LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 301 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas--Stanford

Originally posted by genus49:
Mike Williams has a hell of a lot more holes in his game than Thomas does. Drafting a WR with a top 2 pick is a huge gamble(look at how those guys have done in the NFL) but to use a #2 overall pick on a guy who isn't a straight up stud at WR when we have so many other issues on the team is asking for more frustration as a fan base.

Fine then. Draft Jamal Adams. Slot him in at SS and let him be out defensive captain and team leader for a decade.

The main problem with drafting another LDE is that we push other needs down. Instead of drafting 2 dlinemen this year we need 3 because we still need a NT and a LEO. When do we get a MLB? What about SS? RB? All those needs get pushed down because we draft a guy for a position where we already have a stud.

We need to be smart about how we allocate our draft picks.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah a big slow wr who can't run routes is perfect for Kyle's scheme...zay jones is 6-2 210 runs a 4.45 and runs some of the best routes in college football. Why can't we get the 2nd best prospect who CAN play all over the line (which you even said he could like a week ago), a true Leo or SAM at two then move backup for jones?? We have a s**t ton of picks.

And big slow receiver who dominated the best conference and best team in the nation. Next

LOL..you will slam anyone saying they are terrible to get your point across about how good Thomas is hey? Wow.

Sure take Thomas and Jones in round 1 and 2. What about LEO, SS, NT, OLB??

Instead of taking a LEO in round 2 and getting a stud we get an average one in round 3. Instead of getting a starting OLB in round 3 we get a special teamer in round 4....and so on. All for taking a guy who plays a position that is arguably the strongest and deepest position on our team.

Brilliant.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He went from a 264 pound 4-3 DE to a 280 pound UT in a 4-3 under. No reason why Thomas wouldn't eventually be able to play the 3 technique full time.

Never made a Pro Bowl either for Cincy. Had 44 sacks in 7 years never going over 10. Very solid but not the impact he had for us.

Justin smith in cinci...

"In his second season with the Bengals, he started every game at RDE and led team in sacks (6.5), led defensive line in tackles (59) and also led the team in sack yardage (56). He played 95.5 percent of the defensive snaps (934 of 978), second on team. He ended the season with 6.5 sacks, giving him a total of 15 for his first two seasons, most by a Cincinnati Bengal in his first two seasons since 1976-77.

In his third season with the Bengals, he recorded 60 tackles of which 41 were solo. He also added another 5.0 sacks. Where he also played as an outside linebacker.

His fourth season saw him lead the team in sacks (8.0) and sack yardage (70.5). He also led the defense in snaps played (94.4 percent), and he recorded 70 tackles.

In 2005, Smith led the team once again in sacks (6.0), making it his third time to lead the team in his five seasons. In his other two seasons, he finished one sack or less behind the team leader. By the end of his fifth year, he had moved into fifth place on Bengals all-time sacks list with a total of 34."

He came into the NFL at 264lbs and didn't hit full stride until he was 285 lbs and was a GA man. Solomon is already up to 276. Now your trying to down grade the cowboy as a overall player and the impact he had on a game
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Now if we draft him and move Deforest to 3 tech DT and start Soloman Thomas at strong side LDE then sure. Draft him. But he is not a LEO and he is not a UT.

LDE-Thomas
NT- Purcell / Dial / Rookie
DT- Buckner / Mitchell / AA / Blair
LEO- Harold / Rookie

That is a nice looking line.

This line makes me want to . If Thomas is the pick, and he's starting, then this is our line in base, or I will throw a really big internet hissy fit.

5T: Buckner/AA/Mitchell/Dial
NT: FA or Drafted FAT immovable 2gapper(hope for 2)
3T: Thomas/AA/Mitchell/Blair
Leo: Sigh...One of these goobers needs to step up: Lynch, Eli, Tank (or draft pick)
Just to get on the same page. I don't want Davis or Williams. Top 5 a receiver has to be 6'3 215 sub 4.4 forty and dominate. Williams and Davis are mid 1st prospects. Just I agree with Young that Shanny's o isn't going to be clicking into he gets a AJ or JJ. That's his history. Williams ain't that though.

