LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

Your expectations starting today....???

What are your expectations from this years draft?

The way I see it, we already have a very strong roster and this season is really our last stand with the current group.

We have all the key players intact, we have all the coaching staff intact and we have 6 freakin picks in the first three rounds.

I don't think any other team is in a better position than us right now to make a Super Bowl run. This situation isn't the same thing as the Eagles trying to buy a dream team, but rather a strong, championship level team trying to get over the hump.

With the way the schedule played out, I think if we add 2-3 QUALITY rookies, that step in from day one and can contribute in all three phases, it makes our roster deeper and more talented than any other in the NFL.

So I expect Baalke and Co, to be aggressive and go out and land INSTANT impact players that the coaching staff puts on the field from day one.

I don't want to see any project players that we can bring along and that can sit and learn, I don't want to draft 2 guys at the same position that are insurance for each other in case one doesn't pan out, I don't want to see guys drafted that are practice squad targets and I don't want to waste ANY picks on positions that are already secure enough to get us through a Super Bowl run.

I'm not against drafting a couple injured players to put on IR, but only AFTER we land a few impact players.

This is our chance to make a run and I honestly feel that before the draft even starts, we are the team to beat in the NFL. With the abundance of picks we have, it's time to land the difference makers that will get us #6!!!!
[ Edited by CWin4949 on May 8, 2014 at 5:48 AM ]
I expect them to draft well and add guys who can make impact this season but more so be ready to jump into starting jobs the following season.

That's why as far as receivers go I'd love to see Latimer & Ellington be the picks. Both guys can contribute this year in spot duty but both should be better pro players than college players. Especially Ellington. That kid is going to be special.
every weak spot strengthened , and at least one redshirt project for 2015
I expect to be pumped up big time after it s all over.
I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see us land Cooks and Verrett today.....
I'm pretty much of the same opinion as you. I want to see at least 1 pick that is projected to be a starter at CB within the first few games of the season, a legitimate #2-3 WR by mid season (who could become the defacto #1 in 2015, and a couple of strong contenders for LB/DL. Pick up another #2 for next season and I'm a happy camper.

...but it will all come down to hos this draft unfolds. Very seldom have I seen such a wide disparity in where some players have been projected to go in various mock drafts. Odell Beckham Jr goes anywhere from 8-23, Verrett from around 13-32.etc. etc.

I have a hunch the phones will be burning up through the whole thing, and the Front Office will be exhausted by the end - but that's no guarantee that a single attempted trade will come to fruition.
A few things I hope or expect to happen:

I hope we can get a guy like Beckham or Cooks but I would settle for Matthews or Landry. Just someone who can come in and contribute day 1. They will be our #3 this year with a chance to be the #1 or 2 next year if Crabtree leaves.

I hope we get Fuller or Verrett to be our day 1 slot cb. If we don't I think a guy like Breeland could be taken at 56 or 61.

With no 6 round pick I expect us to get one by trading back and having it part of a package or possibly move up from the 7th and give up say 2-3 7s. Won't matter if we use all 3 of our 7s because I'm sure we will pick one up along the way from trading.

At least 1 IR guy like Aaron Colvin or Spencer Long. Someone with potential who we can IR then have then come back next year.

Add a few picks for next year since we only have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 (cam johnson but could go for martin). Maybe a trade down in the 2nd or 3rd this year to pick up an extra 3 or 4 next year. Maybe even a 2nd.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 8, 2014 at 7:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
A few things I hope or expect to happen:

I hope we can get a guy like Beckham or Cooks but I would settle for Matthews or Landry. Just someone who can come in and contribute day 1. They will be our #3 this year with a chance to be the #1 or 2 next year if Crabtree leaves.

I hope we get Fuller or Verrett to be our day 1 slot cb. If we don't I think a guy like Breeland could be taken at 56 or 61.

With no 6 round pick I expect us to get one by trading back and having part of a package or possibly move up from the 7th and give up say 2-3 7s. Won't matter if we use all 3 of our 7s because I'm sure we will pick one up along the way from trading.

At least 1 IR guy like Aaron Colvin or Spencer Long. Someone with potential who we can IR then have then come back next year.

