LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yes. You can look at Landry, Beckham and Robinson and see why they all were pretty good on 3rd down, Landry in particular, he made that intermediate part of the field his b***h.
Almost exactly the same thought I wanted to mention.

catching between 6 and 10 sounds like he is proven to catch a ball in traffic, assuming that he sometimes "slanted" through the middle. perfect candidate for any WCO, imo.
[ Edited by communist on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Prior to this season, Matthews had Chris Boyd on the opposite side of him. So for 2 years, Matthews had a kid who has NFL potential stealing just as many targets. And Ole Miss threw 100 more passes this year than Vandy and I believe 60 more last year. Moncrief has had Bo Wallace throwing him passes these last 2 years, where Matthews has had bad QB player (Jordan Rodgers was garbage, and they rotated between 2 guys this year). So what did Matthews do when he didn't have another NFL WR opposite him and teams knew he was the target, he stepped his game up more than the year before.

Not even comparable. Boyd was the lone other target last year, Ole Miss spread the ball around far more which is why you didn't see any single individuals with off the charts numbers.

Edit: Moncrief was targeted 112 times and had 59 catches 52.7% catch rate, Matthews was targeted 157 for 112 with a 71.3% catch rate. Again I like Moncrief, but it's not even close to how he stacks up against Matthews.

Pretty irrelevant until you look at the numbers behind the numbers. Matthews caught almost 50% of his passes on screens, so is his catch rate going to be higher? Hell yes. He almost doubled the average of the other receivers he was compared with. On passes that weren't screens, he averaged about 4.7 yards per catch, or less than average.

He's a classic possession receiver and was used as such in the Vandy offense, so yes, a lot of catches, a lot of yardage but I don't see what he adds to this offense that Crabtree, Boldin or Patton can't do.

For a guy who caught nearly 50% of his passes on screens, Jordan Matthews had a pretty lousy drop rate.

"Again I like Moncrief, but it's not even close to how he stacks up against Matthews."

It's a lot closer than you might think. Matthews as the main target on a screen happy offense was impressive, Moncrief was a much better performer making catches deep downfield. Athletically he's also got the edge over Matthews I'd wager, better football speed, better downfield threat.

Not even comparable. Boyd was the lone other target last year, Ole Miss spread the ball around far more which is why you didn't see any single individuals with off the charts numbers.

Edit: Moncrief was targeted 112 times and had 59 catches 52.7% catch rate, Matthews was targeted 157 for 112 with a 71.3% catch rate. Again I like Moncrief, but it's not even close to how he stacks up against Matthews.

Pretty irrelevant until you look at the numbers behind the numbers. Matthews caught almost 50% of his passes on screens, so is his catch rate going to be higher? Hell yes. He almost doubled the average of the other receivers he was compared with. On passes that weren't screens, he averaged about 4.7 yards per catch, or less than average.

He's a classic possession receiver and was used as such in the Vandy offense, so yes, a lot of catches, a lot of yardage but I don't see what he adds to this offense that Crabtree, Boldin or Patton can't do.

For a guy who caught nearly 50% of his passes on screens, Jordan Matthews had a pretty lousy drop rate.

"Again I like Moncrief, but it's not even close to how he stacks up against Matthews."

It's a lot closer than you might think. Matthews as the main target on a screen happy offense was impressive, Moncrief was a much better performer making catches deep downfield. Athletically he's also got the edge over Matthews I'd wager, better football speed, better downfield threat.

I agree Moncrief is the better prospect. He's faster and more smooth. He might be the 2nd best WR in the entire draft behind Watkins imo. He really reminds me of a faster bigger Fitzgerald. I have seen Moncrief make our very own safety Eric Reid & LSU secondary look silly. If we draft him, I guarantee we won't miss Boldin. He'll be a true #1 WR within a couple years
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM ]
J.Lo.Landry, FTW
Im all in for Moncrief, especially if he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder as they claim he will be, I highly doubt he will. I don't know why people project him to be that late, he's probably my top 5 receiver in this draft.
I'd love to get either Moncrief or Landry. Getting both is my hope though.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM ]
I'm really liking this guy more and more. I truly hope he becomes a 49er. Him and brandin cooks would be awesome
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
I'd love to get either Moncrief or Landry. Getting both is my hope though.

I would pee my pants with excitement if we got both.
The more I see this guy, the more I love.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I would pee my pants with excitement if we got both.

TMI bro, TMI.

With Moncrief, the two things I look at especially are his ability to get separation and his tremendous hands. He has a wide array of moves he uses well to get open, for a bigger receiver he's also pretty nimble. As far as his hands go, he does a great job in securing catches before looking upfield, he catches mostly away from his body and is a tough, physical runner after the catch.

He's also got enough speed to be a vertical threat downfield. He's an all around nice prospect that needs to improver as a route runner but I'd be very happy to see him as a 49er.
Scouting Inc report on Moncrief.

Height/Weight/Speed-2-Prototypical height for NFL wide receiver. Good functional football speed.

Durability-1-Big, sturdy frame. Has started all 25 games during first two seasons. In 2013, had a minor shoulder ailment that caused him to miss practice time.

Intangibles-2-Thrown into fire as a fulltime starter during true freshman season and was up to task. No off the field issues to our knowledge. Son of Spencer and Nineta Moncrief. Cousin of former Rebel receiver Shay Hodge.

Separation Skills-2-Initial burst is adequate and he gets to top gear quickly. A glider; DBs tend to underestimate his vertical speed. Consistently beats press-man. Effectively stems routes and keeps CBs guessing with subtle moves. Displays good burst off plant foot. Frequently separates from top-tier CB talent in SEC. Can take too long in transition on stop-start routes. Needs to be more consistent and precise with intermediate routes.

Ball Skills-2-Has big, strong hands. Good focus in traffic and body control to adjust to poorly thrown ball. Confident pass catcher. Does a very good job tracking the ball over his shoulder. Catches over-the-head ball consistently. Has quick hands and can pluck on the run. Had one concentration lapse along sideline vs. LSU but otherwise he has shown very good sideline awareness and body control. Also adept at dropping weight to keep feet in bounds.

Big play ability-2-Deceptive speed. Does not take long to reach top-speed but lacks second-gear to track down overthrown deep ball. A natural at locating and adjusting to ball over shoulder. Explosive lower body. Appears on tape to have good leaping ability. Bigger vertical threat than run-after catch weapon. Runs hard and will break some tackles. Can exploit a crease but does not show open-field wiggle to consistently make defenders miss.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Prior to this season, Matthews had Chris Boyd on the opposite side of him. So for 2 years, Matthews had a kid who has NFL potential stealing just as many targets. And Ole Miss threw 100 more passes this year than Vandy and I believe 60 more last year. Moncrief has had Bo Wallace throwing him passes these last 2 years, where Matthews has had bad QB player (Jordan Rodgers was garbage, and they rotated between 2 guys this year). So what did Matthews do when he didn't have another NFL WR opposite him and teams knew he was the target, he stepped his game up more than the year before.

It's not really. You can't use these numbers against Matthews without knowing DMs. And when you really think about it, close to 50% of his targets where screens, yet he averaged over 13 yards per catch. And of the non screens 45% of the targets where corner routes. Matthews YAC was at 7.8 per catch. Once you remove the screens, it drops to 4.7 YAC. Which means Matthews averages over 10 yards after catch per screen. I think that pretty much explains all the screen passes lol. Matthews also rarely gets caught from behind if you watch his videos. Dude was just so dominant an on such a bad team lol
This is the guy I am eyeing since I first saw some of his film. He looks like he can play and be durable and productive! He lacks nothing that would inhibit us from drafting him!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
This is the guy I am eyeing since I first saw some of his film. He looks like he can play and be durable and productive! He lacks nothing that would inhibit us from drafting him!

Hands...
Dude catches everything in his body
He also doesn't adjust well to the ball
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Hands...

Oh well, I guess I will look at him more closely then. I obviously missed that important tidbit of information. Not much of a WR without hands at this level because DBs will play you close and you have to be able to extend and catch those balls placed where only you can get to them
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Hands...

LOL....wut?

Moncrief certainly isn't on the same level as a guy like Landry or Grant when it comes to getting passes outside to his body, but your statements on every level were just ridiculous.
Share 49ersWebzone