and Thomas polls are "popular" is because there is so much disagreement. Lots of fighting on the Fournette thread.

My big shock is how low Adams is--3%.

I trust the team to pick someone good. The team has a lot more info than we do, both about the players themselves and also about how specifically they want to build the team. Even then it's still a crap shoot.

Happy Sunday everyone.
Well, whoever i voted for today, almost certainly i will change my mind tomorrow. And i don't think I'm alone. To make it more confusing, i don't think any of us know which way our guys(Kyle and Lynch) are going....QB or D? Surely an OC/HC wants a QB. But none of us know right now if john and kyle think any of these top 4 or 5 are worth the 2nd pick on Thurs. And there is an awareness on the WZ that trading down is not just an idle thot. Does Shanalynch want an IMPACT player or 2 good starters? Do they want to finish off one side of the ball, ie O, with a Williams or Corey....or do they want a definite IMPACT player in Solomon or Allen? I think if you did another poll, and i would like to see it, that a majority of folks are expecting us to trade down. If so, that means that KYle does NOT see Trubs as a sure fire FR QB. Or is "potential" just good enough for him?

If one of the choices were trade down instead of a player, i bet over half would say trade down. But it goes without saying we get a starter with our trade pick and a high pick in rd 2 for a second starter. With so many gaping holes at NT, ILB, OLB/DE/ER, CB, S, (we need 2 LBs), not to mention FRQB...does shanalynch go quantity or quality of first pick? That's why this poll seems so skewed, i think. Just guessing.
Given who this FO has reviewed: QB (8), ER (7) and S & CB (6), I'd say take your pick...but FQB is the most important and has to be our biggest need by far followed by ER and CB/FS.

Trubisky
Garrett
Hooker
Lattimore
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
I don't really like anyone at #2 and think it's pretty obvious that the best strategy is to trade down. If I could, I'd trade down multiple times and try to acquire 4 - 6 picks in the first three rounds.

But assuming we can't find a trading partner, the best pick at #2 is going to be a guy who's not only a great football player, but a leader and a standard setter. Normally that would be a QB, but that's just not the case this year.

Lynch and Shanahan have said again and again that character matters, and when you're laying the foundation of a new team (and picking #2), I agree. Of the top 5 or 6 talents in this draft, two stand out for their work ethic, leadership, and character: Solomon Thomas and Jamal Adams.

I'd take Adams. He's a once-in-a-decade talent at Safety. He'll quickly become the QB of the defense and you can build around him for years. Adams could be our Ronnie Lott.
18% for Fournette huh. Somebody stop letting Rascal vote more than once!
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Apr 23, 2017 at 8:31 AM ]
allen if his shoulder is healthy.
The fact that the voting is so close just further reiterates the sheer depth of talent there is in this draft. Been awhile since I remember the pecking order in the first 15 picks of this draft being so up in the air.

Originally posted by Lifer:
I don't really like anyone at #2 and think it's pretty obvious that the best strategy is to trade down. If I could, I'd trade down multiple times and try to acquire 4 - 6 picks in the first three rounds.

But assuming we can't find a trading partner, the best pick at #2 is going to be a guy who's not only a great football player, but a leader and a standard setter. Normally that would be a QB, but that's just not the case this year.

Lynch and Shanahan have said again and again that character matters, and when you're laying the foundation of a new team (and picking #2), I agree. Of the top 5 or 6 talents in this draft, two stand out for their work ethic, leadership, and character: Solomon Thomas and Jamal Adams.

I'd take Adams. He's a once-in-a-decade talent at Safety. He'll quickly become the QB of the defense and you can build around him for years. Adams could be our Ronnie Lott.
That will be my pick....safest pick with the highest floor.

• A top 5 pick prospect in almost every top 100 prospects board
  • No injuries concerns
  • On-off the field great character
  • Leadership
  • High football IQ
  • 4.33 40 in his pro day
  • Hybrid player, can line him near the line of scrimmage, the secondary and special teams
  • Pedigree (George Adams father played in the NFL) not in terms of genetics but of his support system while making the transition to the league.
Fournette!

If not Fournette, then Hooker, or possibly a QB since it means Shannalynch feels he could become a franchise QB, and they know a heck of a lot more than I do..
[ Edited by hello28 on Apr 23, 2017 at 9:26 AM ]
Fournette
LF
Originally posted by genus49:
Thomas has never been a favorite around here. There are just a few of us who are pretty vocal about his talent and potential to make that thread going..similar to what you're doing with Fournette.

Too many people can't get over the whole "but we just drafted 2 DL in a row" to have Thomas be the favorite. Webzone loves flashy. They see a DLman with 8 sacks and it's not sexy enough.
Everyone was all in on Buckner last year though...not sexy. My issue with Thomas is where would he play on third down? Are we already giving up on Armstead and letting Thomas rush from the inside? Or are we not going to put him in the best position to succeed and make him rush from the outside? I see diminishing returns with Thomas. Whereas Fournette sharing the backfield with Hyde will keep them both healthy next season and then Fournette becomes the centerpiece of our offense the following year when Hyde's contract expires.
Share 49ersWebzone