LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas--Stanford

Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Get out of my head! I just said the same thing (of course far less eloquently).

LMAO! It took me a while to put that together for all. But, um, naturally, I agree.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
After going back and watching game film, I am even more against drafting Thomas, he's a very good 3tech, but when he was put on the outside, he wasn't nearly as good. Barnett is a much better choice as a Leo, which is what we need, not another guy on the inside. If we needed another 3tech, I'd be all for grabbing him, but we don't, so I'm not.

Agreed and people are overcomplicating the AA doesn't fit the new system. 60% of the game is played out of nickel now. Draft a prototypical 3 tech in the 3rd or 4th and rotate him with Armstead. We need edge rushers though and while Seattle had Avril/ Irvin we got Lynch and Brooks.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

1. FS - Hooker over Jamal Adams
2. LEO- Charles Harris
3. SAM- Ryan Anderson
4. NT- Dalvin Tomlinson

SAM: Ahmad Brooks / Ryan Anderson
LDE/5T: DeForest Bucker
NT/1T: Dalvin Tomlinson / Quinton Dial
RDT/3T: Earl Mitchell / Arik Armstead
RDE/LEO: Eli Harold / Charles Harris

WILL: Malcolm Smith/Ray-Ray Armstrong
MIKE: Navarro Bowman

SS- Tartt / Reid
FS- Hooker / Ward

My D is 10x better than your D

FTFY
If Solomon Thomas can only see the field by benching Arik Armstead, then we don't need him.

This team doesn't have the luxury to draft a DE for the 3rd year in a row.

No thanks, not happening
Originally posted by tankle104:
How can anyone knock Justin smith?? lol absurd! the guy played the game the right way and was a force to be reckoned with!

One of the most dominate Niners in history, at leas the last 30 years.

I would love to have another player just like him! People get too caught up in "stats", even J. Smith said stats are for losers. His position wasn't one that garnered much flashiness, but made a big difference in the game.

btw we didn't give him a massive contract in free agency cause he was some scrub. That was one of the largest contracts we had given out, and ended up being one of the best FA we have signed.

Not bashing his work here he was a 5x Pro Bowler, but I don't have to c*** suck what he did in Cincy. I was never a Bengal fan.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
We took a long look at how Thomas would fit with San Francisco earlier this week. He's a difficult player to project.

That's because he worked almost exclusively as an interior lineman in Stanford's 3-4 defensive front at the three and five technique, like Armstead and Buckner did when they played at Oregon. The difference, however, is Thomas weighed 273 pounds at the combine, some 20 pounds lighter than both Armstead and Buckner before their respective drafts.

And that raises the question of whether Thomas is big enough to rotate along the interior of San Francisco's new 4-3 scheme, because he doesn't appear quick or long enough to consistently set the edge at the next level. Some projected Thomas as an edge rusher in the pros, but I simply don't see after watching his games at Stanford

Thomas was rarely used along the edges. When he was, he didn't show the explosion or flexibility of someone like Tennessee's Derek Barnett, who would be a considerably better fit as a pass-rushing, edge-setting end in San Francisco's scheme..... http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/22/espns-mel-kiper-taps-hot-name-to-49ers-in-mock-nfl-draft/
[ Edited by JDog on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by genus49:

And once again, DL >>>>>> WR in terms of impact on the game. So many want to bring up the Lions situation in this case but it doesnt apply at all. Especially when you consider the fact that their best pick was after they were laughed at for going WR 3 years in a row.

Uh, no, not at all actually. Not in a WCO. With Solomon at 3T and Williams/Davis at ZWR, one could easily make the argument the Z is far more important to making the entire OFFENSE go vs. a 3T where heavy rotation is standard in this defense.

We, literally, have a vacant spot at the Z and that player would be on the field the full 1,100+ snaps a year.

Garçon is the Z this year and he'll probably play it well.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pierre-garcon-and-desean-jackson-switch-wide-receiver-spots-060415
Originally posted by NCommand:
Uh, no, not at all actually. Not in a WCO. With Solomon at 3T and Williams/Davis at ZWR, one could easily make the argument the Z is far more important to making the entire OFFENSE go vs. a 3T where heavy rotation is standard in this defense.

