LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 214 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

Good size and produced 1900 yards in SEC in 2 years. All he needs is long arm measurement and this is a Baalke pick.
Im starting to like this guy despite his name
Originally posted by valrod33:

Moncrief? That's classic, American pro sports needs another top-notch Moncrief.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Good size and produced 1900 yards in SEC in 2 years. All he needs is long arm measurement and this is a Baalke pick.

Who would you rather pick:

Player A) last 3 years; 3578 yards, 20 TD's, 6'2 5/8th, 209 with insanely long arms (80 1/8th)

Or

Player B) last 3 years; 2371 yards, 20 TDs, 6'2, 226, and doubtful he has as long of arms as player A.

Player A is Jordan Matthews. And player B is Donte Moncrief. I do like Moncrief's potential, but the player you are talking about is Matthews.
Taken from his ESPN/Scouts Inc Profile.

Separation Skills-2-Initial burst is adequate and he gets to top gear quickly. A glider; DBs tend to underestimate his vertical speed. Consistently beats press-man. Effectively stems routes and keeps CBs guessing with subtle moves. Displays good burst off plant foot. Frequently separates from top-tier CB talent in SEC. Can take too long in transition on stop-start routes. Needs to be more consistent and precise with intermediate routes.

Ball Skills-2-Has big, strong hands. Good focus in traffic and body control to adjust to poorly thrown ball. Confident pass catcher. Does a very good job tracking the ball over his shoulder. Catches over-the-head ball consistently. Has quick hands and can pluck on the run. Had one concentration lapse along sideline vs. LSU but otherwise he has shown very good sideline awareness and body control. Also adept at dropping weight to keep feet in bounds.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Player A) last 3 years; 3578 yards, 20 TD's, 6'2 5/8th, 209 with insanely long arms (80 1/8th)

Or

Player B) last 3 years; 2371 yards, 20 TDs, 6'2, 226, and doubtful he has as long of arms as player A.

Player A is Jordan Matthews. And player B is Donte Moncrief. I do like Moncrief's potential, but the player you are talking about is Matthews.

Matthews was the A, B and C target at Vanderbilt, Moncrief, especially this season, has been surrounded by some other big pass catchers. Vanderbilt had 2 guys with at least 200 yards receiving, Ole Miss had 6 this season. Not really a fair comparison to make. Moncrief has gotten less targets than Matthews, but has still been just as successful in terms of scoring TD's.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Moncrief? That's classic, American pro sports needs another top-notch Moncrief.

MonQueef. LOL.
MonQueef. LOL.

What are you, 5?

Or

Matthews was the A, B and C target at Vanderbilt, Moncrief, especially this season, has been surrounded by some other big pass catchers. Vanderbilt had 2 guys with at least 200 yards receiving, Ole Miss had 6 this season. Not really a fair comparison to make. Moncrief has gotten less targets than Matthews, but has still been just as successful in terms of scoring TD's.
Prior to this season, Matthews had Chris Boyd on the opposite side of him. So for 2 years, Matthews had a kid who has NFL potential stealing just as many targets. And Ole Miss threw 100 more passes this year than Vandy and I believe 60 more last year. Moncrief has had Bo Wallace throwing him passes these last 2 years, where Matthews has had bad QB player (Jordan Rodgers was garbage, and they rotated between 2 guys this year). So what did Matthews do when he didn't have another NFL WR opposite him and teams knew he was the target, he stepped his game up more than the year before.

Edit: Moncrief was targeted 112 times and had 59 catches 52.7% catch rate, Matthews was targeted 157 for 112 with a 71.3% catch rate.

Again I like Moncrief, but it's not even close to how he stacks up against Matthews.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Feb 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM ]

Or

Lets get both! I made a comparison to his measurables in another thread, he has an Aldon wingspan, longer than Patterson and Allen's of last year. With more pressing needs at SS, CB, and C assuming Boldin re-signs, might have to use the higher draft picks solidifying the secondary.

Lets get both! I made a comparison to his measurables in another thread, he has an Aldon wingspan, longer than Patterson and Allen's of last year. With more pressing needs at SS, CB, and C assuming Boldin re-signs, might have to use the higher draft picks solidifying the secondary.

I honestly wouldn't mind getting both. I think secondary needs alot of help (depending on FA), and would guess a CB would be our 1st round pick. But Baalke isn't predictable when it comes to the draft and could see him taking a CB later than we think cause he seems to have a knack for finding good CBs late. So Matthews in the 1st and Moncrief in the 3rd-4th round would be fine by me.
Prior to this season, Matthews had Chris Boyd on the opposite side of him. So for 2 years, Matthews had a kid who has NFL potential stealing just as many targets. And Ole Miss threw 100 more passes this year than Vandy and I believe 60 more last year. Moncrief has had Bo Wallace throwing him passes these last 2 years, where Matthews has had bad QB player (Jordan Rodgers was garbage, and they rotated between 2 guys this year). So what did Matthews do when he didn't have another NFL WR opposite him and teams knew he was the target, he stepped his game up more than the year before.

Not even comparable. Boyd was the lone other target last year, Ole Miss spread the ball around far more which is why you didn't see any single individuals with off the charts numbers.

Edit: Moncrief was targeted 112 times and had 59 catches 52.7% catch rate, Matthews was targeted 157 for 112 with a 71.3% catch rate. Again I like Moncrief, but it's not even close to how he stacks up against Matthews.

Pretty irrelevant until you look at the numbers behind the numbers. Matthews caught almost 50% of his passes on screens, so is his catch rate going to be higher? Hell yes. He almost doubled the average of the other receivers he was compared with. On passes that weren't screens, he averaged about 4.7 yards per catch, or less than average.

He's a classic possession receiver and was used as such in the Vandy offense, so yes, a lot of catches, a lot of yardage but I don't see what he adds to this offense that Crabtree, Boldin or Patton can't do.

For a guy who caught nearly 50% of his passes on screens, Jordan Matthews had a pretty lousy drop rate.

"Again I like Moncrief, but it's not even close to how he stacks up against Matthews."

It's a lot closer than you might think. Matthews as the main target on a screen happy offense was impressive, Moncrief was a much better performer making catches deep downfield. Athletically he's also got the edge over Matthews I'd wager, better football speed, better downfield threat.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM ]
What are you, 5?
I am 3 years old, problem with that?

Stupid question about the statistics:
the yards mark the spot where he caught the ball?
Originally posted by communist:
Stupid question about the statistics:
the yards mark the spot where he caught the ball?

Yes. You can look at Landry, Beckham and Robinson and see why they all were pretty good on 3rd down, Landry in particular, he made that intermediate part of the field his b***h.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone