LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Target pick in 1st round?

Target pick in 1st round?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I sorta agree with you Ghost on your post above. But if Gilbert and/or Dennard are there, the pick has to be CB either one of them. I think there will be some value at WR in the 2nd round such as Donte Moncrief or Allen Robinson and they wouldn't be asked to start right away. I think the CB position is top heavy a little bit. I mean iif you want a CB that can either come right in and start or add serious competition at the corner position, then I think the 9ers shouldn't pass up one of the top CBs in this draft.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I sorta agree with you Ghost on your post above. But if Gilbert and/or Dennard are there, the pick has to be CB either one of them. I think there will be some value at WR in the 2nd round such as Donte Moncrief or Allen Robinson and they wouldn't be asked to start right away. I think the CB position is top heavy a little bit. I mean iif you want a CB that can either come right in and start or add serious competition at the corner position, then I think the 9ers shouldn't pass up one of the top CBs in this draft.

I don't disagree that they should (especially Gilbert), but I get the feeling they won't. Their off-man, "two-read" cover schemes don't necessarily require high-end cover skills coming out of college. They need to be more generalists it seems, having solid enough cover skills/fundamentals to play in the league but also enough smarts/ability to drop into zone coverage as the play unfolds. In other words, pure man-cover guys might not actually be ideal for this scheme.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we went safety again (depending on what happens to Whitner) in the first given how much more important that role is to the defense than corner.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:21 AM ]
If we lose Whitner SS would probably be the biggest need of all but I still wouldn't take one first because the value isn't there unless you take someone like Clinton-Dix and convert him to SS. Other than that I'd wait and use one of the 2nd's on one. Things could change but as of now just don't think anyone is worth a late first at SS minus a converted Clinton-Dix.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
We don't have any gaping holes at the moment, however that may change once we start to lose players to free agency. Just like losing Dashon determined our first round pick last year, the starter that we lose this year will probably determine the area of need that we pursue this year.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If we stay put IMO the most value will likely be at WR. But the pick will be either WR or CB imo. If we want CB though its probably best we move up and snag the one we want since its not a very deep class.

Not sure we really need a 1st round CB though. Brock will start on one side and Cully will be back next year, so you've got two young corners as starters. Eric Wright seems to like it here and will likely not break the bank to re-sign. Carlos Rodgers isn't going to get a big payday from anyone, so he'd be a fool not to take a pay cut from his $6M base so he still might be around. Throw in Morris and you've got 5 veteran CBs right there.

Yes I think we'll draft a CB, but I don't think it has to or will be a 1st rounder.

IF we have a good return on our current CB's than i agree, much will be seen during the off season. If wright and rogers are both gone, than CB becomes a huge need.

Even then, Baalke seems content to bargain shop for CBs and seems to feel like he can get good value in later rounds or even undrafted (Cully in the 3rd, Brock/Morris as UDFAs, Marcus Cooper who likely would've contributed in the 7th). Just my opinion, but if there isn't enough value there in the late 1st for a CB, I don't see him reaching for one.

If he can flip the pick for a next year's 1st round pick that would be nice and Target Dorial Green Beckham the kid is going to be a star in the NFL
Having five picks in the first 3 rounds...you can go best player available or target to move up. I can see them going DB in the first because there seem to be so many WRs evenly rated in the late first through the second.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 7, 2014 at 6:44 AM ]
i really want Dennard from Michigan State or Roby from Ohio state. Imagine having this amazing secondary consisting of Dennard, an emerging Brock, a healthy Culliver and hopefully T.Brown, not to mention a full offseason for Eric Wright, to go along with our pass rush.
Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard should be the pick. if neither are available, we go BPA.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard should be the pick. if neither are available, we go BPA.

Too many buts to go BPA in the first couple of rounds. Can't see them going for OLB, ILB, QB, RB, TE, O line and probably not D line that early, either.

So it ends up really not being BPA!
It all depends on if we sign Boldin back. If we do Id go cb and Gilbert. If we dont i think its Robinson, Watkins, Beckham, or Benjiman. With as many problems we have had at wr best believe with or without Boldin we will draft a couple wr's.

