LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Your expectations starting today....???

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
It would not be the end of the world to stay put. Plenty of options at WR

Exactly, we can still get good players if we stay put.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hate to say it, but we better hit on some of these guys, because the window is closing on the current group of players. Many of these guys are already in their 30's or turning 30 during the year, and that is pretty old for the NFL. Can't believe I am saying that. 30 is old.

Don't go saying this,,there people in here that will actually argue this fact with you...
Originally posted by mayo49:

I argue we gain nothing from staying put, but that's me. You have 11 picks and no time to develop all of them. Time to spend that currency to get a guy you believe in.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hate to say it, but we better hit on some of these guys, because the window is closing on the current group of players. Many of these guys are already in their 30's or turning 30 during the year, and that is pretty old for the NFL. Can't believe I am saying that. 30 is old.

yeah, Eddie D. did have a point, you can't let the team grow old around a young QB like Kaepernick. There are 16 players that are 29 and over as of today. It may not be this year, and more likely next year - where we transition to a more youthful team. But if there is a scenario where you go for more picks vs quality picks, it will be next year due to age.
The we trade up to get Mike Evans
Originally posted by NickSh49:

I argue we gain nothing from staying put, but that's me. You have 11 picks and no time to develop all of them. Time to spend that currency to get a guy you believe in.

I'm with you, we quality now, while we still have some key players in place.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

I'm getting the feeling that teams are going to be going full potato and taking players way high....

McShay has Evans going top 5...
Originally posted by Giedi:
If this scenario pans out, Baalke is going to back out of the first round and trade back and get more picks in rounds 2 and rounds 3. Then he'll pick his 7 or 8 players from there and the rest he'll trade for the 2015 draft. As much as I'd like a WR that has Hall of Fame talent, there are some good day 2 WR's that have the speed that we need to make this offense better. Multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds means we can create competition at both CB positions and both Safety positions.

I agree with your line of thinking. Good chance of Lee, Latimer, Matthews, Robinson, Benjamin, Richardson all there for the taking in the second round.

So if Evans, Cooks and Beckham gone, we may not be picking today...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Latimer, Matthews or Moncrief at #30 isn't too bad. I'd be happy with that.
Originally posted by CWin4949:

I'm getting the feeling that teams are going to be going full potato and taking players way high....

Doubt he go THAT high. I'm thinking around 8, 9, or 10.

Its not Baalkes style to reach. If a guy he likes is available as a spot we see good value at, he will pull the trigger, but he wont reach. Its simply not a part of his model. The overreactions are already starting. Again, it would not be the end of the world to stay put, or...gasp...trade back.

Its all about maintaining value in the draft.

Doubt he go THAT high. I'm thinking around 8, 9, or 10.

Top 10 sure, but top 5???

Never know what craziness will happen....
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by Giedi:
If this scenario pans out, Baalke is going to back out of the first round and trade back and get more picks in rounds 2 and rounds 3. Then he'll pick his 7 or 8 players from there and the rest he'll trade for the 2015 draft. As much as I'd like a WR that has Hall of Fame talent, there are some good day 2 WR's that have the speed that we need to make this offense better. Multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds means we can create competition at both CB positions and both Safety positions.

I agree with your line of thinking. Good chance of Lee, Latimer, Matthews, Robinson, Benjamin, Richardson all there for the taking in the second round.

So if Evans, Cooks and Beckham gone, we may not be picking today...

Benjamin may be available in the third round....we'll see.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
As I've said since early-April, I think it is very likely the 49ers make two first round picks that are insta-starters for this team.

But most likely? A trade up for a WR, probably Beckham or Cooks unless the Raiders are feeling generous.

That would be the best scenario, if that comes about. I'm all for it. We won't know till after the draft of course, but considering 30 is pretty far back and with so many teams wanting the top WR's I don't see us using that much capital to trade up for two picks in the first round. I can see us trading our 30th plus a 2nd or a 3rd to go up, but to get two first round picks would take too much draft capital in my book.

Its not Baalkes style to reach. If a guy he likes is available as a spot we see good value at, he will pull the trigger, but he wont reach. Its simply not a part of his model. The overreactions are already starting. Again, it would not be the end of the world to stay put, or...gasp...trade back.

Its all about maintaining value in the draft.

Maintaining value won't win us a Super Bowl , we need impact players to do that and we need those players this year while we still have other impact players on the roster....
Share 49ersWebzone