LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

I give it an A. Mays was a bust, but who cares. Davis, Iupati, and Bowman are all-pros. That more than makes up for it. Any additional contributions from the other picks is gravy. We got 3 elite players in one draft!
i guess if we could have gotten earl thomas and anothony davis then traded our second to move up and get pouncey it would have been an A++ but that draft is now the heart and soul of a SB contending team. without it we woulndt be able to do the things we do as a team. those three players now define niner toughness.. solid A
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Obviously the point of grading an entire class doesn't sink in with you. You can cherry pick every draft, find one good/great player and say, "see its a great draft and always an A." Unless this thread was made for rhetorical reasons so everybody can say we are the best every and every draft is an A, some intellectual analysis is in order.

The WHOLE draft matters from top to bottom. If we are going to evaluate it, it must be looked at in its entirety.

Its like saying the 09 draft was great because of Crabs and RJF....never-mind the 5 failures. Or the 08 draft was great because of Morgan and Grant but we need to not worry about Balmer and Chilo.

No, it's not like saying that. Because most drafts are going to yield a couple of solid players. Crabs is a very good receiver, and RJF has been a career backup. Josh Morgan has been a #3 level receiver and grant has a been a solid ST & backup ILB. That is not at all like a draft that yielded one of the best RT's in the game, one of the best G's in the game, one of the best ILB's in the game, and about 3 other role players. What a terrible comparison.

1/4 of all the RT's in the league are "the best in the game"...and you can a few more that are not name brand guys who are worth their weight in gold to their team. You can do the same for OG's as well. Yes they are great players but so are a lot of other guys at the position.

Comparisons never work for you because you look for an exact carbon copy of everything, its never possible. You can not look at an entire class objectivly because you have favorties.

YOU GRADE THE CLASS AS A WHOLE.

Do you say an A in a class should make you forget about a D you got in another becaues you like the class you got an A in more...? I hope not. Every pick is judged across the board. Playing favorites with some and saying the rest dont matter, is frankly a dumb way to look at the draft. Assign letter grades to each, run the numbers and what you get is what you get.
Originally posted by natrone06:
That's exactly how the draft works!!! I'm shocked on how unaware you are about draft classes. You aren't going to hit on every pick. I challenge you to find three better draft classes from 2010. Seattle and New England are the only ones close.

I'm not unaware of anything. You never hit on every pick its impossible. But every team hits on players at least once in the draft....should every team get an A in your opinion? Every fan is going to give their team an A because they look at the situation subjectively. Case in point, every person in here giving the team an A, and most likely would do the same with the 2011 and 2012 and 2013 and 2014 etc etc draft class.What I dont get is that any person who does not give the team an automatic A is hassled by everybody. Am I not allowed to have an opinion? If this was a thread made to just say A+++++ over and over again it was be pointless.

I ask you all to grade every pick, run the numbers, and post what you come up with. So far I seem to be the only person capable of doing this.
Originally posted by Disp:
The point is those 3 players are so good that the rest of the draft doesn't matter. The players who don't make the team are completely irrelevant, and all that matters is how much better the draft makes us. In 2011 we could have just drafted Kaepernick, and right now it would be a great draft because of his value to the team. He's not an "A", he's a "AAA". Saying we had a worse draft just because some players didn't pan out is stupid when the net impact of the players who DID pan out is so dramatic.

Obviously the point of grading an entire class doesn't sink in with you. You can cherry pick every draft, find one good/great player and say, "see its a great draft and always an A." Unless this thread was made for rhetorical reasons so everybody can say we are the best every and every draft is an A, some intellectual analysis is in order.

The WHOLE draft matters from top to bottom. If we are going to evaluate it, it must be looked at in its entirety.

Its like saying the 09 draft was great because of Crabs and RJF....never-mind the 5 failures. Or the 08 draft was great because of Morgan and Grant but we need to not worry about Balmer and Chilo.

That's exactly how the draft works!!! I'm shocked on how unaware you are about draft classes. You aren't going to hit on every pick. I challenge you to find three better draft classes from 2010. Seattle and New England are the only ones close.
I'm not unaware of anything. You never hit on every pick its impossible. But every team hits on players at least once in the draft....should every team get an A in your opinion? Every fan is going to give their team an A because they look at the situation subjectively. Case in point, every person in here giving the team an A, and most likely would do the same with the 2011 and 2012 and 2013 and 2014 etc etc draft class.

What I dont get is that any person who does not give the team an automatic A is hassled by everybody. Am I not allowed to have an opinion? If this was a thread made to just say A+++++ over and over again it was be pointless.

