Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 639 users in the forums

Derek Barnett DE/OLB

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I can picture this being like a scenario from a couple years ago with Clowney and Mack, Clowney got all the hype while Mack has become great, not saying Clowney wont be but as of now Mack is better..Garrett going number 1 then Barnett going around 7..only thing is Garrett doesn't come with all the question marks Clowney did..

Except Mack was also a freak athlete with pretty good length. Barnett is not and is nowhere near the prospect Mack, Clowney, or Garrett were/are. Barnett won't be a top 15 pick in my opinion.

I think hes going top 10..hes the 2nd best pass rusher and teams go crazy for them..

I don't agree that he's the 2nd best pass rusher. I'd take Tim Williams over him and I think you could make an argument for McKinley over Barnett as an OLB in a 4-3 or Taco Charlton/Soloman Thomas over him if you're looking for a 4-3 DE.

There are too many pass rushers available in the first 3-4 rounds for teams to reach for a guy like Barnett. Garrett's draft stock is safe because he's by far the best pass rusher in the draft and the best pass rusher since Clowney.

Tim Williams is a liability in the run hes only a pass rush specialist therefore I see no way he goes in front of Barnett
I don't think Barnett is the athletic freak but he's gonna be a monster in the NFL. Whoever gets him could easily get the best pass rusher in this draft. Dude has non stop motor and always plays hard. He's a top 10 pick to me.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,726
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't think Barnett is the athletic freak but he's gonna be a monster in the NFL. Whoever gets him could easily get the best pass rusher in this draft. Dude has non stop motor and always plays hard. He's a top 10 pick to me.

He's a beast. We'd be lucky to have him on a trade back.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,532
If we have to pick someone at number 2 I'd take Barnett. He's going to be a stud whereever he goes.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,726
Originally posted by shmuck:
If we have to pick someone at number 2 I'd take Barnett. He's going to be a stud whereever he goes.

If we have to trade away a 2nd round pick for Garoppolo, and Garrett taken, I'd love to trade back within the top 10 on draft day. Recoup that 2nd round pick plus much more -- and draft Derek Barnett. What an offseason that would be. Could use that new 2nd round pick to trade back up into the late 1st to get the best WR on the board.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by shmuck:
If we have to pick someone at number 2 I'd take Barnett. He's going to be a stud whereever he goes.

If we have to trade away a 2nd round pick for Garoppolo, and Garrett taken, I'd love to trade back within the top 10 on draft day. Recoup that 2nd round pick plus much more -- and draft Derek Barnett. What an offseason that would be. Could use that new 2nd round pick to trade back up into the late 1st to get the best WR on the board.

Who would you compare him to in the NFL??
I like Barnett if we miss out on Garrett.

Maybe we can curbside Baalke since OLBs is his specialty
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
I like Barnett if we miss out on Garrett.

Maybe we can curbside Baalke since OLBs is his specialty

I read that as "curbstomp" the first time, and I thought, "man, wasn't firing him enough?"
Barnett > Garrett

Am I the only one that's not impressed by Garrett's play? Too slow off the line and struggles to disengaged from OLs. Most of his highlight plays is when he's unblocked, while Barnett gets double teamed or gets chipped by a TE/RB and still makes plays. Teams usually calls screen plays where the pressure is coming from and that's why it's always on his side of the field. He just needs to work on reading those and NFL coaches can coach that. I would say it's all hype with Garrett. Barnett has a more consistent college career unlike one year wonders in Garrett and Clowney. Just my opinion and observation.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Barnett > Garrett

Am I the only one that's not impressed by Garrett's play? Too slow off the line and struggles to disengaged from OLs. Most of his highlight plays is when he's unblocked, while Barnett gets double teamed or gets chipped by a TE/RB and still makes plays. Teams usually calls screen plays where the pressure is coming from and that's why it's always on his side of the field. He just needs to work on reading those and NFL coaches can coach that. I would say it's all hype with Garrett. Barnett has a more consistent college career unlike one year wonders in Garrett and Clowney. Just my opinion and observation.

Dude was injured all yr lol
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Barnett > Garrett

Am I the only one that's not impressed by Garrett's play? Too slow off the line and struggles to disengaged from OLs. Most of his highlight plays is when he's unblocked, while Barnett gets double teamed or gets chipped by a TE/RB and still makes plays. Teams usually calls screen plays where the pressure is coming from and that's why it's always on his side of the field. He just needs to work on reading those and NFL coaches can coach that. I would say it's all hype with Garrett. Barnett has a more consistent college career unlike one year wonders in Garrett and Clowney. Just my opinion and observation.

You are the only one. . . IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. hes deadly fast offv the line they try double teaming him too but he gets off the line so fast that the double team doesn't have a chance to put hands on him. Seriously he is a beast! What are you watching?
one year wonder? You must be looking at the wrong player lol. hes done it since his freshmen yr
[ Edited by Zachary13White on Jan 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM ]
Barnett kind of reminds me of "extra motivated Ahmad Brooks."
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
You are the only one. . . IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. hes deadly fast offv the line they try double teaming him too but he gets off the line so fast that the double team doesn't have a chance to put hands on him. Seriously he is a beast! What are you watching?
one year wonder? You must be looking at the wrong player lol. hes done it since his freshmen yr

I watched full games and overall performances not just highlights. He's overrated IMO.
So did i. Only time he didn't look like the best player on the field was when was playing on a high ankle sprain.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone