There are 161 users in the forums

Darqueze Dennard-CB-Michigan State

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I said he looked lost out on the football field at times.

This looks pretty lost to me:

C'mon VP a couple video clips don't make up a career, all CB's make mistakes, the thing is not to consistently make them. There's a reason people like Mike Mayock have Dennard either their Top CB or Top 3 CB, the tape don't lie!!!
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
That look's like cover 3 or quarters. need to see the play.

Here's a screen shot of where Dennard was when the receiver caught the ball (bottom left). I don't know how he's supposed to help the play way over there:

[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't think that has any thing to do with having short arms, that looks more like a bad angle. Getting back to coverage though......

Long arms help a lot when tackling in the open field. Ask Aldon Smith. When they have momentum & you're coming from a long way away, sometimes all you can do is catch the guy's leg or foot with one hand.

Tell me this guy doesn't miss tackles?? How about the many times Roby was taken outta the play??
Here's a screen shot of where Dennard was when the receiver caught the ball (bottom left). I don't know how he's supposed to help the play way over there:

from the screen shot it looks like theyre playing cover 3 underneath zone so dennard did his job. the flat curl is the will linebackers responsibilties. hard to tell just from screen shots unless its a all22 screen shot.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM ]
C'mon VP a couple video clips don't make up a career, all CB's make mistakes, the thing is not to consistently make them. There's a reason people like Mike Mayock have Dennard either their Top CB or Top 3 CB, the tape don't lie!!!

The tape does lie. That's my point! He's never covering anyone better than a decent college-lever receiver, so he looks like a shut-down guy. He's constantly holding, he's not agile, he doesn't hit hard, and as you can see from that last play he makes a big circle when trying to change direction.

Lots of DBs picked in the first round have been busts. I think Dennard is going to be one of them (or at the very least a very disappointing pick).

Tell me this guy doesn't miss tackles?? How about the many times Roby was taken outta the play??

Odd choice of video to post for Roby. he made every single open-field tackle in that video. The only plays where he didn't make the tackle were when someone blocked him.

Something else interesting to notice: Roby, who had a great game that day, wasn't just covering an average big-10 receiver, he wasn't just covering a guy who had a chance to make it to the NFL... he was covering a guy who put up 1000 yards in the NFL as a rookie. Kennen Allen.
I meant, most real analysts. I don't consider WalterFootball or Bleacher Report to be credible at all.

ESPN Scouts Inc has Dennard as their #1 CB, Mayock has Dennard as his #1 CB, McShay has Dennard as his #1 CB, CBS has him as their #2 CB......I'm not seeing where analyst's are ranking him 5th like the other poster stated.

Had you clicked on the link you would have seen that it was a mock draft database that includes the NFL.com analyts, the CBS analysts and a lot of pros.

You said "draft sites" so you made it more open, but let's just limit it to pros.

Professional analyst:#1 CB

ESPN:
Mel Kiper:Gilbert

CBS:
Pete Prisco:Fuller
Rob Rang:Gilbert
Dane Brugler:Joyner (he must be insane)
Will Brinson:Gilbert
Pat Kirwan:Gilbert

NFL.com
Charles Davis:Gilbert
Bucky Brooks:Gilbert
Mike Huguenin:Gilbert
Daniel Jeremiah:Gilbert
Chase Goodbread:Gilbert
Matt Smith:Gilbert
Bryan Fischer:Gilbert

That's just the first ones I found ... but certainly Dennard is not the consensus #1 CB.
I'm down with Dennard, he's my preferred corner of this years draft. He might my preferred player of this entire draft as I really think a shutdown corner is the only thing that separates us from Seattle.
So what's the overall consensus with respect to the best CBs in this year's draft?

We know Baalke prefers solid tackling and aggressive corners...
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
So what's the overall consensus with respect to the best CBs in this year's draft?

We know Baalke prefers solid tackling and aggressive corners...

I've seen several players listed as #1, but Gilbert the most.

Originally posted by Scoots:
Had you clicked on the link you would have seen that it was a mock draft database that includes the NFL.com analyts, the CBS analysts and a lot of pros.

You said "draft sites" so you made it more open, but let's just limit it to pros.

Professional analyst:#1 CB

ESPN:
Mel Kiper:Gilbert

CBS:
Pete Prisco:Fuller
Rob Rang:Gilbert
Dane Brugler:Joyner (he must be insane)
Will Brinson:Gilbert
Pat Kirwan:Gilbert

NFL.com
Charles Davis:Gilbert
Bucky Brooks:Gilbert
Mike Huguenin:Gilbert
Daniel Jeremiah:Gilbert
Chase Goodbread:Gilbert
Matt Smith:Gilbert
Bryan Fischer:Gilbert

That's just the first ones I found ... but certainly Dennard is not the consensus #1 CB.

He's not ranked 5th by anyone either, like was claimed by the person I was responding to. I think people on this site obsess far too much over measurables and Combine #'s, there's not enough attention given to a guy's in-game performances, judging by that standard, Dennard was dominant throughout the season and has consistently been improving throughout his time at Michigan State.

Gilbert received a lot of hype for his Combine performance but I've never looked at him as anything more than a late 1st rounder at best. Super athletic, talented, versatile but not nearly as good as the hype would indicate IMO. I'd still rank him behind Dennard, Verrett and Fuller in terms of pure coverage skills.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I'm down with Dennard, he's my preferred corner of this years draft. He might my preferred player of this entire draft as I really think a shutdown corner is the only thing that separates us from Seattle.

I think if the 49ers do indeed plan on playing more press coverage this season, Dennard is the best guy for that role. There are bigger CB's out there, but none more skilled or more physical than Dennard.
Dennard would look fantastic in Scarlet and Gold. I hope he drops down far enough where the Niners can trade up to get him without mortgaging the future.
This looks pretty lost to me:

Not as much as this.

He's not ranked 5th by anyone either, like was claimed by the person I was responding to. I think people on this site obsess far too much over measurables and Combine #'s, there's not enough attention given to a guy's in-game performances, judging by that standard, Dennard was dominant throughout the season and has consistently been improving throughout his time at Michigan State.

Gilbert received a lot of hype for his Combine performance but I've never looked at him as anything more than a late 1st rounder at best. Super athletic, talented, versatile but not nearly as good as the hype would indicate IMO. I'd still rank him behind Dennard, Verrett and Fuller in terms of pure coverage skills.

I agree that Gilbert is over-rated because of his combine performance and Dennard was downgraded because of his. I don't particularly want either player :)

I was just responding to Dennard being the consensus #1 CB ... which he isn't.

I have Dennard 3rd on my rankings ... so I don't hate him certainly.
Share 49ersWebzone