LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Chris Borland?

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We have players who can play Center yet we drafted Marcus Martin. We have players who can play Guard but are they as good as Jackson? ( not counting Iupati)

I doubt Borland will be a bust but both Willis and Bowman are great in coverage and have sideline to sideline speed. Borland is listed as being short and slow and not good in coverage. Anything is possible but I am not sold on him being the heir apparent to Willis down the road. There were CB's and WR's that could not only add depth but could become starters still on the board and a player like Jackson who could replace Iupati if we can't resign him or possibly start opposite him if we do.

He's not a terrible player. Just thought there were better options on the board. Moncreif, Gaines, Jackson ect.

I must have read 50 mock drafts on this site this year. I think you even had one. I don't recall seeing a single mock that didn't have us drafting a receiver through the 1st 3 rounds do you?

To be fair, Borland wasn't drafted to be the heir apparent to Willis, he was drafted mostly for depth, since we're going to be without Bowman for most of the season.

Also, no mock had us trading a pick next year for Stevie Johnson. People who want a WR need to ask themselves where we're going to put said WR
Do you guys think the Borland pick was mostly for STs???

I've watch some film on him and I applaud his tenacity and knack for finding the ball, but I can't see him making a impact with the guys we already have in place.

Obviously he could see time at situational times during games, but his size and limited range isn't going to do a lot majority of the time.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We have players who can play Center yet we drafted Marcus Martin. We have players who can play Guard but are they as good as Jackson? ( not counting Iupati)

I doubt Borland will be a bust but both Willis and Bowman are great in coverage and have sideline to sideline speed. Borland is listed as being short and slow and not good in coverage. Anything is possible but I am not sold on him being the heir apparent to Willis down the road. There were CB's and WR's that could not only add depth but could become starters still on the board and a player like Jackson who could replace Iupati if we can't resign him or possibly start opposite him if we do.

He's not a terrible player. Just thought there were better options on the board. Moncreif, Gaines, Jackson ect.

I must have read 50 mock drafts on this site this year. I think you even had one. I don't recall seeing a single mock that didn't have us drafting a receiver through the 1st 3 rounds do you?

To be fair, Borland wasn't drafted to be the heir apparent to Willis, he was drafted mostly for depth, since we're going to be without Bowman for most of the season.

Also, no mock had us trading a pick next year for Stevie Johnson. People who want a WR need to ask themselves where we're going to put said WR

He aint going on practice squad! Lol this man gonna be on field thanksgiving thursday helping us spank our rival!!!! Least this im sure is the plan
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I love this pick. Chris Borland is the white London Fletcher.
I like the pick, and I like this guy. But not in round 3. This is a reach. He's a fourth at best. To me when you pick guys in the 3rd, there should be hope/evidence that they could start one day.
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on May 10, 2014 at 7:24 AM ]
Borland was almost a consensus round 3 to 4 player. He may have been the 2nd highest ILB on some boards, but that doesn't make him an automatic 2nd round talent - there was just a huge gap between Mosley and the next ILB. His instincts help him play faster than his timed speed, but I am still concerned that his arm length will hurt him a lot in the one area he is good at which is playing the run. If NFL linemen get their hands on him, there is not much Borland can do. I also don't think Borland will be the special teams monster some are making him out to be - his biggest strength as a linebacker is his instincts which doesn't translate perfectly to special teams. He has to reach the returner to tackle them and his speed and length are limitations there.

I wanted Barrow in round 4 instead but the front office may have decided Borland would help us more this season because he can step in right away for Bowman. I would have been much happier with Gaines at 77 which is a better value and I thought we reached for need a little bit with this pick.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
I like the pick, and I like this guy. But not in round 3. This is a reach. He's a fourth at best. To me when you pick guys in the 3rd, there should be hope/evidence that they could start one day.

Why?
Originally posted by CWin4949:

I've watch some film on him and I applaud his tenacity and knack for finding the ball, but I can't see him making a impact with the guys we already have in place.

Obviously he could see time at situational times during games, but his size and limited range isn't going to do a lot majority of the time.

I think so. This pick is the one that makes me scratch my head. Good player don't get me wrong, he just doesn't really fit our defense and a bit high for a ST ace.
For the record, his name is Al. Al Borland.

He probably will start. Bowman is injured.

Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by CWin4949:

I think so. This pick is the one that makes me scratch my head. Good player don't get me wrong, he just doesn't really fit our defense and a bit high for a ST ace.

I personally never liked comparisons too much! Almost never turn out. But borland did do a lot of passrush in badgers defense, which the crafted their 3-4 pressure off some of, fangios very own defensive schemes!!! Comparison on borland is of zach thomas yes a beast! Being q badger fan i like the pick! He was a baller for us. Hopefully he can translate to the pros!!! Unseat willis n bowman tho, that is no easy feat....lol there aint another in nfl i believe could do this, personally
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He probably will start. Bowman is injured.

This or splitting time with m whiliot?? Tho undersized a bit, borland would pressure in badgers 3-4, from ilb position!!
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
This guy is Zach Thomas 2.0.

Riki Ellison

Hacksaw

We will never know.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He will fill the spot while Bowman is recovering. He's super instinctive. A bowling ball. A tackling machine. Very underestimated. A great pick IMO.

What he said.
Borland is NOT a reach in the 3rd rd...he's the 2nd rated ILB on Walter Football's draft prospect list. He's listed as a 3rd rd pick by a lot of football analysts. But really, who cares? Fangio now has some real depth behind Wilhoite...and at the end of the day, that's what matters. Borland's a baller, a characteristic of every player Baalke's drafted. I love the pick!
Share 49ersWebzone