LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

49ers Draft Grades

A+
Moody might be a high character guy who fits somewhere in their devious minds...LOL! Who knows? Maybe his uncle coached with Jack Harbaugh so they gave him a shot.

Overall, I think when a draft is graded it should account for number of extra picks, particularly in the first four rounds...players who have a good chance to catch on even with a good team. I discount the later rounds because they are really not much better than UDFAs.

I would have taken a much different group but that's why I'm not a general manager. Still wonder what went on with J Williams! Did read an article that said Dial may have more upside than Williams...but then, you can read almost anything leading up to the draft.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM ]
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
A+ great players drafted, Boldin, McCoy and a 3rd round pick in 2014!

Exactly! All these picks PLUS Boldin, McCoy and a 3rd rounder for 2014 is beyond epic IMHO! I'd give it an A.

Actual Picks:
1 (18) Eric Reid (6'2" 212 4.49 40, 40.5" VL 29 WS), FS, LSU
2 (40) Cornellius Carradine (6'4" 276), RDE, Florida State
2 (55) Vance McDonald (6'5" 267), TE, Rice
3 (88) Corey Lemonier (6'4" 255), OLB, Auburn
4 (128) Quinton Patton (6'0" 204), WR, Louisiana Tech
4 (131) Marcus Lattimore (6'0" 232), RB, South Carolina
5 (157) Quinton Dial (6'6" 318), LDE Alabama
6 (180) Nick Moody (6'1" 236), ILB Florida State
7 (237) B.J. Daniels (6'0" 217), QB South Florida
7 (246) Carter Bykowski (6'7" 306), OT Iowa State
7 (252) Marcus Cooper (6'2" 192), CB Rutgers

UDFA Signings:
DE Lawrence Okoye (6'6" 300+), Oxford
DE Michael Percell (6'3" 305), Wyoming
OT Luke Marquardt (6'8" 315), Asuza-Pacific
QB/WR/TE MarQuies Gray (6'4" 240), Minnesota
OG Patrick Omameh (6'4" 306), Michigan
LS Kevin McDermott (6'5" 238), UCLA
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Moody might be a high character guy who fits somewhere in their devious minds...LOL! Who knows? Maybe his uncle coached with Jack Harbaugh so they gave him a shot.

Overall, I think when a draft is graded it should account for number of extra picks, particularly in the first four rounds...players who have a good chance to catch on even with a good team. I discount the later rounds because they are really not much better than UDFAs.

I would have taken a much different group but that's why I'm not a general manager. Still wonder what went on with J Williams! Did read an article that said Dial may have more upside than Williams...but then, you can read almost anything leading up to the draft.

Heard that JWfell due to medical concerns (knee), FWIW.

also, FWIW, I really DO think we had a good draft. I just like our rds 1-4 picks FAR better than the rest. The rest just felt to me like Baalke and Co. left after the 4th to go celebrate and left some knucklehead behind to throw darts at the remaining draft board.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I give it a FA

Means F (fill in the missing letters) Awesome!
Niner's draft widely being reported as one of the best ... hard to argue with that!

CBS Sports Draft Scout summed up their grade with this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22153086/2013-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-rookie-gms-do-well
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Niner's draft widely being reported as one of the best ... hard to argue with that!

CBS Sports Draft Scout summed up their grade with this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22153086/2013-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-rookie-gms-do-well

WHO IN THE f**k HAD A BETTER DRAFT?!?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Heard that JWfell due to medical concerns (knee), FWIW.

also, FWIW, I really DO think we had a good draft. I just like our rds 1-4 picks FAR better than the rest. The rest just felt to me like Baalke and Co. left after the 4th to go celebrate and left some knucklehead behind to throw darts at the remaining draft board.

