LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Your expectations starting today....???

Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
The we trade up to get Mike Evans

I'm getting the feeling that teams are going to be going full potato and taking players way high....

McShay has Evans going top 5...
Doubt he go THAT high. I'm thinking around 8, 9, or 10.

Top 10 sure, but top 5???

Never know what craziness will happen....

I think Watkins goes at #2 to a team that trades up. Cleveland maybe jumps up two spots.

I think Evans goes at #5 to the Raiders or another team that trades up. Buffalo potentially.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by mayo49:
It would not be the end of the world to stay put. Plenty of options at WR

Exactly, we can still get good players if we stay put.

I argue we gain nothing from staying put, but that's me. You have 11 picks and no time to develop all of them. Time to spend that currency to get a guy you believe in.

I'm with you, we quality now, while we still have some key players in place.

Its not Baalkes style to reach. If a guy he likes is available as a spot we see good value at, he will pull the trigger, but he wont reach. Its simply not a part of his model. The overreactions are already starting. Again, it would not be the end of the world to stay put, or...gasp...trade back.

Its all about maintaining value in the draft.

Maintaining value won't win us a Super Bowl , we need impact players to do that and we need those players this year while we still have other impact players on the roster....

The reason our roster is what it is, is because of maintaining value and pics in the draft. This will not change under harbaalke. One player will not put this roster over the top or buy a super bowl. The NFL doesnt work that way, and it has been proven time and time again. Maybe in a precap era, but no longer.

If the value is there, they will make the move.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

this guy is one of the few guys in the draft that can do it all. Go deep (4.46/40) and great size to be a ball control receiver like Anquan. If Harbaake can make this happen, we're winning the superbowl this year. As it is, it will take our entire draft to move up that much to take him - in my opinion. Love for this to happen, and am hoping and praying for it to happen, but I sure as heck won't *bet* on it to happen.
What did they get from their FA signings??

I know our FA additions this year are much less than what Seattle added last year.

Foreseeable future....??? Lol, not very solid when you're talking about an All Pro LB. That just got his knee shredded and no one even knows what level he will return to, a WR that unless is franchised, is most likely gone, a franchise pass rusher who is one mental mishap from being off the team and though a stud player, a S that has shown an ability to attract concussions....

Yes, a very stable future indeed, by this logic, why worry about anything at all???

I didn't say last chance ever, I said with this group of talent that will undoubtedly be much different next season than what it has the past three seasons....

Again, by your logic, every single team in the NFL is on the brink of falling off a cliff--and that is true to an extent. Any star player can suffer a major injury at any point. Any star player can have legal troubles at any point. That said, the following points remain...

1. We have a relatively young, extremely talented roster that will remain intact for the foreseeable future. We are in a better position than virtually every other team in the league to win in 2014 and beyond.
2. Seattle's FA signings did help, but the idea that they were that much better because of them is foolish. They weren't really that much better or worse than they were in 2012. We almost (and should've) beat them in their building in the NFCCG. They undressed us in their building in 2012. The breaks just went their way last year, and didn't the previous year. We've been inches from a title 3 times in 3 years. It wasn't a lack of talent that cost us.
3. Stop being a desperate, panicky Chicken Little. I guarantee you Baalke isn't panicking. He will make measured moves with the knowledge that we are set up for years to come. Do you think he would've taken Carradine or Lattimore last year otherwise? And those moves will likely pay off this year. There's no reason for us to mortgage the future because of some imagined "closing window". The Pats have been at the top of the league for over a decade, and they didn't do it by panicking and going all in for one year.

I'm getting the feeling that teams are going to be going full potato and taking players way high....

I think Watkins goes at #2 to a team that trades up. Cleveland maybe jumps up two spots.

I think Evans goes at #5 to the Raiders or another team that trades up. Buffalo potentially.

If that happens and both Watkins and Evans are gone in the top 5, that seals our fate of not landing an impact WR, like Cooks or OBJ.

There will be a run on those top tier guys and the QBs will slide, we might as well stay put and take Varrett at #30 then go for WR tomorrow...
It would not be the end of the world to stay put. Plenty of options at WR

Exactly, we can still get good players if we stay put.

I argue we gain nothing from staying put, but that's me. You have 11 picks and no time to develop all of them. Time to spend that currency to get a guy you believe in.

I'm with you, we quality now, while we still have some key players in place.

Its not Baalkes style to reach. If a guy he likes is available as a spot we see good value at, he will pull the trigger, but he wont reach. Its simply not a part of his model. The overreactions are already starting. Again, it would not be the end of the world to stay put, or...gasp...trade back.

Its all about maintaining value in the draft.

Maintaining value won't win us a Super Bowl , we need impact players to do that and we need those players this year while we still have other impact players on the roster....

The reason our roster is what it is, is because of maintaining value and pics in the draft. This will not change under harbaalke. One player will not put this roster over the top or buy a super bowl. The NFL doesnt work that way, and it has been proven time and time again. Maybe in a precap era, but no longer.

I don't think trading up is "reaching." I think they will pinpoint the player they like and try to get that guy. If that guy goes early, then maybe they take their guy at another position.

Like if Beckham goes early, maybe they start looking at their favorite CB's? Something like that.

