LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
A+

Anytime you can come away from your draft with 2 Pro Bowl players and one solid starter is an A+ in my book. Lets not forget Kyle Williams is not that bad of a receiver either.

I think you mean 3 pro-bowlers (Bowman).

When you nail 3 pro-bowl players in the first 4 picks, and you have 2 key special teamers with 2 out of the last 4, you have to give that an A+. Not to mention, Adams has turned out to be a very solid player/top punt returner for the Raiders, so even that 7th round pick was a good one, just not for us though.

I'd say A, just because of how badly the Taylor Mays pick turned out. But definitely a very strong draft.

I just looked at the 2010 draft results, there weren't a lot of names that really jumped out at me that were available in the 2nd:

Carlos Dunlap

Fair enough, and an A grade is stellar, I'm just saying that an A+ would have meant that Mays would have worked out, at least worth more than a future 7th rounder just after 2 seasons.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Grade: A-

Two All-Pros in Iupati and Bowman, players who valid arguments could be made are the best at their positions.

Davis has some flaws in pass protection, but he's a great run blocker and has a nasty streak, very good player, a Pro-Bowl/All-Pro talent.

Dixon solid contributor on ST and spot RB duty, although I think he's a bubble player in TC this year.

Still not crazy about Williams, but he might stick around to return punts by default.

Adams was good ST player, but then got hurt/cut...Byham was supposed to be a great blocker, but gone after 2011.

Mays was a big miss but at least they recognized it and limited the damage by getting rid of him after just 1 season.

Byham would still be on our team if he didn't suffer the ACL injury in 2011 and was slow to recover last offseason.
A+

Anytime you can come away from your draft with 2 Pro Bowl players and one solid starter is an A+ in my book. Lets not forget Kyle Williams is not that bad of a receiver either.

When you nail 3 pro-bowl players in the first 4 picks, and you have 2 key special teamers with 2 out of the last 4, you have to give that an A+. Not to mention, Adams has turned out to be a very solid player/top punt returner for the Raiders, so even that 7th round pick was a good one, just not for us though.

I'd say A, just because of how badly the Taylor Mays pick turned out. But definitely a very strong draft.

Given that Mays was more of a Singletary pick than a Baalke pick, I'm willing to give that one a pass.
A+

Given that Mays was more of a Singletary pick than a Baalke pick, I'm willing to give that one a pass.

Completely agree. You can't win 'em all. And it has been well documented that Mays was a Singletary pick. But we're just grading the draft class in whole.
B-
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Like they say, give it 3 years and then you can really grade a draft

1. Anthony Davis
1. Mike Iupati
2. Taylor Mays
3. Navorro Bowman
6. Anthony Dixon
6. Nate Byham
6. Kyle Williams
7. Phillip Adams

I'd definitely say this was a solid draft. Shored up our Oline, got another great ILB and depth at RB & WR.

Sad thing is that 2 of those players that are no longer with the team went on to have very productive starts to their careers (Byham and Adams). This draft would be an A+ if not for Mays. But having him in rd. 2 (and early in the rd. for that matter) has to knock it down to an A-/B+. The Bowman pick is just soooo good, and 2nd rd. picks bust all the time.
B+

Taylor Mays brought the grade down.
I swear some of you are delusional. If you don't put an A+ on that draft then you just went full potato.

A 2nd rd pick who just happens to be your 3rd pick brings the entire draft down a letter grade? Even though you netted 3 pro bowlers? A team is lucky if they can get 3 starters from a single draft but yet we got 3 pro-bowlers plus the guy who you guys are complaining about is still in the league and starting last year.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I swear some of you are delusional. If you don't put an A+ on that draft then you just went full potato.

A 2nd rd pick who just happens to be your 3rd pick brings the entire draft down a letter grade? Even though you netted 3 pro bowlers? A team is lucky if they can get 3 starters from a single draft but yet we got 3 pro-bowlers plus the guy who you guys are complaining about is still in the league and starting last year.

Full potato. Now that's a new one. Lol.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by jreff22:
B-

3 pro-bowlers including 2 all-pros and 2 solid contributors? Tough crowd.

drafting that high we would turn any OL into a probowler by this point....remove Iupati and put Pouncey in his place and we still look good. Bowman gets the credit because of where he was drafted.

The Mays pick which almost every west coast homer wanted, set us back....a big reason why we were drafting FS this year

B-

drafting that high we would turn any OL into a probowler by this point....remove Iupati and put Pouncey in his place and we still look good. Bowman gets the credit because of where he was drafted.

The Mays pick which almost every west coast homer wanted, set us back....a big reason why we were drafting FS this year

Set us back how? We had pro-bowlers at both safety positions the last few years, went to 2 NFC title games and 1 Super Bowl. If you think selecting anyone else but Mays in the 2nd would've made THAT much more of a difference, you're not very realistic. And regarding the o-lineman, we won't even dive into that discussion especially knowing how many 1st round tackles/guards end up as busts every year. To nail 2 of them is not common, nor is having both 1st round picks end up as pro-bowlers regardless of position.

Bottom line, you seem to be heavily discounting the positives, and putting an unbalanced importance on the one negative.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM ]
B-

Set us back how? We had pro-bowlers at both safety positions the last few years, went to 2 NFC title games and 1 Super Bowl. If you think selecting anyone else but Mays in the 2nd would've made THAT much more of a difference, you're not very realistic.

And regarding the o-lineman, we won't even dive into that discussion especially knowing how many 1st round tackles/guards end up as busts every year. To nail 2 of them is not common, nor is having both 1st round picks end up as pro-bowlers regardless of position.
Aside from Reid who else do we have at Safety that is long term and worth a damn? Trading that pick for instance for a 2nd the following year could have gotten us some great players that were available...Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb, Justin Houston
I dont care that Mays was a bust. 3 PRO Bowlers = an A grade no matter how you look at it.
I would give it an A- instead of an A+ because of the May's pick. It would be one thing if he was a solid backup, but he couldn't even manage to do that. Mays was a colossal miss of epic proportions. Also giving up a 4th round pick to move up two slots was questionable.

But coming out with Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, and Bowman go a long way to making up for those issues.
B-

Set us back how? We had pro-bowlers at both safety positions the last few years, went to 2 NFC title games and 1 Super Bowl. If you think selecting anyone else but Mays in the 2nd would've made THAT much more of a difference, you're not very realistic.

And regarding the o-lineman, we won't even dive into that discussion especially knowing how many 1st round tackles/guards end up as busts every year. To nail 2 of them is not common, nor is having both 1st round picks end up as pro-bowlers regardless of position.
Aside from Reid who else do we have at Safety that is long term and worth a damn? Trading that pick for instance for a 2nd the following year could have gotten us some great players that were available...Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb, Justin Houston

Teams miss on picks all the time, even almost every great draft there were guys who didn't make it. To get two all-pros (possibly 3 with Anthony Davis as arguably the best RT in the game) in one draft is spectacular. Sure we missed on Mays, but that doesn't downgrade an A draft to a B-. That's crazy talk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NFL_Draft

the first round was loaded with probowlers.....strong draft class. we could have traded the 2nd to move up in the 1st, taken Trent Williams and still drafted Iupati or even Pouncey and still most likely have 2 probowlers. Pretty much every 1st round OL that year has made the probowl.
Share 49ersWebzone