LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Chris Borland?

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Borland was almost a consensus round 3 to 4 player. He may have been the 2nd highest ILB on some boards, but that doesn't make him an automatic 2nd round talent - there was just a huge gap between Mosley and the next ILB. His instincts help him play faster than his timed speed, but I am still concerned that his arm length will hurt him a lot in the one area he is good at which is playing the run. If NFL linemen get their hands on him, there is not much Borland can do. I also don't think Borland will be the special teams monster some are making him out to be - his biggest strength as a linebacker is his instincts which doesn't translate perfectly to special teams. He has to reach the returner to tackle them and his speed and length are limitations there.

I wanted Barrow in round 4 instead but the front office may have decided Borland would help us more this season because he can step in right away for Bowman. I would have been much happier with Gaines at 77 which is a better value and I thought we reached for need a little bit with this pick.
I would have preferred Phillip Gaines at CB myself.
Hey fellas,

I'll confess I'm not a 49ner fan and I'm only here because I am a Wisconsin/Chris Borland fan. With Borland you have to take the traditional analysis with a grain of salt. He has short arms and lacks ideal height but he also has a certain unique skill set, he plays extremely low to the ground and with exceptional leverage. If you look at him, he's short but he's very very stout and compactly built with a very low center of gravity for his body type. Think of how Wes Welker gets open with his short awkward stride which is well known to confuse DBs. Or how Elvis Dummervil manages overwhelm OTs with his low to the ground style of play. Borland gets so low that he's able to constantly get under the pads of ball carriers and blockers, he's notoriously difficult even for guards and centers to picks up.This inevitably forces opposing players to attempt to either get to his level, with a lack of body control or attempt to cut block him. If you watch the game tape or highlights you'll see a number of plays where Borland simply pops over the top of would be blockers and manages to make a play on the ball carrier.
http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/2/17/5418546/carlos-hyde-vs-chris-borland-the-best-title-fight-that-nobody-talked
Originally posted by BuckyLaw14:
Hey fellas,

I'll confess I'm not a 49ner fan and I'm only here because I am a Wisconsin/Chris Borland fan. With Borland you have to take the traditional analysis with a grain of salt. He has short arms and lacks ideal height but he also has a certain unique skill set, he plays extremely low to the ground and with exceptional leverage. If you look at him, he's short but he's very very stout and compactly built with a very low center of gravity for his body type. Think of how Wes Welker gets open with his short awkward stride which is well known to confuse DBs. Or how Elvis Dummervil manages overwhelm OTs with his low to the ground style of play. Borland gets so low that he's able to constantly get under the pads of ball carriers and blockers, he's notoriously difficult even for guards and centers to picks up.This inevitably forces opposing players to attempt to either get to his level, with a lack of body control or attempt to cut block him. If you watch the game tape or highlights you'll see a number of plays where Borland simply pops over the top of would be blockers and manages to make a play on the ball carrier.
Thanks for the insight
Dude can play, just hard to see him finding playing time when we had more pressing needs imo
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Dude can play, just hard to see him finding playing time when we had more pressing needs imo

I would have rather seen us go CB there with Phillip Gaines. We could have look at ILB in the 4th or 5th rounds. Borland projects as a good back up but in the 1st 3 rounds I want players who project as starters or will rotate in as well as providing depth. Can't see Borland replacing Willis down the road.

I also would have preferred we drafted Cody Latimer in the 2nd instead of Hyde. Nothing against Hyde , good player and good value pick but we are overloaded at RB. Last year without Lattimore there were no carries left for LMJ who has averaged over 4 1/2 yds per carry in the NFL. Now with Lattimore added it will be even harder to get carries and we draft a RB in the 2nd rd to be our 5th RB? We needed a young WR to develop to replace Boldin down the road and possibly Crabtree next year. I like Ellington but he is more of a slot guy.

Yeah I agree. Admire his nonstop motor and tenacity, but other than a STs ace, not sure how he's going to contribute a lot

Borland vs Hyde
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
This is the only pick in the draft that I didn't really like. I'll submit just for conversation sake that he could be the third best inside linebacker in the NFL in time.(obviously an exaggeration) That still makes him a backup as soon as Bowman is healthy. And his contract will probably be up before Patrick is done. I also don't think he will beat out whilhoite for the starting job. Willhoite knows the defence, they trust him. And you don't spend a 3rd round pick on a ST guy.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Honestly, this is probably the pick I'm the least concerned with.

C'mon, linebackers on our team? When was the last time we had a bad linebacker?? lol

I'm a total Gabe Jackson fan BUT in Trent I trust.
I'd rather have Moncrief
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
Honestly, this is probably the pick I'm the least concerned with.

C'mon, linebackers on our team? When was the last time we had a bad linebacker?? lol

I guess that's the point, you shouldn't be concerned with a draft pick. you should be excited about it

Backup ILB was most definitely a need and I think a good player fell to them and they snatched him.

Think about it though, Michael Wilhoite was probably going to be our starting ILB and probably hold that role for at least half the season. We were one injury away from having Nick Moody seeing extensive playing time.

Wilhoite is by far the weakest link on that defense when he is playing. Hes an ok backup, but there is no more pressing need than upgrading Wilhoite as a starting ILB.

Granted its only for the short term, but a needs a need. (Its all irrelevent though because I think he was taken because he was the best player available rather than as a need)
Originally posted by BuckyLaw14:
Hey fellas,

Plus he's so quick that blockers have a tough time even getting a hand on him!
Share 49ersWebzone