Latimer, Matthews or Moncrief at #30 isn't too bad. I'd be happy with that.
I agree with Nick on this. While I'd be fine with staying put at #30 (in HarBaalk I trust) I think we should spend some picks for a top guy. We are really, really close this coming season. I doubt HarBaalk will mortgage our 2015 draft but we don't have many needs at all with 11 picks to fill them. Even if we drafted all 11 picks - doubt it - I cannot see more than 7 guys actually making our 53 this draft. Why not pend a little to get a real impact guy who might be a difference in pushing us to our 6th Lombardi.

If that happens and both Watkins and Evans are gone in the top 5, that seals our fate of not landing an impact WR, like Cooks or OBJ.

There will be a run on those top tier guys and the QBs will slide, we might as well stay put and take Varrett at #30 then go for WR tomorrow...

Eh, I'd argue they should still trade up for their favorite player. If the WR's go, then get their favorite CB or S.

Very well said. The reason we're even able to discuss a potential move up is because of Baalke's foresight in stockpiling picks.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Gonna take a DL stefon tuitt from ND

I agree with Nick on this. While I'd be fine with staying put at #30 (in HarBaalk I trust) I think we should spend some picks for a top guy. We are really, really close this coming season. I doubt HarBaalk will mortgage our 2015 draft but we don't have many needs at all with 11 picks to fill them. Even if we drafted all 11 picks - doubt it - I cannot see more than 7 guys actually making our 53 this draft. Why not pend a little to get a real impact guy who might be a difference in pushing us to our 6th Lombardi.

I think trading up is more about the 49ers getting the guy THEY LIKE. You can talk about dudes that are ranked high on mocks, but Harbaalke did their homework. They know who they like. They WANT who they like. Better than waiting at #30 and hoping the guy you like falls to you.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Possible trade up (as we went back and forth in another thread) is to move from the 4rth to the 3rd and the 3rd to the 2nd. We just might stay at 30 if that's how the draft pans out and they miss out on *their* players. But you are right, I don't think we stay put, most likely we'll be trading up and down for each and every round. If not, I'd be a bit disappointed.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I think trading up is more about the 49ers getting the guy THEY LIKE. You can talk about dudes that are ranked high on mocks, but Harbaalke did their homework. They know who they like. They WANT who they like. Better than waiting at #30 and hoping the guy you like falls to you.

I just don't think we will find a trade partner to get into the mid teens to get Beckham, Lee or Cooks. That's why I'm just conceding we'll end up picking at #30. Don't get me wrong I'd love to move up for a stud, but I just don't think it's going to happen.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Possible trade up (as we went back and forth in another thread) is to move from the 4rth to the 3rd and the 3rd to the 2nd. We just might stay at 30 if that's how the draft pans out and they miss out on *their* players. But you are right, I don't think we stay put, most likely we'll be trading up and down for each and every round. If not, I'd be a bit disappointed.

What's funny Giedi... I'm starting to think the 49ers aren't going to get their WR unless they are looking at Cooks or Lee. I think Evans and ODB are gone by pick #12. I think they might shift their eyes to CB or S instead and still move up, but maybe not as much. There's gonna be an early run on WR's... could change a lot.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
What did they get from their FA signings??

I know our FA additions this year are much less than what Seattle added last year.

Foreseeable future....??? Lol, not very solid when you're talking about an All Pro LB. That just got his knee shredded and no one even knows what level he will return to, a WR that unless is franchised, is most likely gone, a franchise pass rusher who is one mental mishap from being off the team and though a stud player, a S that has shown an ability to attract concussions....

Yes, a very stable future indeed, by this logic, why worry about anything at all???

I didn't say last chance ever, I said with this group of talent that will undoubtedly be much different next season than what it has the past three seasons....

Again, by your logic, every single team in the NFL is on the brink of falling off a cliff--and that is true to an extent. Any star player can suffer a major injury at any point. Any star player can have legal troubles at any point. That said, the following points remain...

1. We have a relatively young, extremely talented roster that will remain intact for the foreseeable future. We are in a better position than virtually every other team in the league to win in 2014 and beyond.
2. Seattle's FA signings did help, but the idea that they were that much better because of them is foolish. They weren't really that much better or worse than they were in 2012. We almost (and should've) beat them in their building in the NFCCG. They undressed us in their building in 2012. The breaks just went their way last year, and didn't the previous year. We've been inches from a title 3 times in 3 years. It wasn't a lack of talent that cost us.
3. Stop being a desperate, panicky Chicken Little. I guarantee you Baalke isn't panicking. He will make measured moves with the knowledge that we are set up for years to come. Do you think he would've taken Carradine or Lattimore last year otherwise? And those moves will likely pay off this year. There's no reason for us to mortgage the future because of some imagined "closing window". The Pats have been at the top of the league for over a decade, and they didn't do it by panicking and going all in for one year.

Lol, sorry but I can't draw illustrations for you Bro...

It's simple....

Would you rather try to win a SB with or without Crabtree?

Would you rather try to win a SB with or without Aldon Smith?

Would you rather try to win a SB with a younger or older Justin Smith, Anquan Boldin and Frank Gore?

Would you rather try to win a SB with the same coaching staff that's been in place for the past 3 years, or a staff that may have new coaches?

Would you rather try to win a SB with Iupati in the line, or without Iupati on the team?

Sorry you don't get it, but no one ever said anything about panicking, that's something you pulled out of no where.

Its really quite simple, we have a much better chance, or a higher percentage, to win a SB with fore mentioned players and an influx of quality rookies, compared to the alternative.

I know it seems hard for you to understand, but no one is saying this is the final time the 49ers have a chance to win the SB, just that this is going to be the best chance with the current roster at its best.
Share 49ersWebzone