Shoot so we're screwed if we can't land a Johnson or Julio I guess...might as well pack it in lol. I think ANY offense is gonna be good with a top 5 WR.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I remember this wr who Walsh drafted in the 1st you may of heard of him he was pretty good. Offensive coaches like to draft d, defensive coaches like to draft o and the reason for that is they tend to believe they can spot out talent and develop but at the end of the day trust me you're not developing a Julio Jones or Andre Johnson. The only time Shanny has ever had great o's is with those kind of receivers. Don't think he's going to pull it out of his @ss. I agree though that Mike Williams is not that guy just don't post a bunch of crap that Shanny's system is going to elevate nobodies.

As Phoenix said Bill Walsh won 2 SBs before drafting Rice. The fact that a 49ers fan can make a comparison like that blows my mind.

We won the SB going 15-1 in the regular season with #2 offense and a top 10 defense, #1 in points allowed before drafting Rice.

Just a tad different than using a #2 overall pick on a WR who's nowhere near the route runner that Rice was after a 2-14 season and no QB and the worst defense in the league.

Yeah...outside of that perfect analogy.
[ Edited by jcs on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:21 AM ]
Just to get on the same page. I don't want Davis or Williams. Top 5 a receiver has to be 6'3 215 sub 4.4 forty and dominate. Williams and Davis are mid 1st prospects. Just I agree with Young that Shanny's o isn't going to be clicking into he gets a AJ or JJ. That's his history. Williams ain't that though.

Ok...then we agree there.

So why are you arguing lol?
Read this. It sums up everything that I have been saying.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/22/espns-mel-kiper-taps-hot-name-to-49ers-in-mock-nfl-draft/

Jamal Adams will be the pick. He checks all the boxes and we won't have to fit a square peg in a round hole with him. Book it
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Read this. It sums up everything that I have been saying.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/22/espns-mel-kiper-taps-hot-name-to-49ers-in-mock-nfl-draft/

Jamal Adams will be the pick. He checks all the boxes and we won't have to fit a square peg in a round hole with him. Book it

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Now if we draft him and move Deforest to 3 tech DT and start Soloman Thomas at strong side LDE then sure. Draft him. But he is not a LEO and he is not a UT.

LDE-Thomas
NT- Purcell / Dial / Rookie
DT- Buckner / Mitchell / AA / Blair
LEO- Harold / Rookie

That is a nice looking line.

This line makes me want to . If Thomas is the pick, and he's starting, then this is our line in base, or I will throw a really big internet hissy fit.

5T: Buckner/AA/Mitchell/Dial
NT: FA or Drafted FAT immovable 2gapper(hope for 2)
3T: Thomas/AA/Mitchell/Blair
Leo: Sigh...One of these goobers needs to step up: Lynch, Eli, Tank (or draft pick)
You guys need to realize that we will be rotating our DLine all game long in order to get the right matchups so start to move away from labeling a player as a Leo or NT and sticking him to that one Role.

This said a guy like Thomas can start at RE and shore up the run game issues we had last year, Passing downs you move him around in order to take advantage of matchups that's the beauty of his game he has that versatility to play all 3 downs and the ability to move all over the Line based on matchup.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Justin smith in cinci...

"In his second season with the Bengals, he started every game at RDE and led team in sacks (6.5), led defensive line in tackles (59) and also led the team in sack yardage (56). He played 95.5 percent of the defensive snaps (934 of 978), second on team. He ended the season with 6.5 sacks, giving him a total of 15 for his first two seasons, most by a Cincinnati Bengal in his first two seasons since 1976-77.

In his third season with the Bengals, he recorded 60 tackles of which 41 were solo. He also added another 5.0 sacks. Where he also played as an outside linebacker.

His fourth season saw him lead the team in sacks (8.0) and sack yardage (70.5). He also led the defense in snaps played (94.4 percent), and he recorded 70 tackles.