Add a few picks for next year since we only have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 (cam johnson but could go for martin). Maybe a trade down in the 2nd or 3rd this year to pick up an extra 3 or 4 next year. Maybe even a 2nd.

Honestly, we've been spoiled over the past few years with so many additional picks, then even the years where we had two first rounders, if we walked into the draft with only our alotted picks, it would seem we were being short changed.....
Beckham, a couple CB's (Desir and either McGill or Florida kid), and Herron in the 3rd or 4th.

Late round pass rushing prospect would be nice too
Last stand with the current group? We only stand to lose Crab or Iupati, not both. In fact, it's possible both are retained. Kap's extension is a foregone conclusion and we exercised Aldon's option. Virtually all other key players are under contract through 2015.

That said, I expect us to draft like we normally do. As someone else stated, we were not players away from Super Bowls the past 3 years, we were plays away. You could easily make the case that we had the most talented roster in each of the past 3 seasons.

If Baalke has a guy he wants that fills a need, and the price is right, he'll go up and get him. If he has the opportunity to trade away an unnecessary 2014 pick for a higher pick in 2015, he'll do it. I think we continue to draft for sustained long-term success.

As a fan, however, I'd be pretty pumped if we made a Julio Jones style move and jumped into the top 10 for Mike Evans.

Originally posted by CWin4949:
Honestly, we've been spoiled over the past few years with so many additional picks, then even the years where we had two first rounders, if we walked into the draft with only our alotted picks, it would seem we were being short changed.....

I agree we have been really spoiled. Extra 2nd's and 3rd's, extra 1sts. Certainly don't envy Redskins fans going into the draft some years with like a 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th. Makes the draft a lot more exciting if I had just a 4, 5, 6, 7 I would be upset and not sure I would want to even study the draft that year. Would have to hope we traded up but then you start trading away future picks which is not a good idea especially when it's a high pick.

Years since 2000 we had extra 1, 2 or 3 (or ended up with one by trading)...
2000 - 2 1sts, 2 3rds
2004 - 2 2nds
2005 - 2 3rds
2006 - 2 1sts
2007 - 2 1sts
2010 - 2 1sts
2013 - 2 2nds
2014 - 2 2nds, 3 3rds

That's 8 of 15 years we had extra 1st, 2nd or 3rd and 4 of those years was extra 1st. And total since 2007 if i counted right 107 picks for them, 124 for us. Would be interesting to see how many each team has had since 2000. Then again it's some what irrelevant because 1st is better than 3 7s.

Looking at redskins ended up with:
2001 5 picks
2003 3 picks
2004 4 picks
2007 5 picks
2009 6 picks
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 8, 2014 at 7:47 AM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Last stand with the current group? We only stand to lose Crab or Iupati, not both. In fact, it's possible both are retained. Kap's extension is a foregone conclusion and we exercised Aldon's option. Virtually all other key players are under contract through 2015.

s.

Absolutely our last chance with the current group.

Though they have a couple years left (of good production) players like Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Frank Gore, Anquan Boldin are players that are getting long in the tooth and as each season passes they are all candidates to age over night and not be at their top rated playing levels.
Whether we lose both Crabtree and Iupati remains to be seen, but at time when both have developed into solid assets to the team, if both are lost and any combination of the fore mentioned players, the roster landscape changes drastically, throw in the fact that at some point this coaching staff is going to go through changes, it puts a new level of importance for the current team to achieve what they haven't been able to do the past three years.

I'm not saying that everything is going to fall apart after this season, but I do think this is the last season we will see all these players at the level they can attain a championship and also the coaching staff unchanged.

There's too much talent for this roster to go through a true rebuilding year, but with the loss of some of the leaders on the current roster, I do think we might *suffer* through a 9-7, or even 8-8 period.

We need to get the job done this season, just like Vernon Davis has already stated....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't expect to be able to trade up. I'm praying Latimer somehow falls to us at #30.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM ]
We drafting errrybody!

And then we drafting errrybody else too!
This is a critical draft. We're already botched 2012, and 2013 is a wild card minus Reid. With all the draft capital we have, the 49ers need to reload the roster with inexpensive pieces, or else our status as a contender will see the beginning of the end.
Share 49ersWebzone