There are 224 users in the forums

Darqueze Dennard-CB-Michigan State

Hes still young and talented..honestly I think DB and TE are the hardest positions going into the pros..it takes time..the best CBs weren't great right away..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Hes still young and talented..honestly I think DB and TE are the hardest positions going into the pros..it takes time..the best CBs weren't great right away..

TE??? Really?

QB is obviously the hardest, and CB usually takes a while. But I'd put OT, OG, C& DT ahead of TE in terms of how hard it is to adjust to the NFL.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

TE??? Really?

QB is obviously the hardest, and CB usually takes a while. But I'd put OT, OG, C& DT ahead of TE in terms of how hard it is to adjust to the NFL.

Going to agree with that. TE isn't as easy of a transition as RB and Safety though.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

TE??? Really?

Going to agree with that. TE isn't as easy of a transition as RB and Safety though.

I'll disagree with that. TE's have to know blocking schemes as well as everything that WR's need to know especially if they line up outside at times (like in New England).

One reason people think TE is an easier transition than offensive linemen or DT's is that young TE's are recognized more quickly by the average fan. Linemen can come in and be great players early, but you typically won't hear about them until they've proven themselves for years unless they're extraordinary. You hear about young TE's for the same reason you hear about other skill players - they're the ones gaining yards, making highlight plays, and being followed in fantasy football. OG is one of the biggest plug and play positions in my opinion - it's probably the easiest position to play on the offensive line because you aren't responsible for as much pre-snap as C's and you don't face the same athletes that OT's face.

Middle linebacker has a pretty steep learning curve as well if they're organizing the defense. The best ones are pretty good at determining what the offense is doing pre-snap. Sherman is also really good at this in Seattle. Running back is probably the easiest followed by WR's, pass rushers (3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE), OG's, and DT's.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/09/middle-linebackers-have-become-nfls-defensive-qbs/15345521/

Edit: Punters and kickers have almost no learning curve, but I don't really consider them football players.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Sep 28, 2016 at 7:16 PM ]
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

TE??? Really?

I'll disagree with that. TE's have to know blocking schemes as well as everything that WR's need to know especially if they line up outside at times (like in New England).

One reason people think TE is an easier transition than offensive linemen or DT's is that young TE's are recognized more quickly by the average fan. Linemen can come in and be great players early, but you typically won't hear about them until they've proven themselves for years unless they're extraordinary. You hear about young TE's for the same reason you hear about other skill players - they're the ones gaining yards, making highlight plays, and being followed in fantasy football. OG is one of the biggest plug and play positions in my opinion - it's probably the easiest position to play on the offensive line because you aren't responsible for as much pre-snap as C's and you don't face the same athletes that OT's face.

Middle linebacker has a pretty steep learning curve as well if they're organizing the defense. The best ones are pretty good at determining what the offense is doing pre-snap. Sherman is also really good at this in Seattle. Running back is probably the easiest followed by WR's, pass rushers (3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE), OG's, and DT's.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/09/middle-linebackers-have-become-nfls-defensive-qbs/15345521/

Edit: Punters and kickers have almost no learning curve, but I don't really consider them football players.

I could buy that if you're looking at it purely from a mental standpoint. I was looking at it in terms of how long it usually takes for someone to become good. Good TEs usually don't take a ton of time to make a big impact, whereas OL & DT usually take a couple of seasons to really come into their own because they're simply not as strong as guys who have been doing it for a few years.

The positions where rookies & young players usually can be the best early on are the ones who rely on pure speed (RB, WR, OLB and DE to a lesser extent). CB is the exception because that doesn't really have to do with speed as much as it does developing a quick reaction time.
Punters are people too!

I think TEs take time as well...you can even look back at the position when these guys were drafted and how long it took them to become NFL quality TEs...learning blocking schemes takes time (most coming out of college are glorified WRs).
Some pros are still glorified WRs. Lookin right at Jimmy Graham
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Originally posted by Scoots:
Had you clicked on the link you would have seen that it was a mock draft database that includes the NFL.com analyts, the CBS analysts and a lot of pros.

You said "draft sites" so you made it more open, but let's just limit it to pros.

Professional analyst:#1 CB

ESPN:
Mel Kiper:Gilbert

CBS:
Pete Prisco:Fuller
Rob Rang:Gilbert
Dane Brugler:Joyner (he must be insane)
Will Brinson:Gilbert
Pat Kirwan:Gilbert

NFL.com
Charles Davis:Gilbert
Bucky Brooks:Gilbert
Mike Huguenin:Gilbert
Daniel Jeremiah:Gilbert
Chase Goodbread:Gilbert
Matt Smith:Gilbert
Bryan Fischer:Gilbert

That's just the first ones I found ... but certainly Dennard is not the consensus #1 CB.

Not expecting much, but you never know. Amazing how fast time flies.
Why you gotta bring up old s**t tho?

TE??? Really?

Meh teams sign basketball players who never played football to play TE. Tebow and Logan Thomas moved to tight end too

I think the hardest would be OL. I mean you are going up against grown men 1-1 when you're 22 ish. That's crazy
Outside of qb, it's definitely corner. Backpedaling is foreign to other sports like baseball and basketball, at least full speed backpedaling. Then you gotta learn man 2 man technique, zone reads, nuances of all coverages, offenses, etc. And the biggest, you have to cover a world class athlete while:1. He knows what he's going to do and you don't 2. You have to do it moving backwards.
All positions are hard to learn but TE, edge, and DT are the easiest to find a freak/outlier athlete at and let them work
Share 49ersWebzone