LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Connor Williams (TEX)

A lot of reaching going on here out of need.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

How so? He's considered a top talent who had some struggles due to injury this year.
We need draft OT than CB in the 1st round. It is very important for Offensive Lines for protect the quartback and make rb successful. It is all fact.
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
We need draft OT than CB in the 1st round. It is very important for Offensive Lines for protect the quartback and make rb successful. It is all fact.

The biggest fact is that you need to get the best players, there's is no way in the world this kid will be the best player available, he can't even get into a pass set from a 2 point stance
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
The biggest fact is that you need to get the best players, there's is no way in the world this kid will be the best player available, he can't even get into a pass set from a 2 point stance

I mean couldn't that be said for a lot of college OT now?

He could be someone that we have inside for the first yr or so then push out to tackle after joe moves on. Wouldn't be against it if the team feels he's a top end tackle talent that needs a little coaching
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He could be someone that we have inside for the first yr or so then push out to tackle after joe moves on. Wouldn't be against it if the team feels he's a top end tackle talent that needs a little coaching

A big part of why so many of them bust IMO. Lots of guys coming out with little clue on how to function in a pro offense which is I think largely why tackle has gone from one of the safest positions to one of the most bust ridden in the past 10 years.

It'll be interesting to see how Williams measures in at the Combine because there are a lot of concerns about his length and whether guard might not ultimately be what he is best suited for.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

A big part of why so many of them bust IMO. Lots of guys coming out with little clue on how to function in a pro offense which is I think largely why tackle has gone from one of the safest positions to one of the most bust ridden in the past 10 years.

It'll be interesting to see how Williams measures in at the Combine because there are a lot of concerns about his length and whether guard might not ultimately be what he is best suited for.

Yeah it's just as much about how coachable you are now at OT because of the lack of knowledge in a pro offense. Matt Miller is a UT homer and has been following Williams since he was starting as a freshmen. He doesn't have any issues with the dudes arm length. We will see
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

How so? He's considered a top talent who had some struggles due to injury this year.

There's also far superior talent available and while no one is truly a finished product, outside of the QBs, Williams is a lot further away than the other guys (Batkley, Nelson, Ridley, Smith, Jackson, Chubb). At least one of those guys will be available at 9 or 10.
I'm starting to get the feeling this might be the pick.
Originally posted by NCommand:

In the 2nd round or with a trade back? I can't see him going anywhere near top 10.

Why?

same. But hopefully in a trade down. He will be an underwhelming pick for sure though. But he was globs of potential and could play guard until staley retires. So for him it would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Why?

Originally posted by gold49digger:

same. But hopefully in a trade down. He will be an underwhelming pick for sure though. But he was globs of potential and could play guard until staley retires. So for him it would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

I let him smoke my Crabtrees and he tripped out. Move it along gentlemen.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

In the 2nd round or with a trade back? I can't see him going anywhere near top 10.

Trade back around 15. Just a hunch.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Yeah, I actually see him at RG for now and eventually, sliding out to RT with Brown moving over to LT when Staley hangs it up.
Share 49ersWebzone