LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Jamal Adams S LSU

I think Tartt has a better chance to succeed at SS in our new scheme, so probably wouldn't wanna take a SS at 2
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
Pete Carrolls first draft pick when he took over in Seattle was Earl Thomas because the scheme requires an elite free safety. Not an elite strong safety.... meaning Malik Hooker will be the right way to go. Seattle without Earl Thomas just isn't the same defense.. on the other hand without Kam Chancellor they still function at a high level. . Jamal Adams is a great player and I do like him.. but for the 49ers Malik Hooked will be the difference maker.

Why do people keep saying this?

He drafted Thomas because like most positions FS is an important part of his teams and Thomas was BPA. Hell he wasn't even his first pick but don't let that get in the way of that false agenda.

If they felt FS was so important they would've drafted Thomas before a Russell Okung who they took at #6. Please stop this "he was Pete Carroll's first pick so it means FS is the only thing that matters"

Maybe if Hooker tackled as well as Thomas and was as fast as him we'd have a real comparison here. We do not.

The op misstated it, it's not a false agenda lol. The first pick Carroll used to install his defense was on FS.

For his defense, he never once used a first round pick on interior line. He did on pass rusher. He also never drafted a corner higher than 4, nor a box safety higher than 5.

So he built the legion of boom, the secondary for the scheme Shanny is in love with 5th rounders, udfas, and One First around talented single high FS with elite range.

Huh.

The obsession with Earl Thomas and the single high safety on these boards is ridiculous. I can't stand him, but Richard Sherman was the best CB in the league for a couple years. Saying CB isn't important in this defense because the Seahawks have had success with 5th round picks at CB is like saying QB isn't important in the Patriots offense because the Patriots have had success with a 6th round QB.

Drafting Malik Hooker doesn't turn Trumaine Brock into Richard Sherman or Eric Reid into Kam Chancellor. The Seahawks found great players to play alongside Thomas in the secondary - where they were drafted is irrelevant.

Would the Seahawks pay Sherman $14 million/year and Chancellor $7 million/year if they could get that kind of performance from anyone because they have this incredible single high safety?

Never said CB isn't important. I said that Carroll didn't think he needed 1st, 2nd, 3rd round talent at CB. Why is that?

Your opinion on who Hooker would make better and wouldn't is a nice read, but it's your opinion.

Where the Legion of Boom was drafted (or signed as an udfa Is relevant. It shows what talent level Carroll felt he build his defense from. Why did he think he could get away with 3/4 of his secondary being drafted in rounds 5 and lower?
Because they get away with holding all game
Never said CB isn't important. I said that Carroll didn't think he needed 1st, 2nd, 3rd round talent at CB. Why is that?

Your opinion on who Hooker would make better and wouldn't is a nice read, but it's your opinion.

Where the Legion of Boom was drafted (or signed as an udfa Is relevant. It shows what talent level Carroll felt he build his defense from. Why did he think he could get away with 3/4 of his secondary being drafted in rounds 5 and lower?

Carroll didn't need to draft other defensive backs in the first round, because he found 1st round talent in the 5th round. He has 1st round talent at CB right now in Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor. Acting like Sherman isn't one of the most talented CBs in the league right now because he was drafted in the 5th round is beyond absurd. Sherman was a promising starter in 2011 and a 1st team All-Pro in 2012. That has as much to do with the Seahawks not addressing CB in the first few rounds as anything. CB hasn't been a need for them.

At least you seem to realize that that whether the Seahawks consider Sherman one of the most talented CBs in the league is inarguable (or they wouldn't be paying him $14 million/year).

In no way, shape, or form did I say Hooker doesn't make other players better. There's a massive difference between saying Hooker doesn't make someone better and saying Hooker doesn't make someone Richard Sherman. You may figure that out once you learn to read.
Seeing him at 3 in some mocks...and going before Hooker.

Adams is a stud prospect. Very few question marks. Great safety in a lot of schemes.
Adams is a stud prospect. Very few question marks. Great safety in a lot of schemes.

As far as prospects go outside of Garrett imo Thomas and Adams offer the least question marks.

Hooker offers a ton of potential but boy we'd have to hope everything goes right for him.

Should be an interesting draft.
Jamal Adams just ran the 40 in 4.33 seconds at LSU pro day. Not official but still, wow.
Adams > Hooker

Originally posted by 9erguy:
Adams > Hooker

You will cease that communist propaganda!!
How does one go from a 4.56 at their combine to a 4.33 🤔

If I was a draft prospect, I would just run at my pro day lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:
How does one go from a 4.56 at their combine to a 4.33 🤔

If I was a draft prospect, I would just run at my pro day lol

hand-timed 40

but yeah, I tend to completely disregard pro-day 40 times. They're not really genuine.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 5, 2017 at 8:30 AM ]
Lol

Originally posted by Heroism:
Lol

Haha
Share 49ersWebzone