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
It all depends on if we sign Boldin back. If we do Id go cb and Gilbert. If we dont i think its Robinson, Watkins, Beckham, or Benjiman. With as many problems we have had at wr best believe with or without Boldin we will draft a couple wr's.

I wonder how Chuck Jacobs is looking on the practice squad. Any chance he's getting better?
But speaking of the receiver problems, do you think it has anything to do with the WR coach or is it a talent scouting problem? Baldwin has the measurables we all ask for but he's not developing, Lockette got cut but makes plays in Seattle, even Jenkins had a crucial 3rd Down conversion in the colts/chiefs game on Saturday so I wonder what it is.

I mean personally, I would love to see Watkins, Crabtree and Patton because Patton and Watkins alone are really exciting players to me that seem to compete, be playmakers and are willing to work harder than anyone. But if you think about it, we only have 2 players left from the 2012 draft, one who's a returner(LMJ) and the other (Looney, who looked horrible in Preseason) just rides the bench. We drafted hurt guys and depth in 2013 because we have depth to do that so I expect a lot of turnover next season adding 2 DL(Carridine and Dial), a runningback(Lattimore), and 2 LB(Moody and Lemonier). We're gonna be cutting at least 3 guys before we do anything.
Im expecting the niners to part ways with Manningham, TJE, Dobbs, and Probably Rogers and we already have the replacements for everyone but Rogers, a CB would most logical to me.
I want Roby, Gilbert,or Dennard if Watkins is gone and then trade up in the 2nd for a receiver.
Im hearing that Roby could drop into the second though and that we might take Benjamin in the 1st so if we got Benjamin in the first and traded up in the 2nd for Roby, we'd get off to a good start
i think WR is need #1. boldin is old and may not even be able to keep him if he wants too much, crabs is under contract for another year or something and i think he will be extended and patton is on his deal for a few years. outside of these guys we have no future. i think they need to draft the top WR they can get and groom them while atleast crabs is here, hopefully boldin too. i think we take atleast two WR in this draft and hopefully one of em is a top prospect (at pick 32 lol) or moving up to get someone. we have tons of picks and not too many vacancies to fill so trade some picks and move up
Even then, Baalke seems content to bargain shop for CBs and seems to feel like he can get good value in later rounds or even undrafted (Cully in the 3rd, Brock/Morris as UDFAs, Marcus Cooper who likely would've contributed in the 7th). Just my opinion, but if there isn't enough value there in the late 1st for a CB, I don't see him reaching for one.

Interesting thought occurred to me as I read your post...Baalke seems wary of drafting highly paid positions high in the draft. Jenkins may reinforce this fear of first round skill players. My reasoning, regarding his reasoning, is that skill players tend to skew the salary balance after the rookie contracts run out. Highest paid positions--QB, CB, DE, LB, RB. He has Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman and Gore all at the top of their games but also high character guys who will work with the team on money to maximize the team concept. Kaepernick is still on his rookie contract. Their CBs are either inexpensive vet FAs or young draftees. WR is oddly low in comparison to other skill positions.

Baalke's first round choices by position:

OL--2 (good picks, might become great)
WR--2 (one good, one bad)
OLB--1 (great)
DE--1 (bad)

Bad--Jenkins, Balmer
Good--Aldon, Davis, Iupati
Crabtree--mixed, has played 61 of 80 games over five years, making him a bit iffy to me.
Even though the corners seem a bit weak next year for the niners, I believe they will be ok with most of the guys they will keep. One guy who always seems to impress me when he does play is Darryl Morris. If he has the mental tools and character to become an nfl corner, I think he could be a star. The last play where he made up a lot of space to tackle the receiver was like something I rarely see in the nfl. He appeared to just make everyone else look slow. He appears like an assegai spear zipping in and he appears to have little regard for causing concussions when he hits. I can't recall any dbs with his sort of skills that are on the teams I saw last year. Of course there are the Nate Davis's who can't handle the mental apects and show the determination to excel but if he does, and the niners get another good corner, they would match any team in the league.
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
If he can flip the pick for a next year's 1st round pick that would be nice and Target Dorial Green Beckham the kid is going to be a star in the NFL

I also vote to do this!
Share 49ersWebzone