LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Thanks Pat!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Butter:
The Niners home page shows 11 WR on their roster.

Crabtree
Boldin
Patton
Osgood
Manningham
Baldwin
Chuck Jacobs
Brandon Carswell
David Reed
Devon Wylie
Demarco Sampson

How many WR will they carry on their roster? How many can they draft?

Im wondering if they could draft 3 rookie WR?

Crabtree
Boldin
Patton
Osgood
Cooks or Beckham (1st)
Moncrief (2nd)
Janis (5th)

Too much, or infusion of talent from a deep WR pool?

In no way do I see them drafting 3 WR's. I could see 2, but not 3. Of that first list, half of those guys won't end up on the roster. The only ones I see as locks are Crabtree, Boldin and Patton. Even Baldwin could get cut after restructuring. Of the ones that are left, Jacobs probably has the best shot to make the roster.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I

Crabtree
Boldin
Patton
Osgood
Manningham
Baldwin
Chuck Jacobs
Brandon Carswell
David Reed
Devon Wylie
Demarco Sampson

Crabtree
Boldin
Patton
Osgood
Cooks or Beckham (1st)
Moncrief (2nd)
Janis (5th)

In no way do I see them drafting 3 WR's. I could see 2, but not 3. Of that first list, half of those guys won't end up on the roster. The only ones I see as locks are Crabtree, Boldin and Patton. Even Baldwin could get cut after restructuring. Of the ones that are left, Jacobs probably has the best shot to make the roster.

If both Moncrief & Janis were special team starters we could draft 3 WRs. Draft em and let em compete with Osgood, while they learn the craft from Crabs & Boldin. I'm all in for drafting 3 WRs, with one or two or all three seeing special team duty......
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thanks Pat!

No problem
Okay, I may have missed it, but what is the arm length of these guys
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Okay, I may have missed it, but what is the arm length of these guys

1 Evans, Mike 35 1/8
2 Benjamin, Kelvin 34 7/8
3 Coleman, Brandon 34
4 Lucas, Marcus 33 5/8
5 Street, Devin 33 3/8
6 Washington, L'Damian 33 3/8
7 Hoffman, Cody 33 1/4
8 Matthews, Jordan 33 1/4
9 Snead, Willie 33
10 Beckham, Odell 32 3/4
11 Davis, Mike 32 3/4
12 Adams, Davante 32 5/8
13 Boyd, Chris 32 5/8
14 Bryant, Martavis 32 5/8
15 Enunwa, Quincy 32 5/8
16 Latimer, Cody 32 5/8
17 Richardson, Paul 32 5/8
18 Janis, Jeff 32 1/2
19 Moncrief, Donte 32 3/8
20 Norwood, Kevin 32 1/8
21 Evans, Shaq 32
22 Fowler, Bennie 32
23 Hurns, Allen 32
24 Robinson, Allan 32
25 Watkins, Sammy 32
26 Brown, Corey 31 3/4
27 Lee, Marqise 31 3/4
28 Powell, Walt 31 5/8
29 Reese, Tevin 31 5/8
30 Abbrederis, Jared 31 3/8
31 Copeland, Damian 31 3/8
32 Hazel, Matt 31 3/8
33 Franklin, Austin 31 1/4
34 Huff, Josh 31 1/4
35 Landry, Jarvis 31 1/4
36 Colter, Kain 31
37 Ellington, Bruce 31
38 Grant, Ryan 31
39 Cooks, Brandin 30 3/4
40 Jones, T.J. 30 5/8
41 Brown, John 30 1/2
42 Herron, Robert 30 1/2
43 Wilson, Albert 30 3/8
44 Burse, Isaiah 30 1/4
45 Campanaro, Michael 30
46 Saunders, Jalen 30
47 Stewart, Josh 30
48 Gallon, Jeremy 29 1/2

Crabtree
Boldin
Patton
Osgood
Manningham
Baldwin
Chuck Jacobs
Brandon Carswell
David Reed
Devon Wylie
Demarco Sampson

Crabtree
Boldin
Patton
Osgood
Cooks or Beckham (1st)
Moncrief (2nd)
Janis (5th)

I don't think drafting 3 receivers is excessive IF one of them can replace Osgood on special teams and bring more as a receiver. If they cannot, then there is no reason, unless it's someone that is going to be redshirted, and no one fits that description (injured) to the best of my knowledge. The other reason would be if the team thinks they won't be able to retain Crabtree. It would be great if they at least began negotiating with him to at least gauge what his demands are.

