LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

Jamal Adams S LSU

Originally posted by illinois9er:
I'd much rather draft Hooker

Hooker is a bad boy....I can see him getting his INTS but also getting trucked 2-3 times a game, due to his tiny frame. He's a shoelace tackler
Originally posted by FrozeReactionZ:

Hooker is a bad boy....I can see him getting his INTS but also getting trucked 2-3 times a game, due to his tiny frame. He's a shoelace tackler

Love em both but prefer Adams
Originally posted by Niners418:

Agree, does anybody know if we interviewed Adams?

Yeah I'm with you guys! This guy loves to hit! Exactly what we need to get this defense on the right track again!
Originally posted by MTninerfan:

Yeah I'm with you guys! This guy loves to hit! Exactly what we need to get this defense on the right track again!

Well they are playing different positions in the pros. Hooker is a FS all the way and Adams is a SS.

I feel like Adams gets mostly over looked but he is a badass and all over the ball. My one of my favorite possibilities for this draft is trading down to 5-7 and grabbing this guy while picking up picks. I'd be happy with Adams at 2 even.
Adams and ward patrolling the field would be fun.

Just depends on how they feel about Reid really.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Hooker's recent surgeries and question marks over tackling worry the hell out of me. Adams is a better all-rounder and has something in spades we need more than anything else - character and leadership.
Pete Carrolls first draft pick when he took over in Seattle was Earl Thomas because the scheme requires an elite free safety. Not an elite strong safety.... meaning Malik Hooker will be the right way to go. Seattle without Earl Thomas just isn't the same defense.. on the other hand without Kam Chancellor they still function at a high level. . Jamal Adams is a great player and I do like him.. but for the 49ers Malik Hooked will be the difference maker.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
Pete Carrolls first draft pick when he took over in Seattle was Earl Thomas because the scheme requires an elite free safety. Not an elite strong safety.... meaning Malik Hooker will be the right way to go. Seattle without Earl Thomas just isn't the same defense.. on the other hand without Kam Chancellor they still function at a high level. . Jamal Adams is a great player and I do like him.. but for the 49ers Malik Hooked will be the difference maker.

Which is all well and good but if Hooker isn't the next Earl Thomas for one of many potential reasons, it doesn't matter if he's a better 'fit'.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

"You want violent people. You want to run and hit people and make that field smaller for everybody, especially for the receivers," Shanahan said. "That starts with the safeties and corners, being able to hit. It's not just about hitting. You want to be able to cover. You got to be smart. You're trying to get everything."
Originally posted by jcs:

"You want violent people. You want to run and hit people and make that field smaller for everybody, especially for the receivers," Shanahan said. "That starts with the safeties and corners, being able to hit. It's not just about hitting. You want to be able to cover. You got to be smart. You're trying to get everything."

I'd much rather draft Adams. IMO, he will be the better pro and have HoF career.

• KPaul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Originally posted by jcs:

I'd much rather draft Adams. IMO, he will be the better pro and have HoF career.

That's fire/passion on the field that we've been missing since Willis. This guys brings it back.. maybe even more of it too
I'm down. We need a bit of crazy and a thumper.

The thought of him unloading on Willow makes me happy.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 28, 2017 at 6:00 PM ]

Why do people keep saying this?

He drafted Thomas because like most positions FS is an important part of his teams and Thomas was BPA. Hell he wasn't even his first pick but don't let that get in the way of that false agenda.

If they felt FS was so important they would've drafted Thomas before a Russell Okung who they took at #6. Please stop this "he was Pete Carroll's first pick so it means FS is the only thing that matters"

Maybe if Hooker tackled as well as Thomas and was as fast as him we'd have a real comparison here. We do not.
Originally posted by genus49:

He drafted Thomas because like most positions FS is an important part of his teams and Thomas was BPA. Hell he wasn't even his first pick but don't let that get in the way of that false agenda.

If they felt FS was so important they would've drafted Thomas before a Russell Okung who they took at #6. Please stop this "he was Pete Carroll's first pick so it means FS is the only thing that matters"

Maybe if Hooker tackled as well as Thomas and was as fast as him we'd have a real comparison here. We do not.

The op misstated it, it's not a false agenda lol. The first pick Carroll used to install his defense was on FS.

For his defense, he never once used a first round pick on interior line. He did on pass rusher. He also never drafted a corner higher than 4, nor a box safety higher than 5.

So he built the legion of boom, the secondary for the scheme Shanny is in love with 5th rounders, udfas, and One First around talented single high FS with elite range.

Huh.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by genus49:

The op misstated it, it's not a false agenda lol. The first pick Carroll used to install his defense was on FS.

For his defense, he never once used a first round pick on interior line. He did on pass rusher. He also never drafted a corner higher than 4, nor a box safety higher than 5.

So he built the legion of boom, the secondary for the scheme Shanny is in love with 5th rounders, udfas, and One First around talented single high FS with elite range.

Huh.

The obsession with Earl Thomas and the single high safety on these boards is ridiculous. I can't stand him, but Richard Sherman was the best CB in the league for a couple years. Saying CB isn't important in this defense because the Seahawks have had success with 5th round picks at CB is like saying QB isn't important in the Patriots offense because the Patriots have had success with a 6th round QB.

Drafting Malik Hooker doesn't turn Trumaine Brock into Richard Sherman or Eric Reid into Kam Chancellor. The Seahawks found great players to play alongside Thomas in the secondary - where they were drafted is irrelevant.

Would the Seahawks pay Sherman $14 million/year and Chancellor $7 million/year if they could get that kind of performance from anyone because they have this incredible single high safety?
Share 49ersWebzone