LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

49ers Draft Grades

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by VA49er:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Lowell Cohn gave us a C+...lol. He says the reason it is so low is because we didn't draft a DB... . Later in the article he goes on to say that yeah we improved the pass rush but it won't matter because receivers will be running wide open anyway. Can't stand that guy!

We didn't draft a DB???? Who did we take in Round 1?

A safety?

yes?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Lowell Cohn gave us a C+...lol. He says the reason it is so low is because we didn't draft a DB... . Later in the article he goes on to say that yeah we improved the pass rush but it won't matter because receivers will be running wide open anyway. Can't stand that guy!
Yeah, kept referencing how awful the secondary was last year. Uh, no. They were not great in the playoffs, but they had one of the better secondaries for most of the year.

Exactly. Dominant pass rush can make average corners great.
It's known that Cohn is the beat guy who always takes a shot at the team and goes for the negative. He reaches and gives us a C because we didn't draft a CB? Who cares...send more than 3 guys after the QB and our pass coverage will look a lot better. I think if you have a guy you like, who fills an obvious need like Reid does, go get him.
Cohn is an idiot. Enough said.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Anyone have access to ESPN Insider? Kiper has his grades up on the website now.

Go to espn NFC wet blog with sando. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest
Yeah, kept referencing how awful the secondary was last year. Uh, no. They were not great in the playoffs, but they had one of the better secondaries for most of the year.

lol Lowell Cohn isn't a coach, G.M. or player, he's not even good at writting so I take no stock in his grade. We are stack at cb we already have 4 guys who can start, this would be like drafting A.J again and just sitting him but at cb. We have no Fs that could. We have no depth along the Dline. We don't have a backup tightend. We need a wr cause of injuries and age, we needed another linebacker because of injuires, So I say A+ we filled the holes we had before we started filling the holes we will have next season.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Apr 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

lol Lowell Cohn isn't a coach, G.M. or player, he's not even good at writting so I take no stock in his grade. We are stack at cb we already have 4 guys who can start, this would be like drafting A.J again and just sitting him but at cb. We have no Fs that could. We have no depth along the Dline. We don't have a backup tightend. We need a wr cause of injuries and age, we needed another linebacker because of injuires, So I say A+ we filled the holes we had before we started filling the holes we will have next season.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I like Reid, Tank,Lemonier,Patton,Lattimore,Mcdonald,DIAL IDK too much about him but I loved Jesse Williams and this guy was his sidekick so he must be good.

IDK too much about Moody??

I give the 49ers an A-. I just wish they got a swing tackle??

Bykowski played RT in 2011 and LT in 2012. I think that makes him a decent candidate for swing tackle.
Bykowski was a very solid grab. Someone posted we drafted him because it'll help with the Polish demo??
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Who is going to cover Harvin?

Reid will deal with Harvin.

It'll be a Chris Tucker you got knocked the f**k out moment. Then we won't see Harvin for the rest of the season.

Originally posted by smithc28:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Who is going to cover Harvin?

Reid will deal with Harvin.

It'll be a Chris Tucker you got knocked the f**k out moment. Then we won't see Harvin for the rest of the season.

Nnamdi should win the starting job at corner, which makes Culliver the nickel over Rogers (IMO).
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. Well, I "am" a 9er fan. So....

On a serious note, love the breakdown. So a B+ plus Boldin, McCoy and a 3rd next year and 10 picks already that's gotta = an A right? Plus when you factor in some additional "project" players that were obviously, hand-picked by our own position coaches (e.g. Roman wanted McDonald and Tomsula got ALL of his guys including Okoye, etc.) it's got to be a solid A.

I filed the Reid pick under the category of "B/c we could..." category. The FO got THE FS/SS they wanted for our system. Period. Now, if the other S's you mention turn out great or Reid flops, yeah, I hear you. But let's be real, we have a lot of house money to play with and virtually, we didn't give up much for him to ensure we got our man (and the other interested teams didn't). Hell, we couldn't GIVE picks away. I imagine Baalke tried to give later picks away and he still ended up with 11. LOL.

Can't fault your reasoning. You're a tough one to out maneuver.

There's usually someone who I have concerns about who really truns out to be great. For example, I never thought that Vernon Davis would amount to anything when the Niners first got him and he turned out OK. So one reason that I'm being negative is that I'm secretly hoping Reid's also a stud and proves me completely wrong. He's got the measurables, for sure.

Still wish that the Niners had somehow managed to get a few more CBs. Harbaugh said that they had a few targetted, but they got snatched before the Niners came up to pick (I presume). If so, they needed to maneuver better.

Cohn gets a lot of flak on the 'zone and he is a bit of a Negative Nellie, but he is not dumb as people pass him off to be and he does offer an alternate perspective. I've agreed with him respecting the whole CB thing. Although I'm not going to put the doom and gloom spin on it that he does. The Niners will need to address it next year!
There are two sides to the cornerback issue:

1) We need to upgrade the CB position; We need a lockdown corner

2) We need to upgrade the pass rush to take the pressure off the corners

I'm of the opinion that we need to upgrade the pass rush, or at least send more pass rushers and creative with blitz packages. Losing Justin Smith hurt a ton, but we've forgotten we have monster pass rush threats in Bowman and Willis, and leave it up to Justin, Aldon and Ray McDonald (not really a pass rush threat). Hopefully Tank brings some pop, getting JSmith healthy should help, Dorsey's an upgrade on paper. But putting pressure on the QB takes the onus off the backfield.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
Bykowski was a very solid grab. Someone posted we drafted him because it'll help with the Polish demo??

That was my bad attempt at humor.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Cohn is an idiot. Enough said.

I certainly don't think he is an idiot. Much like guys such as Glenn Dickey (formerly of the Chronicle) and now Skip Bayless, he writes provocative stuff (mainly using exaggeration) to draw attention to himself and attract a larger readership. In other words, he is writing that to get a rise out of guys like you. Mission accomplished apparently. Once you know that, you take what he writes with a few grains of salt and move on.

I've got no issue with either of the Cohns (father or son). Grant has some great information at times, particularly during training camp, and Lowell, well, he reminds me of those crotchety older guys that just like to complain...yet they are somehow pretty cool at the same time.
Share 49ersWebzone