There are 159 users in the forums

Target pick in 1st round?

Target pick in 1st round?

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Because of the depth at WR in this draft, I say CB. Besides, I think front office is going to cut Rogers because of salary. I have a feeling Brown will want too much money too so I think we'll let him walk, leaving us with Brock, and Culliver (just off injury) and Wright.

CB is the huge, huge need in this draft. Maybe safety also to a lessor extent. WR is the popular WZ want but IMO it will have to wait until the 2nd round or later. People forget we got Patton too who seems to be a gamer. Crabtree + Patton + VD is not that bad if Boldin leaves for more money (and Boldin probably will IMO).

I hope they don't let Boldin walk. I say pay him. IMO he has been the team MVP and has saved the 49ers passing attack. I'd even be OK with cutting a few vets and restructuring some deals for cap room. He's way to valuable.

Boldin is gone for sure plus Rogers plus our center who commands too high of a salary for that position. We need to get younger and clear some cap room. We got Kaep, Crabtree and Iupati to sign long term. Something has to give. We need a lot of cap room.

Boldin is gone "for sure"? Even after the season he is having? I get your point about clearing cap space, but the Niners could use one more productive year from Boldin if the price is right.

Where are they getting all this room to do these deals?

~ Kaep long term.

~ Crab long term.

~ Iupati long term.

You tell me?.........
The way Boldin is playing we need to get him back. Over Whitner. I would love to have them both back.. but Boldin>Whitner lets be honest.

With that being said I think in the 1st RD trade to the teens and make sure we get CB Dennard. We need a true #1 CB.

2nd round lets get Whitner's replacement in Baylor SS Ahmad Dixon or Washington State SS Deone Buccannon.

This year is deep for WR's. 3rd round lets get the eventual replacement to Boldin. Kap excels with possession receivers over speedsters (i.e. Crab/Boldin & K-Dub/Ginn). Lets get a big strong WR like BYU Cody Hoffman.

4th round we need competition for Joe Looney and Kilgore at C. I think Marcus Martin from USC would be a good option.

From there on out we pick BPA and build depth all around. It doesnt make sense to keep all of our picks when most of them will go wasted (i.e. Marcus Cooper)
  • cools
  • Veteran
Love Boldin, but i think we go younger and cheaper and sign WR D.Alexander, use the xtra cash for Kap, Crabs, Iupati. Trade back into the early 2nd and come away with WR Cooks, FS Reynolds and WR Adams all in the 2nd (yes im west coast biased) as far as CB goes... grab Mitchell from Oregon in the 3rd
[ Edited by cools on Jan 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM ]
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
The way Boldin is playing we need to get him back. Over Whitner. I would love to have them both back.. but Boldin>Whitner lets be honest.

With that being said I think in the 1st RD trade to the teens and make sure we get CB Dennard. We need a true #1 CB.

2nd round lets get Whitner's replacement in Baylor SS Ahmad Dixon or Washington State SS Deone Buccannon.

This year is deep for WR's. 3rd round lets get the eventual replacement to Boldin. Kap excels with possession receivers over speedsters (i.e. Crab/Boldin & K-Dub/Ginn). Lets get a big strong WR like BYU Cody Hoffman.

4th round we need competition for Joe Looney and Kilgore at C. I think Marcus Martin from USC would be a good option.

From there on out we pick BPA and build depth all around. It doesnt make sense to keep all of our picks when most of them will go wasted (i.e. Marcus Cooper)

We would have a massive hole without Whitner. A fatal flaw.
WR or best available safety. Whitner and Boldin aren't resigning for hometown discounts.
I'm for BPA. If we trade up for HA-HA DIX, great move. Means balkee doesn't think whitner can fit under salary cap with the deals we have to get done. Ditto for trading up or staying put for the best OG available (Yankey maybe), Iupati walks.
I just don't see the need as so great in any position that we should pass on a potential pro-bowler. We have lots of picks to improve depth.

I doubt we resign Boldin and Whitner. Out of the 2 Boldin has been more important to our success this year, imo. Whitner can be replaced. just like Goldson was.
Originally posted by Diaperfan:
WR or best available safety. Whitner and Boldin aren't resigning for hometown discounts.

With cuts/restructuring, annual increase and our rollover number, we should be around $20M under the cap next year so re-signing Boldin, Whitner and Dawson shouldn't be a problem (assuming they want to return. Any extensions to Kap, Aldon, Crabby, Iupati, etc., wouldn't hit our cap until 2015 and they'll all be structured in a way that spreads the hit over many years.

In other words, we should be able to bring back our key '14 free agents and still extend most (but likely not all) of young stars.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM ]
  • Veteran
I like a big fat athletic nose tackle. A run stuffer.
i REALLY think we are going to trade up for Watkins...

Can't really comment about this until you know how FA turns out, but given that Boldin and Whitner our still on the team, a mild trade up for Gilbert at CB would be ideal. Draft a WR in the 2nd and again in later rounds.

I doubt we resign Boldin and Whitner. Out of the 2 Boldin has been more important to our success this year, imo. Whitner can be replaced. just like Goldson was.

Don't count on every safety turning out as good as Eric Reid. That is rare for a rookie. Sometimes they bust too and fail to meet expectations.
Don't count on every safety turning out as good as Eric Reid. That is rare for a rookie. Sometimes they bust too and fail to meet expectations.

There are some good veteran SS in free agency this off season. Balke has proved he can get high production guys for very little money. That's another option.

Well sure, but it seems to be the strategy Baalke prefers over dropping huge money to resign vets.

Alot pplz probably thought that to after we let goldson walk ...Reid came in N made us all forget about him lol
Share 49ersWebzone