LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Target pick in 1st round?

Target pick in 1st round?

I keep going back and forth on which position the Niners should target in the first. It seems like the general consensus is WR or CB.

so simple question, what position do they target?
I take CB over WR but either way is good with me. Mainly I say CB though because we don't use our #3 anyways. VD is like one of our 3 WRs basically. We will see what we have in Patton but CB might be the bigger need. Brock, Culliver, 1st/2nd vs Wright? for 3rd... Morris 5th.

WR hopefully is Crabtree, Boldin, Patton vs 1st/2nd... loser is 4th WR, 5th Osgood hopefully re-signed for ST. Osgood basically 6th WR if we draft another mid round WR but he will be active and #5 due to him being a ST star and it's unlikely we activate 6 for a game.

edit: guess it depends on who is left at CB and WR too but I think WR might be a deeper class with less top end talent and CB falls off fast from what I have seen so I'll get my CB round 1... get WR 2nd... then next 2nd rounder SS if no Whitner or if Whitner is back maybe trade it or take a C or C/G or G/T guy. Then after that doesn't matter can go another WR, another CB, DL, QB, T. I'm open for anything as long as we cover CB, WR and SS (if no Whitner early).
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 5, 2014 at 8:07 PM ]
CB for me.

Gilbert or Dennard in rd 1

someone like Jean-Baptise, Roberson, Gaines, Allen in 2nd-3rd round.

WR wise

Beckham Jr., Robinson, maybe Adams if he falls in rd 2

Landry, Abbrederias, Coleman in rd 3
Like I said, I go back and forth. Id love to see the Niners draft a burner WR like Lee who could take the top off of a D. But if they are gooing to trade up, they could get a legit #1 CB as well.

The one darkhorse for me is Louis Nix. The Niners have not targeted a NT early in some time. If Nix turned out to be the next Vince Wilfork, I wouldnt be very happy about drafting the next Rashaun Woods....
I'd pass on a NT. I'll stick with Dorsey with Williams, Dial, etc backing him up. Sure a great NT would be nice but it's not necessary in our system. We don't use our NT much but if we had a great one we'd probably keep him in on passing downs.
Just so many options for us.

1. CB 2. WR 2. SS. 3. CB/WR 3. C 3 goldson comp? DL/QB/OLB/T
1. WR 2. CB 2. SS 3. C 3. CB/WR 3 goldson comp? DL/QB/OLB/T
1. CB/WR 2.SS 2.CB/WR (whatever not in 1st) 3. C 3 goldson comp? DL/QB/OLB/T

You could throw in a trade of a 2nd or 3rd if say Whitner is back and we don't need a SS. Or if they think Kilgore is the C of the future might free up a pick to trade.

With DL depending on what they think they have in Carradine and Dobbs (if back) might not be a high need. Might only be one spot out there if Dobbs is gone... McDonald, Dorsey, Smith, Carradine, Williams, TJE, Dial, Rookie. If Dobbs is re-signed might not be room for anyone that would be 8 with Dobbs. Without him probably room for 1 more guy.

Also, not sure OLB could be picked but with Skuta and Lemonier signed through next year might not need to take anyone. Depends if they expect Skuta to be re-signed after next year and same with Aldon.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
SS if we don't resign Whitner. Which could be a possibility if he opts for money because there is a realistic chance that the Browns franchise TJ Ward, making Whitner the #1 SS and #2 Safety behind FS Jairus Byrd.

Should we resign Whitner it would mean we probably lost at least 1 of Rogers or Brown so it becomes CB. At this point I'd hope that we signed Cox to our typical 2 year deal a few weeks ago when he came back. Wright should/will give us a hometown discount so we'd enter the season with at worst a DC of Brock, Wright, Culliver, Cox, Rookie

WR if for some strange reason don't get Boldin back becomes #1. IMO even if Boldin comes back it is at worst a need that must be addressed in round 2. Knowing that Baldwin is expendable but still entering next year with Crabtree, Patton, and Baldwin as our top 3 is an unnerving thought. I like to to be Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Baldwin, Rookie but we simply don't know what Boldin will choose.

IMO....The most likely scenario in round 1 is needing a CB. I think Whitner will stick around due to his leadership and partnership with Reid, I think Boldin will come back because we are his type of team and this was best year since 2006, I think Rogers gets cut because of the leverage the FO has with Eric Wright, I think the fact Brock got an extension that Brown turned down shows that Brown is testing the market and he'll probably get over more than 4 years $16M.

Making the first 3 rounds worth of picks look like....
Round 1: CB
Round 2 via KC: WR
Round 2 own: CB/SS - if we lose both TB and Rogers I think we take 2 relatively early, maybe we get lucky and get a Safety that can play CB as well
Round 3 via Car(?): CB/WR - Knowing Baldwin is expendable and that the WR FA market isn't fantastic we could very well need 2 WRs by the time May is here.
Round 3 own: WR/CB - Flip these picks based on our roster decisions/free agency.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 5, 2014 at 8:51 PM ]
Trade up for Watkins
I
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
CB for me.

Gilbert or Dennard in rd 1

someone like Jean-Baptise, Roberson, Gaines, Allen in 2nd-3rd round.

WR wise

Beckham Jr., Robinson, maybe Adams if he falls in rd 2

Landry, Abbrederias, Coleman in rd 3

Yeah, I've been a Justin Gilbert guy for a long time now, although he may have played himself out of our range after his game the other night. Either way I like a corner in round one then any of the receivers you listed in round two.
In addition to WR and CB, we need a safety. Doubt we resign Whitner and I'm ok with that. Let's get another Eric Reid to pair up with Eric Reid.

If we stay put IMO the most value will likely be at WR. But the pick will be either WR or CB imo. If we want CB though its probably best we move up and snag the one we want since its not a very deep class.
Flip a coin
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If we stay put IMO the most value will likely be at WR. But the pick will be either WR or CB imo. If we want CB though its probably best we move up and snag the one we want since its not a very deep class.

Not sure we really need a 1st round CB though. Brock will start on one side and Cully will be back next year, so you've got two young corners as starters. Eric Wright seems to like it here and will likely not break the bank to re-sign. Carlos Rodgers isn't going to get a big payday from anyone, so he'd be a fool not to take a pay cut from his $6M base so he still might be around. Throw in Morris and you've got 5 veteran CBs right there.

Yes I think we'll draft a CB, but I don't think it has to or will be a 1st rounder.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Not sure we really need a 1st round CB though. Brock will start on one side and Cully will be back next year, so you've got two young corners as starters. Eric Wright seems to like it here and will likely not break the bank to re-sign. Carlos Rodgers isn't going to get a big payday from anyone, so he'd be a fool not to take a pay cut from his $6M base so he still might be around. Throw in Morris and you've got 5 veteran CBs right there.

Yes I think we'll draft a CB, but I don't think it has to or will be a 1st rounder.

IF we have a good return on our current CB's than i agree, much will be seen during the off season. If wright and rogers are both gone, than CB becomes a huge need.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

IF we have a good return on our current CB's than i agree, much will be seen during the off season. If wright and rogers are both gone, than CB becomes a huge need.

Even then, Baalke seems content to bargain shop for CBs and seems to feel like he can get good value in later rounds or even undrafted (Cully in the 3rd, Brock/Morris as UDFAs, Marcus Cooper who likely would've contributed in the 7th). Just my opinion, but if there isn't enough value there in the late 1st for a CB, I don't see him reaching for one.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone