There are 190 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by outside4949:
The front office is in love with lee

N u know this how ???

anonymous source, of course
Originally posted by buck:
I thought it might be interesting to look at the combine results and the college production of some of the more talked about wide receivers.

Here are production figures from the last two years for these same receivers.

Kelvin Benjamin played in 27 games, more than any other player on this list. Herron only played in 20 and Janis in 23.
The chart below projects the numbers that the others would have had playing in 27 games.

This chart multiplies yards per game, receptions per game, and touchdowns per game by 27.

Numbers for Benjamin do not change. I rounded the numbers up or down to the nearest 1. (10.3 would be 10 for example).

This chart confirms my draft crush on Matthews especially since he did it in the SEC with little offensive help. I want him in a Niner uniform. Jeff Janis has my attention though
[ Edited by birdie2bogey on Mar 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
This chart confirms my draft crush on Matthews especially since he did it in the SEC with little offensive help. I want him in a Niner uniform. Jeff Janis has my attention though

On the second chart the number of receptions for Moncrief is wrong. I put projects.

I should have put 125. In the last two years, Moncrief had 125 receptions.
Sharing and Carrying the Load

Some of the receivers in this draft shared the receiving load with others in this draft class.
Others basically carried the receiving load for their teams.

The combined number in charts below is called the Production Grade or Production Ratio.

Generally speaking a combined score of 0.60 is considered excellent.

But, the degree that the load is shared must be considered.

Okay. I'm sold. Draft Matthews and Janis, then let the Quest for 6,7,8,9,10... continue.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Here a video vs Alabama

He barely looks draftable in that clip.

Some of his routes looked lazy, but he also made some nice catches. Definitely wouldn't say he barely looks draftable from that video.

A lot of his routes were lazy. He had a few drops that weren't difficult catches. Going against top competition should motivate him, but he looked uninterested.

He was a good college WR, but the Combine has really inflated people's opinion of him. I purposely paid little attention to the Combine so that it wouldn't sway my feelings towards players. The 40-times should mean very little, but it's something that's too heavily considered and a prime reason teams often get burnt, including us with the AJ pick. Same with Jason Hill a few years back.

A player like Jarvis Landry is going to fall because he's not fast enough, yet he catches everything thrown his way and can be relied upon. I'll take him all day. Paul Richardson is too small on paper, but he's a fast, smooth athlete with good hands. Allen Robinson is another guy that'll be in range of Moncrief at the draft. I like all those others over Moncrief. Abbrederis is another I would trust over this guy.

I don't like the idea of drafting a WR because of his speed. Three WRs that'll go fairly early that scare me are: Beckham, Moncrief, and Adams. From where they're all projected, it seems about a round early for them all.

Just my opinion though... I do think the Moncrief love is unwarranted and a little out of control. That's all.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Here a video vs Alabama

He barely looks draftable in that clip.

Some of his routes looked lazy, but he also made some nice catches. Definitely wouldn't say he barely looks draftable from that video.

A lot of his routes were lazy. He had a few drops that weren't difficult catches. Going against top competition should motivate him, but he looked uninterested.

He was a good college WR, but the Combine has really inflated people's opinion of him. I purposely paid little attention to the Combine so that it wouldn't sway my feelings towards players. The 40-times should mean very little, but it's something that's too heavily considered and a prime reason teams often get burnt, including us with the AJ pick. Same with Jason Hill a few years back.

A player like Jarvis Landry is going to fall because he's not fast enough, yet he catches everything thrown his way and can be relied upon. I'll take him all day. Paul Richardson is too small on paper, but he's a fast, smooth athlete with good hands. Allen Robinson is another guy that'll be in range of Moncrief at the draft. I like all those others over Moncrief. Abbrederis is another I would trust over this guy.

I don't like the idea of drafting a WR because of his speed. Three WRs that'll go fairly early that scare me are: Beckham, Moncrief, and Adams. From where they're all projected, it seems about a round early for them all.

Just my opinion though... I do think the Moncrief love is unwarranted and a little out of control. That's all.

I'm trying to stay out of the back and forth on Moncrief. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. No one is going to be right 100% of the time, but I personally trust my own opinion because I know my personal track record with grading players -- receivers in particular.

All the players you mentioned -- you can go back and point to games where they played teams far inferior to Alabama -- and got shut down. Abbrederis got shut out against Indiana, shut down against South Carolina in their bowl game (only 30 receiving yards, 0 TDs). This does not make them bad players or better/worse. You have to look at the whole picture. A so-so game against a team gives the coaches a clear view of what to address with a player. All rookies will need growth. Some more than others, and that's one of the things separating the top of the class from the rest. The other part is physical limitations - some things you just can't coach.

There are a handful of receivers I'd be happy with, and I'm just looking forward to seeing who we get.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm trying to stay out of the back and forth on Moncrief. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. No one is going to be right 100% of the time, but I personally trust my own opinion because I know my personal track record with grading players -- receivers in particular.

