Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Hooker.

And some drugs too

And some Jack Daniels

Keeps getting better.

I think it should be reversed: Jack Daniels, drugs, then Hooker

Started with VD, then we got Crabs, and we may complete the circle with Hooker.
Bookie Odds for 49ers #2 Pick:
45% Trade Down
20% Trubisky
15% Garrett
10% Solomon Thomas
10% Field
[ Edited by Vito_Corleone on Apr 24, 2017 at 1:41 AM ]
Pat Mahomes, please!
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Damn this feels like a rough first draft for a Rookie GM. I think literally any position other than #2 would be easier. Gonna suck if it comes down to a minute or two left on the clock and nobody has offered a trade worth taking.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Ive been on the S.Thomas bandwagon all along, And I wouldnt be upset if we picked him

However,Looking at our DL, I think we have alot of good players, and we can add a Leo in the 2nd or 3rd
I like T.McKInley, UCLA in the 2nd, but guys like Bowser and Willis would be solid too

We dont have that center field safety yet, sure Ward can probably play it, but why move a starting CB if we dont need to.
Hooker is pretty special, he's now my pick at #2
  • thl408
Sorry if this has been discussed, but has positional value and what the #2 overall would be paid been considered? This was a point brought up in a NN podcast.

The #2 overall will be guaranteed somewhere around $30 million in salary. If the 49ers draft Hooker/Adams at #2, $30 guaranteed is in the area of top 3 safety money in the NFL. If Hooker/Adams performs up to his potential, there isn't much cap savings. There isn't a "bargain" to be had because he's paid like a top safety, and he performs like one. Same can be said of CB. $30 would pay the rookie like a top10 CB (something like that).

On the flip side, if an edge rusher is taken, $30 guaranteed is top 20 money for an edge rusher. If this edge player performs like a top5 edge rusher, there's a bargain because the team is paying top20 money for a top5 player at the position. If the rookie edge player flops, not as big a deal than if a defensive back flops.
Originally posted by 9moon:
IF we don't trade down. .. I'd take FOURNETTE!!!

Yep..

Hopefully we trade down and get Mike Williams, Derek Barnett, Corey Davis, or McCaffery.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'll be content with Mitch or Fournette.
trade back

Originally posted by thl408:
Sorry if this has been discussed, but has positional value and what the #2 overall would be paid been considered? This was a point brought up in a NN podcast.

The #2 overall will be guaranteed somewhere around $30 million in salary. If the 49ers draft Hooker/Adams at #2, $30 guaranteed is in the area of top 3 safety money in the NFL. If Hooker/Adams performs up to his potential, there isn't much cap savings. There isn't a "bargain" to be had because he's paid like a top safety, and he performs like one. Same can be said of CB. $30 would pay the rookie like a top10 CB (something like that).

On the flip side, if an edge rusher is taken, $30 guaranteed is top 20 money for an edge rusher. If this edge player performs like a top5 edge rusher, there's a bargain because the team is paying top20 money for a top5 player at the position. If the rookie edge player flops, not as big a deal than if a defensive back flops.

thl - I'm not a contract guy. Really excellent points. I see there are several ways to look at salaries - avg annual, guaranteed, cap hit.

But when viewed at from a "cap hit" perspective, doesn't it become more favorable? Honestly, I don't know what's the right thing to compare:

Our #2 pick's cap hit (I think):

Other Safeties' cap hits:

[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM ]
  • thl408
I'm not a cap guy either so I was just going off what that podcast said. I believe the podcast was comparing guaranteed money whereas the charts you listed is for cap hit (guaranteed + base)?
I'm not a cap guy either so I was just going off what that podcast said. I believe the podcast was comparing guaranteed money whereas the charts you listed is for cap hit (guaranteed + base)?

I honestly don't know what the difference between comparing cap hit vs. guaranteed vs. avg annual

Nonetheless, you brought up a really good point about what position we draft where, and that their salaries should be considered.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

I honestly don't know what the difference between comparing cap hit vs. guaranteed vs. avg annual

Nonetheless, you brought up a really good point about what position we draft where, and that their salaries should be considered.
Well the podcast brought it up so I can't take credit for that. But yeah I think it should be kind of considered. In the end, BPA + team need should be the primary factors, not cap sensibility. Just something I thought was interesting.

Guaranteed money is misleading because rookie contracts are fully guaranteed for the first 4 years. In terms of average salary, $7.5 million/year would place Hooker 10th in the league right now and that ranking could fall as the cap continues to rise. $7.5 million/year places Thomas 15th if you consider him a DT or T-18th if he's a DE. That's a wash for me because I think Hooker is better at his position than Thomas is. Single high safety is also arguably more important in our new defense than safeties are in other defenses so we should be willing to pay a little more if we value he position more.

Garrett is head and shoulders the most valuable player in the draft from a contract perspective because he has the potential to be the best edge rusher in the league in a couple years. You could argue that the 5th pick in the draft may be more valuable than the 2nd pick if you can still get a player like Adams/Hooker at 5 on a cheaper deal than you'd pay for one of them at 2. In that case, getting anything in return for trading back a few spots even if it's just a 3rd round pick would still be a win for us.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/safety/
Share 49ersWebzone