I ask you all to grade every pick, run the numbers, and post what you come up with. So far I seem to be the only person capable of doing this.
1. Anthony Davis--A
1. Mike Iupati--A+
2. Taylor Mays--D
3. Navorro Bowman--A+
6. Anthony Dixon--B
6. Nate Byham--B-...................Still playing, in TB
6. Kyle Williams--B..................PR and WR, still a valued player
7. Phillip Adams--C+................Still playing, Oak

I don't knock a pick just because they were cut. All these guys are still playing in the NFL...five with the niners, so there was value there.

Bowman and Iupati are among the best at their positions...rare to have two guys from the same draft being this successful. If Davis keeps progressing they could have three top tier pro-bowlers from this group. Two sixth rounder still contributing to the team? Gravy.

Overall Grade: "A" Just can't imagine a better draft as for as production goes...but it's possible, so not an A+
Just went through all the 2010 drafts. Only one that is probably better was New England's with Gronkowski, Hernandez, McCourty, Spikes and Mesko - including role playing DL like Cunningham and Deaderick. Seattle's was also good with Okung, Thomas and Chancellor, and Tate.

But when you put together one of the top 3 draft classes in the league, it's easily an A and really isn't debatable. You're not going to hit on every pick.
[ Edited by Schulzy on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM ]
The point is those 3 players are so good that the rest of the draft doesn't matter. The players who don't make the team are completely irrelevant, and all that matters is how much better the draft makes us. In 2011 we could have just drafted Kaepernick, and right now it would be a great draft because of his value to the team. He's not an "A", he's a "AAA". Saying we had a worse draft just because some players didn't pan out is stupid when the net impact of the players who DID pan out is so dramatic.

I'm not unaware of anything. You never hit on every pick its impossible. But every team hits on players at least once in the draft....should every team get an A in your opinion? Every fan is going to give their team an A because they look at the situation subjectively. Case in point, every person in here giving the team an A, and most likely would do the same with the 2011 and 2012 and 2013 and 2014 etc etc draft class.

What I dont get is that any person who does not give the team an automatic A is hassled by everybody. Am I not allowed to have an opinion? If this was a thread made to just say A+++++ over and over again it was be pointless.

What really matters isn't the grade you give, but how that grade compares to the grades of the other 31 teams. OK, give the 9ers a B if you wish, but if no one else has higher than C using your criteria, the 9ers still win. I would say the 9ers had one of the top 3-4 drafts that year, and for that reason, without much grade inflation, that get an A or even an A+ comparatively.

Nope can't hide behind the " we're all homers" card. By all objective measures this was a very good draft class. You are viewing this class as a singular thing without the context of the rest of the league. The only way you can grade a draft class meaningfully is on a curve. That's fine b- it is. I hope all 49ers drafts are graded as a b- from here on out.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM ]
A+. This draft does compare to the 2007 draft. For anyone who gives this draft a lower grade, SMH

Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

What really matters isn't the grade you give, but how that grade compares to the grades of the other 31 teams. OK, give the 9ers a B if you wish, but if no one else has higher than C using your criteria, the 9ers still win. I would say the 9ers had one of the top 3-4 drafts that year, and for that reason, without much grade inflation, that get an A or even an A+ comparatively.

That is a perfectly logical approach. The mathematics of doing this isn't hard, I dont get why people cant figure this out. If you come out with a 3.06 and its the highest grade than you did the best. Saying you got an A doesn't explain how you got to an A. Running through every pick, grading every pick, and coming up with a cumulative number is a logical way to answer this question. If this was done chances are we never see an A given out, only B+ and B would receive the highest mark because an A is borderline impossible. Could a B be the best in a land of C's.....very possible.
So according to your logic can and A draft be attainable? If so, show me.
Nope can't hide behind the " we're all homers" card. By all objective measures this was a very good draft class. You are viewing this class as a singular thing without the context of the rest of the league. The only way you can grade a draft class meaningfully is on a curve. That's fine b- it is. I hope all 49ers drafts are graded as a b- from here on out.

As aforementioned, a B- could be the best or top 5 in the league in a given year. A B- isn't bad if the avg for the whole league was a C for instance. Giving a numerical value and a letter grade is not unreasonable to grading an entire class.

An additional example. If we hit on 3 players in year X and it receives a grade of A...but the next year we hit on 4 players and give it an A, it white washes the difference. Saying in one year we score a 3.04 and the next year its a 3.27.....we can clearly see the better of the two drafts.
Originally posted by miked1978:
So according to your logic can and A draft be attainable? If so, show me.

No, its impossible. You would have to take the highest grade for the league and curve it to make an A.
No, its impossible. You would have to take the highest grade for the league and curve it to make an A.

Thats what i thought. So the grading system is unfair.

This is why we cant have nice things.
Share 49ersWebzone