In 2005, Smith led the team once again in sacks (6.0), making it his third time to lead the team in his five seasons. In his other two seasons, he finished one sack or less behind the team leader. By the end of his fifth year, he had moved into fifth place on Bengals all-time sacks list with a total of 34."

He came into the NFL at 264lbs and didn't hit full stride until he was 285 lbs and was a GA man. Solomon is already up to 276. Now your trying to down grade the cowboy as a overall player and the impact he had on a game

He never made the Pro Bowl, never was All pro there it's not me who downgraded him. They were terrible though.
Originally posted by jcs:
You guys need to realize that we will be rotating our DLine all game long in order to get the right matchups so start to move away from labeling a player as a Leo or NT and sticking him to that one Role.

This said a guy like Thomas can start at RE and shore up the run game issues we had last year, Passing downs you move him around in order to take advantage of matchups that's the beauty of his game he has that versatility to play all 3 downs and the ability to move all over the Line based on matchup.

Well I don't think he does so that's where we differ.

We won't rotate if we don't have to. Buckner played 90% of the snaps last year. The only rotating in this scheme is the NT comes out on passing downs and the LDE (Buckner) slides inside and another edge rusher comes in to play the strong side.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM ]
Fine then. Draft Jamal Adams. Slot him in at SS and let him be out defensive captain and team leader for a decade.

The main problem with drafting another LDE is that we push other needs down. Instead of drafting 2 dlinemen this year we need 3 because we still need a NT and a LEO. When do we get a MLB? What about SS? RB? All those needs get pushed down because we draft a guy for a position where we already have a stud.

We need to be smart about how we allocate our draft picks.

I agree we need to be smart but when you try to put need above BPA it bites you in the ass more times than not.

Would you take an impact safety or impact DLman all else being equal?

Now add the fact that our defense was dead last last year and we couldn't stop the run or rush the passer, all while our secondary was actually decent despite that terrible pass rush.

Who makes a bigger impact on this team long term? Do you add what many consider a sure thing to the stronger part of our defense or the weakest?

Thomas stands out in pretty much every phase of the game on and off the field. What Adams can do in the secondary Thomas can do on the DLine. This kid is a teddy bear off the field and a grizzly bear on it. That's infectious.

Yes it may push other needs down but this isn't a short term fix. But if you draft BPA and hit on those picks eventually your roster is going to be stacked. You can find ways to fill in the gaps and you can't address all your needs in one offseason.
Ok...then we agree there.

So why are you arguing lol?

Because your original point was something along the lines of Shanny's system will elevate and there I have to say no.
And big slow receiver who dominated the best conference and best team in the nation. Next

LOL..you will slam anyone saying they are terrible to get your point across about how good Thomas is hey? Wow.

Sure take Thomas and Jones in round 1 and 2. What about LEO, SS, NT, OLB??

Instead of taking a LEO in round 2 and getting a stud we get an average one in round 3. Instead of getting a starting OLB in round 3 we get a special teamer in round 4....and so on. All for taking a guy who plays a position that is arguably the strongest and deepest position on our team.

Brilliant.

No your the one who keeps flip flopping back and forth...a week ago Solomon was the man and could play all over the line, then it's mike Williams who can't be stop, now it's Adams I don't think Williams, hooker, LF, Adams etc are terrible where did I say they suck?? Don't put words in my mouth...we're talking about the #2 overall pick not the 7th or 15th.

The scenario I'm talking about it is who we pick if we don't move down...imo a safety or WR ( unless they're on the same level as Julio) aren't more important than a DE who can stop the run and rush the passer. We have ONE good DL everyone else is either a backup or dog s**t...if I'm wrong please show me the film.

You say he's a LDE everyone else says he's a 3-tech and some people think he has the ability to play the LEO...mike mayock has him as the 2nd overall edge rusher...all I see is a f**king good football player that can play multiple positions and provide help at two things that we sucked at last yr, run stuffing and pass rush. That makes our secondary better, that makes life easier for whomever is our LEO, that makes us produce three and outs and make our offense not one dimensional.
Share 49ersWebzone