In terms of receivers, I am hoping for one from each list.

A B

Jordan Matthews (1st/2nd) Odell Beckham (1st)
Jarvis Landry (2nd) Robert Herron (3rd)
Donte Moncrief (2nd) Dri Archer- A RB, but I think we can play him at receiver (3rd-5th)
Jeff Janis (5th)

I also am not big on trading LaMichael James, however, if we can net a 4th round pick for him, I think Dri Archer would be a great replacement and we can still realistically draft two others receivers.

We would have a replacement for Boldin in list A (I haven't ruled out Patton replacing Boldin either) and a true deep threat from list B. If we can hit on those two picks and still snag Archer, we will be set at that position.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I thought it might be interesting to look at the combine results and the college production of some of the more talked about wide receivers.

Here are production figures from the last two years for these same receivers.

Kelvin Benjamin played in 27 games, more than any other player on this list. Herron only played in 20 and Janis in 23.
The chart below projects the numbers that the others would have had playing in 27 games.

This chart multiplies yards per game, receptions per game, and touchdowns per game by 27.

Numbers for Benjamin do not change. I rounded the numbers up or down to the nearest 1. (10.3 would be 10 for example).

[ Edited by buck on Mar 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM ]
I'm hearing rumblings that Kelvin Benjamin will be picked in the 10 to 20 range.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I'm hearing rumblings that Kelvin Benjamin will be picked in the 10 to 20 range.

Do you that such a high projection is justified by his numbers at the combine?
Originally posted by buck:
Do you that such a high projection is justified by his numbers at the combine?

Benjamin definitely had good enough workout numbers to eliminate any worries about him not being nimble enough to play WR in the NFL. Especially considering he's the size of a small tight end. So I'd say 20 or maybe a little before is reasonable.

He's going to be really tough to cover within the first 5 yards. He can get a lot of boxing-the-guy-out-like-a-power-forward catches. Especially with almost 35' arms.

All that said, I still like Donte Moncrief better for the Niners' offense. They need someone to keep the safety deeper.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Mar 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
Star wide receiver for Boston College gives up chance at playing in the NFL to become a Navy SEAL

A record-breaking wide receiver for Boston College is giving up a chance at playing in the NFL to become a U.S. Navy SEAL.

Alex Amidon, a 22-year-old senior from Greenfield, Massachusetts, smashed the school's records for the most receiving yards and was ranked 11th in the country for most receiving yards in 2012.

The college paper, the BC Interruption, noted that his announcement at a football dinner on Wednesday night came as 'a shock'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2570193/Star-wide-receiver-Boston-College-gives-chance-playing-NFL-Navy-SEAL.html
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Star wide receiver for Boston College gives up chance at playing in the NFL to become a Navy SEAL

A record-breaking wide receiver for Boston College is giving up a chance at playing in the NFL to become a U.S. Navy SEAL.

Alex Amidon, a 22-year-old senior from Greenfield, Massachusetts, smashed the school's records for the most receiving yards and was ranked 11th in the country for most receiving yards in 2012.

The college paper, the BC Interruption, noted that his announcement at a football dinner on Wednesday night came as 'a shock'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2570193/Star-wide-receiver-Boston-College-gives-chance-playing-NFL-Navy-SEAL.html

I applaud this decision, if it is what the man wants then he is doing something very great. On a funny note, I really like the BC Interruption as a newspaper name, sounds like a good name for a band too
  • buck
  • Veteran
Sharing and Carrying the Load

Some of the receivers in this draft shared the receiving load with others in this draft class.
Others basically carried the receiving load for their teams.

The combined number in charts below is called the Production Grade or Production Ratio.

Generally speaking a combined score of 0.60 is considered excellent.

But, the degree that the load is shared must be considered.
The front office is in love with lee
Originally posted by outside4949:
The front office is in love with lee

N u know this how ???
Share 49ersWebzone