LOL! Yes, the later picks seemed incongruous given the first five...make that seven! But there have been a number of years when they didn't have seven picks for the whole draft...97 with three picks and 95 with four! Both horrific drafts for the 9ers...Druckenmiller!? I'm really curious about Dial. Read some good things about him and wonder if he was underrated due to the other players on the team ahead of him.
The draft class boiling down to an A, C,or F is all on if Carradine and Lattimore make it back and play at a pro bowl level. If they both make it back to play at a pro bowl level it's an out of the park home run. its an easy A ++++ if they come back and are just average player its an C if they never make it back its probably an F. I hope Lemonier, Patton, and Dial all come in and blow us all away. play at a pro bowl level year 1 or 2. Then it will not matter what happen with Carradine and Lattimore.

Originally posted by NCommand:

Exactly! All these picks PLUS Boldin, McCoy and a 3rd rounder for 2014 is beyond epic IMHO! I'd give it an A.

Actual Picks:

UDFA Signings:

Even Jennings has competition
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

If your watching the ESPN show Mel Kiper has quite a few teams with a higher draft grade.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

If your watching the ESPN show Mel Kiper has quite a few teams with a higher draft grade.

Kiper is an IDIOT cant wait for Mayock
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Actual Picks:

UDFA Signings:

Even Jennings has competition

Yes he does and I remember reading a couple others have LS skills as well.
Baalke said that a GM's is on top of his game when he drafts players before there is a need. So how did he do?

Tank Carradine doesn''t have to start this year, he can rehab his knee and spell Justin Smith. When Smith retires Tank plus 15 lbs of muscle will take RDE.
Marcus Latimore doesn't have to start this year and can slowly and completely (fingers crossed) rehab his knee. Next year, Latimore will compete for playing time whether Gore retires or not.

Both of these players would have been first rounders it not for knee injuries. A

Because of all the deep passes that we gave up in the playoffs, I was hoping that we would draft a CB early in the draft. Baalke must have decided that the best way to reduce those deep balls was to get to the QB quicker. Our interior pass rush is improved by Glen Dorsey and Tank Carradine, who can platoon with Ray and Justin on our 4 man fronts on passing downs. Similarly, on passing downs Corey Lemonier can line up as a DE and spell our OLBs. If f*gio will allow it, we can rush fresh DLs all game long, like the Giants and the Lions do.

And with Kap having new targets with Bolden, McDonald, Jenkins, and Patton, combined with our strong running offense, we should score more points early, forcing teams into passing to keep up.

If we double our sack total rushing 4, than I give Baalke an A+ That means we are dropping 7 into coverage and hurrying the QB on 5 and 7 step drops.

Reid and McDonald fill two immediate holes and will be starters. If Reid doesn't bite on too many double moves, and we allow less intermediate and deep completions than we won't miss Goldsten. And because we have improved our pass rush, Reid and the rest of the secondary won't be exposed for as long.

McDonald is already an accomplished blocker in space, and has ran and blocked out of the pistol, so he fits our scheme well enough to start in our two TE sets. While not as agile as D-Love, McDonald's size means he will hit and finish runs with more power than D-Love. When you have the fastest TE in the league, you want the second TE to be a complimentary player, and McDonald's skill set is just that.

Given who was still on the board where we drafted, I give Baalke an A for filling those two holes through the draft.

As to the players drafted later than round 4 on one of the best rosters in the NFL, it will be a miracle if any of them stick. There best chance will be ST contributors. I won't grade Baalke on them, but I am intrigued by many of them.

Overall, improving our pass rush with 2 picks and the signing of Glen Dorsey, along with plugging Reid into FS and signing NA as a CB, makes us a much better D against the pass.

Adding Bolden and V McDonald strengthens our passing attack. Both are good blockers, so are runs off-tackle and outside should improve . And if Jenkins and/or Patton can be our third WR, than Baalke has also strengthened our receiving corp. Obviously, Baalke hasn't given up on Jenkins yet, or he would have drafted Hunter at 34. Jenkins will stretch the field in 2014.

As to giving up a third round pick to move up and get Reid, Baalke than got that third rounder back with the trade down to 40 that netted Tank. Baalke gets an A for preserving that third round pick in the 2014 draft.

If Latimore comes back from his knee injury in 2014, than Baalke has really done an outstanding job with this draft.
[ Edited by mebemused on Apr 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone