LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

the 49ers surprise trade-up pick

Originally posted by jersey49er:
i was going to ask about him bc im not to familiar with him..is he really that limited..?

Yes. Washington is far more athlete than wide receiver. He'll be a late round pick, I'd still rather take my chances with a small school guy who played against crap competition but is a skilled receiver. Would take someone like Ryan Grant out of Tulane, smaller, not as fast, but far more skilled, better hands, better route runner..etc.

When you basically have to teach a guy to play wide receiver, it usually doesn't end well. Washington is a lot like Tommy Streeter and we all saw how that went.
I can only imagine them trading up for two positions - corner or wide receiver. They don't need to trade up for anything this year, but if they do, I'd bet it would be for a stud at either of those positions.
Trade #30 and #56 and #77 to move up and nab Watkins if he gets to 10 somehow.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Trade #30 and #56 and #77 to move up and nab Watkins if he gets to 10 somehow.

I really don't think that's going to happen. I don't think Watkins slides to 10 and I don't think the Niners give up three high picks for anyone this year. Most mock drafts have them taking either a receiver or a corner at #30. That's what they need and they'll get it there. Walters Football thinks they'll take Odell Beckham at #30. He's not as big as Watkins, but he's not small at about 6 feet, 195, and he's got equal speed. A couple other mocks have them taking corners - there are a couple corners at 6 feet or taller who will be available at #30.
Originally posted by Diaperfan:
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
I say move on D. Dennard and move again on A. Roberson

Yes to Dennard , no to Robinson.

Dennard and Gilbert are about the only two(realistically) I'd trade up for.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasNiner915:
KELVIN BENJAMIN

oh my. iffy hands. why? this guy will give you equal measures of joy and pain.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Jernigan's very good, but there are a couple of others who'd seem to be better 5-technique guys: Hageman and Tuitt. I think Tuitt's the guy to go after IF Baalke just goes for BPA in the 1st rd. At 6-6, 320, he combines not only the size & strength, but has amazing quickness for a guy his size. He's projected to run a 4.80 X 40 which is absolutely insane.

i agree, tuitt's the best guy for the job, but i said "out of left field" pick, so it's an highly unusual pick we're talking here.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I hope we move up to #15 and take Mike Evans

if you're totally honest, you have to admit there is some jj stokes in evans' on-field presence. that raises a small red flag for me. in the end, few big and tall receivers do what you'd like. i don't see this guy being a boom player. in most cases, corners will find it pretty easy to harass evans. there's some lumbering in his movements; not good.
How about this.... We need, or could use these.... and I think it will be a successful draft if we get any from this list

DB's
Dennard
Gilbert
Ha Ha
Colvin
Exum
Baptiste
Pryor
Purifoy
Roby
Verrett

WR
Watkins
Beckam
Benjamin
Cooks
Lee
Landry
Herron
Moncrief
Robinson
Boyd

DL
Donald
Ford
Jernigan
Nix
Tuitt

RB
Hyde
A. Williams
Mason
Seastrunk
Wilder Jr.

QB
Fales
Lynch (project)
Logan Thomas (project)
The Raiders need many players and would possibly look to move down from #5. The cost in moving up there though could also include a #1 next year and that may be too much

I could see us trading up to 18 (Jets) or 19 (Miami) to get either Ha Ha or Dennard if either slips that far. Minnesota at 8 is a slight possibility - they desperately need Oline help so if the 49ers were inclined to send their 1st, 2nd, and Iupati (in the VERY SLIGHT CHANCE they'd be willing to part with him), I could see the Vikings agreeing to that if they feel the QB they desperately need could be had in the late first or early second.
Originally posted by btwagner:
The Raiders need many players and would possibly look to move down from #5. The cost in moving up there though could also include a #1 next year and that may be too much

Which is why I feel that there is a small chance Iupati is shopped at the draft. He might be the extra "chip" a team would be willing to take rather than our 2015 first rounder. And although Harbaugh probably values Iupati way higher than a 2015 first round pick, I am not sure Baalke does given who else he needs to resign.
Jason Verrett is a guy I think they might do a small trade up for. I hope he slips a bit due to his size.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btwagner:

don't underestimate the raiders ability to get theirselves raped. lol
Originally posted by midrdan:
I could see us trading up to 18 (Jets) or 19 (Miami) to get either Ha Ha or Dennard if either slips that far. Minnesota at 8 is a slight possibility - they desperately need Oline help so if the 49ers were inclined to send their 1st, 2nd, and Iupati (in the VERY SLIGHT CHANCE they'd be willing to part with him), I could see the Vikings agreeing to that if they feel the QB they desperately need could be had in the late first or early second.

the Vikings GM also said he aims at having 10 picks in the draft, at the moment they have 8 i guess. so one could think about trading up to 8. however, i personally do not think baalke will do this. as others have stated, trading up to an area 15-20 like last year seems to be more likely.
Share 49ersWebzone