There are 240 users in the forums

Connor Williams (TEX)

Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Have any legitimate analysts provided a breakdown of his ability to play guard?

Not that I know, but FWIW, his biggest knock seems to be lack of functional core strength.

That doesnt sound good for a guard lol.
I'm pretty much going to guarantee this not happening, his technique has been highlighted to be sloppy, can you see Kyle putting up with that? In the 1st round no less, no thanks
👀

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Wasn't UT's QB running for his life all season? If that guy didn't run half the time against SC, that score wouldn't have been so close.

The guy seems more impressive on paper than on the field.
I know this kid may have struggled with an MCL injury this year, but he looked really good last year. Id prefer him over Nelson becuase he looks much more athletic in the run game and may be able to kick out to IT and replace Staley in a few years.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/07/01/texas-ot-connor-williams-draws-comparison-to-49ers-joe-staley/
Originally posted by Prometheus2001:
I know this kid may have struggled with an MCL injury this year, but he looked really good last year. Id prefer him over Nelson becuase he looks much more athletic in the run game and may be able to kick out to IT and replace Staley in a few years.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/07/01/texas-ot-connor-williams-draws-comparison-to-49ers-joe-staley/

You want a kid who struggled over a kid who flat dominated?
Originally posted by post_primitive:
Originally posted by Prometheus2001:

You want a kid who struggled over a kid who flat dominated?

I think Williams is a better scheme fit than Nelson and could play tackle down the road. Nelson is a blue-chip OG no doubt about it, Williams kinda of checks off two boxes (starting OG and replacement for Staley).

Would be happy with either.
Brown is our LTotF.
Originally posted by post_primitive:
Brown is our LTotF.

This. I'm not even sure Williams will be a LT in the NFL (rumored to have short arms). If Nelson and Williams are both on the board, you take Nelson and don't think twice. He's a better player in any system.
I saw a mock on CBS sports today that had Connor Williams going high as #2 to the Giants.

Originally posted by Fincham11:
I saw a mock on CBS sports today that had Connor Williams going high as #2 to the Giants.

Those CBS drafts are the worst.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think Williams is a better scheme fit than Nelson and could play tackle down the road. Nelson is a blue-chip OG no doubt about it, Williams kinda of checks off two boxes (starting OG and replacement for Staley).

Would be happy with either.

I'm in this camp as well. While Nelson did in fact dominate, I just feel like he was manhandling lesser competition which won't be the case in the NFL. Don't see the same athleticism / springiness from him that I'd like to from a zone guard.

When you look at our team needs, these are premium positions where you usually need a 1st rounder to fill. I would personally prefer to go with Landry in the 1st, but if we go O-line, I like the idea of a guy who can fill a need in year 1 (starting OG), and also address a long-term need at Tackle. Brown is an excellent pass protector, however I'm not as bullish as some on his long term prospects with the 9ers. Just feel like he's not quite in the mold that Shanny is looking for.

Premium Needs:
  • #1 WR
  • CB
  • Edge Rusher
  • OT of the future

Non-premium needs:
  • OG
  • C
  • LB

I feel like we'll prioritize the C and CB positions in FA, which will put us in position to take our pick from Landry, Ridley, C Williams, Nelson, and R Smith with our 1st pick. As stated above, I'd personally prefer to draft someone at a premium position which means Williams over Nelson. Scouts Inc. seems to agree: http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft/rankings?year=2018
[ Edited by Bimbo_Coles on Jan 12, 2018 at 4:02 PM ]
this guy might be a case of overdrafted cause of need. Not too impressed when i see texas games but he looks the part. Maybe its the coaching and he plays lights out in the pros. but im glad OT is not an immediate need this year.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
This. I'm not even sure Williams will be a LT in the NFL (rumored to have short arms). If Nelson and Williams are both on the board, you take Nelson and don't think twice. He's a better player in any system.

This. I think a lot of people are hoping that he can be the player he was hyped up to be but its like anything else, hype eventually runs into reality, much like how everyone was clamoring over this current QB class a year ago and now you hear people talking about "well, in retrospect, last year's class might have been better at the top."

When I look at Williams I see a guy with pretty sloppy technique and not great length, I think he'll need quite a bit of work just to step in as a starting guard, let alone ever being a left tackle.

If you look at the vast majority of OL busts in the 1st round, they were all largely guys with impressive athleticism and sloppy technique and fundamentals, that is why I get worried when a guy is hyped more for how athletic or quick they are and not so much about their overall skillset.
Warming to this guy as the pick. Can start off inside at G, then kick out to OT once Staley retires.
Share 49ersWebzone