We, literally, have a vacant spot at the Z and that player would be on the field the full 1,100+ snaps a year.

Who said Solomon is playing strictly 3T? This is absurd.

How can you also honestly argue a WR is just as if not more important than a defensive lineman? Let's say a WR get's 20 targets a game which is pretty damn high. What's he doing the other times? Taking coverage with him? Blocking in the running game? Most of the time the impact of a WR when the ball isn't coming to him is minimal.

A defensive lineman makes an impact on every defensive snap while he's on the field. Get Thomas and he'll make plays for us wherever we play him. Several WRs in this class can help us.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
If Solomon Thomas can only see the field by benching Arik Armstead, then we don't need him.

This team doesn't have the luxury to draft a DE for the 3rd year in a row.

No thanks, not happening

It's not a luxury it's a necessity. Worst front 7 in football last year.

How can you also honestly argue a WR is just as if not more important than a defensive lineman? Let's say a WR get's 20 targets a game which is pretty damn high. What's he doing the other times? Taking coverage with him? Blocking in the running game? Most of the time the impact of a WR when the ball isn't coming to him is minimal.

A defensive lineman makes an impact on every defensive snap while he's on the field. Get Thomas and he'll make plays for us wherever we play him. Several WRs in this class can help us.

Because he can't play 3 tech at 270. He'll have to gain 20 pounds.

Originally posted by tjd808185:

Said who? It's not about weight, it's about strength and ability. Someone brought up Marcus Martin earlier. He's over 300 lbs, he's a big dude but soft as hell and couldn't block for chit.

If a guy can bench 500 lbs and he's 5'8 and 200 lbs and another guy is 6'5 and 300 lbs and only benches 400...who's stronger?
Chancellor is awesome but if you want to use a #2 overall pick on an in the box safety then I don't know what else I can say here.

Read up son.

-Natural-born leader of men

-Intelligent field general. Gets secondary aligned properly

-"The people who have been at that program the longest think he might be the best leader LSU has had in years. He's a no-doubt first-rounder. He can play all over the field and he could have an immediate impact on defense just like Landon Collins did coming out. I love him. I think he's a winner." - AFC area scout

-Interchangeable safety with a sheriff's mentality. Adams is a physical tone-setter who should thrive near the line of scrimmage or in a robber role. Should be a commanding presence in the locker room early on and his do-as-I-do play demeanor could be the catalyst for turning a struggling defense around quickly.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jamal-adams%3Fid%3D2557979&ved=0ahUKEwjk1tPQ2erSAhVBwYMKHS1FD6gQFgimATAg&usg=AFQjCNG_J9HC-cmMlZrVjs1aiBZZ9EH8vw

This is who we need. Not another player to rotate on the strongest part of our team.
Originally posted by jcs:
Garçon is the Z this year and he'll probably play it well.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pierre-garcon-and-desean-jackson-switch-wide-receiver-spots-060415

Garcon will play the Z b/c we don't have anyone else there. Literally. Unless you're hoping the two ACL's come through. Goodwin and Robinson are nice chess pieces but nothing more than that in Kyle's offense. They'll play a role. But this WR group is not complete yet.

Go back and read what I posted:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/187561-solomon/page85/#Post1263/

Cliff notes: Thomas is not a LEO...this defense rotates a lot...a LEO is a different kind of player...they won't change the entire defense around for a rookie.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 22, 2017 at 11:10 AM ]

Demanding double teams.

Taking that 8th man out of the box opening up our run game

Comeon man. Use your head.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Of course he can. Bennett 274 is rotated/arbitrarily placed there often. You can give over or under looks and move guys around between 5T and 3T based on situation, alignment, matchups, and when the offense motions the TE across the formation, this is often arbitrarily done for you.

Thomas would be a really good 3T or 5T. In the scheme we're going to, there literally is a spot for all different kinds of talent in the front seven. Name a front seven guy, he's got a spot in this D.

But we still need FAT NTs!!!
Share 49ersWebzone