LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

the 49ers surprise trade-up pick

Kelvin Benjamin if offense
Gilbert if it's defense first, though he wouldn't be a suprise
Originally posted by crake49:
I really don't think that's going to happen. I don't think Watkins slides to 10 and I don't think the Niners give up three high picks for anyone this year. Most mock drafts have them taking either a receiver or a corner at #30. That's what they need and they'll get it there. Walters Football thinks they'll take Odell Beckham at #30. He's not as big as Watkins, but he's not small at about 6 feet, 195, and he's got equal speed. A couple other mocks have them taking corners - there are a couple corners at 6 feet or taller who will be available at #30.

Ummmm no, Beckham does not have equal speed to Watkins
Were not going to take a Dline player... We won't have a shot at one of the good wr's, plus we will keep boldin and crabtree, and pat for the third. Were going to have major backhalf issue on the defense, Carlos is overpaid, Brown and whitner free agents, Cutl coming of a major leg injury, Brock and Reid are both young and still need more polishing.
I doubt we are going to move up in the draft into the top 10, there are many teams on the cusp that want to move up and several that want to move down. However, you always hope to find a raiders or cowboys deal where they want to get rid of the pick because they just lost out on several prospects they wanted.

As always, the key is the QB's, who reaches and when or how many are taken.
We Need cornerbacks.
Seems like a deep draft so is trading back into the top 2-8 of the Second round and getting appropriate compensation possible?

If so how would you use 3 second round and 3 third round picks? Maybe we'd be better off.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Seems like a deep draft so is trading back into the top 2-8 of the Second round and getting appropriate compensation possible?

If so how would you use 3 second round and 3 third round picks? Maybe we'd be better off.

If there's not a particular player they are absolutely wowed by, I'm definitely in favorite of that, trading back a few times, stacking picks for 2015, and the middle rounds are loaded when it comes to cornerback and receiver, not to mention the only safety worthy of a 1st round choice is Clinton-Dix and he'll be long gone before the 49ers 1st round pick.
Well as of next year we only have 8 picks. All our picks and the 7th for Cam Johnson. So it's not like these past few years so I could definitely see us using all these picks this year to either trade up or to add some for next year. Let's say Dennard, Gilbert, Verrett, Clinton-Dix, etc are gone at 30.. I'd have no problem moving back to say 40ish, picking up a 3rd next year or possibly even 4th and 5th or 6th next year. I don't think I'd go back any further than say 45 or so. Let's say we think we can get Beckham, Landry, Matthews, Roberson, Robinson, Roby, Yankey, Cooks, etc there then I'd have no problem moving back 10-15 spots and picking up something for next year. Again, we only have 8 picks next year so wouldn't hurt to add some. Could very well do that with our 3rd as well, trade it outright for 2nd next year if someone bites.

I'd say there is as good of chance of us trading back into the 2nd as there is us trading up. The end of the 1st is a great spot to have. Desperate bad teams always are willing to come up at the end of day one and get that guy who falls. I wouldn't be surprised if we used a 3rd or 4th to move up either. Maybe from 30 to 20 or so and picked up Dennard, Gilbert, Clinton-Dix, etc. As for a surprise pick I just don't see us moving up for a NT, DE, OT, etc. If we move up it's for a CB, WR or maybe a SS if Whitner isn't back. I just see not point in trading up for OL or DL that would be depth.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by crake49:
I really don't think that's going to happen. I don't think Watkins slides to 10 and I don't think the Niners give up three high picks for anyone this year. Most mock drafts have them taking either a receiver or a corner at #30. That's what they need and they'll get it there. Walters Football thinks they'll take Odell Beckham at #30. He's not as big as Watkins, but he's not small at about 6 feet, 195, and he's got equal speed. A couple other mocks have them taking corners - there are a couple corners at 6 feet or taller who will be available at #30.

Ummmm no, Beckham does not have equal speed to Watkins

Watkins fastest unofficial time was 4.27. Beckham's fastest unofficial time was 4.30. So you're probably right. We'll see at the official times at the combine. At any rate, I don't think Watkins is within reach of the Niners, but Beckham might be there at #30 and a 4.3 is still considered elite speed - it would be a good deal faster than any wide receiver currently on the team.
Originally posted by TexasNiner915:
KELVIN BENJAMIN
NO

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

That is what I was thinking too. Trading up in the1st round for safeties in back to back years would be a surprise.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

That is what I was thinking too. Trading up in the1st round for safeties in back to back years would be a surprise.
Pryor has an Eric Reid type of game to me. Fangio loves having interchangeable safeties. If we don't resign Whitner, we will more than likely need a safety (depends on FA). I could see Baalke making a move to jump the Eagles to grab him.
Teams that sacrifice a lot of high picks to get one player (especially a WR) are usually desperate...Atlanta was desperate trading up to get Julio Jones. Great player, yes, but losing out on all the picks it took to get him has truly hurt them as a team. Ditto the 'Skins getting RG III. There's absolutely no way Baalke will do that and he's 100% right. His team came within an eyelash of going back to the SB...sacrificing all those high picks doesn't insure anything...only that you'll have far less top picks coming to your team.
I say we trade up to the pick 17 with Dallas give them pick 30 and 77 which is nearly identical to the trade with them from last year 31 and 75. Then we target Evans or Lee which ever one slides that far.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Jadaveon Clowney book it!

We have tons of ammo. If he falls we could make a big move. Crabtree, Iupati, our first, and two seconds, and two thirds we could easily move up and get him. Defense wins championships.
Share 49ersWebzone