All the players you mentioned -- you can go back and point to games where they played teams far inferior to Alabama -- and got shut down. Abbrederis got shut out against Indiana, shut down against South Carolina in their bowl game (only 30 receiving yards, 0 TDs). This does not make them bad players or better/worse. You have to look at the whole picture. A so-so game against a team gives the coaches a clear view of what to address with a player. All rookies will need growth. Some more than others, and that's one of the things separating the top of the class from the rest. The other part is physical limitations - some things you just can't coach.

There are a handful of receivers I'd be happy with, and I'm just looking forward to seeing who we get.

Who are they OTC?

Allen Robinson-Minnesota

Paul Richardson-Arizona State

Every receiver ends up having a bad game, but all of the guys you mentioned had worse games against far lesser defenses.
Originally posted by sfout:
Star wide receiver for Boston College gives up chance at playing in the NFL to become a Navy SEAL

A record-breaking wide receiver for Boston College is giving up a chance at playing in the NFL to become a U.S. Navy SEAL.

Alex Amidon, a 22-year-old senior from Greenfield, Massachusetts, smashed the school's records for the most receiving yards and was ranked 11th in the country for most receiving yards in 2012.

The college paper, the BC Interruption, noted that his announcement at a football dinner on Wednesday night came as 'a shock'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2570193/Star-wide-receiver-Boston-College-gives-chance-playing-NFL-Navy-SEAL.html

I applaud this decision, if it is what the man wants then he is doing something very great. On a funny note, I really like the BC Interruption as a newspaper name, sounds like a good name for a band too

His family has no background in the military, he has no background in the military, and he just "decides" he wants to be a Navy Seal.

Good luck.

You can "decide" to be a Navy Seal, just as much as you can "decide" to be an NFL starting WR.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
His family has no background in the military, he has no background in the military, and he just "decides" he wants to be a Navy Seal.

Good luck.

You can "decide" to be a Navy Seal, just as much as you can "decide" to be an NFL starting WR.

If the guy is a star wide receiver, he is probably already a physical specimen, with a strong work habit, so the will help him quite a bit in his goal.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Allen Robinson-Minnesota

Every receiver ends up having a bad game, but all of the guys you mentioned had worse games against far lesser defenses.

Mississippi state, Idaho, Troy?
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Good luck.

Similar story w/Tilman, and he was kind of a stud in 2nd Bat, FWIW. He had his brother go through with him though, which probably makes things easier. Course, he died, so that kinda spoils things.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Allen Robinson-Minnesota

Mississippi state, Idaho, Troy?
Come on man. Look at the whole picture. Versus Idaho, the starting QB only completed 15 (I'm assuming Moncrief didn't play deep into a blowout win). And they ran the ball 45 times. Think they stuck to the ground and didn't need to air it out. Versus Troy the QB completed only 17 passes (again assuming he didn't play deep into a blowout) and they ran it, this time, 61 times. Again didn't seem like they were trying to air it out. Versus Miss State, in a game played in the low 30s and both teams were having trouble throwing the ball, Ole Miss QB threw 3 INTs and threw for a whole 182 the entire game. Sure seems like the QB and westher was at fault that game. And since you consider Miss St so bad, hope you knew their Pass Defense was #25 in yards per game (211.0 per) and we're actually #8 in their last 3 games (133.0 per).

I'm not making excuses for Moncrief, just making a point that stats can be misread and interpreted anyway you want if you don't know the entire context of the what happened in the game.

Edit:and just to prove a point, his teammate, the SEC Freshman of the Year and #1 rated WR coming out of HS, did play versus Troy. But versus Idaho had a big 2 catches for 15 yards and versus Miss St. had 9 grabs for only 57. And he's still considered the top WR prospect for his class in the NFL's eyes.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Mar 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Bryant flashes 'big upside' in film session

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl says Clemson WR Martavis Bryant "flashed big upside on tape."

Bryant is an athletic freak who, at 6-foot-5 and 200 pounds, ran unofficial forty times of 4.34 and 4.35 seconds at the combine (and posted a 39-inch vertical and a 10-yard split of 1.53 seconds). "He is a bit straight line and can have trouble dropping his weight and separating from underneath coverage. However, in Bryant’s defense, he was not a great fit within offensive coordinator Chad Morris' scheme at Clemson which relied heavily on quick hitting underneath throws," wrote Weidl. The analyst believes Bryant will be a nice value selection on Day 2.

"Bryant has the talent to become a strong No. 2 with a few years of development," he wrote. Weidl sees some of the late Chris Henry in Bryant.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/30314/bryant-flashes-big-upside-in-film-session
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by outside4949:
The front office is in love with lee

N u know this how ???

anonymous source, of course

Florios source
Share 49ersWebzone