LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

49ers Draft Grades

Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

All I learned from this, is that there are two more people in the world, who are not idiots.

The guy on the left reminds me of the goatboy from SNL..

Alex Marvez looks like a conspiracy theorist
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
It seemed like a big need, but it's clear, we aren't gonna spend a high pick on a player that won't play as much, aka not paying Sopoaga 12M over 3 yrs.

Can't say I totally disagree but if we have a nose tackle on the field for 50% of our plays and we're relying on Dorsey and Williams I think that's a concern. I agree with the organization on pursuing pass rushers I just wish we found a way to nab that last nose tackle remaining.

I don't see us using our nose tackle even close to 50 percent of our defensive snaps. It's a passing league and you simply need your NB on the field more because of how much teams are using three WR formations.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
18: Eric Reid, S (31+74) ------------------------------------- B
40: Tank Carradine, DE (34 for 40+216+future 3) ----- A
55: Vance McDonald, TE (61+173 for 55) ---------------- C
88: Corey Lemonier, OLB (93+216) ---------------------- A
128: Quinton Patton, WR ----------------------------------- A
131: Marcus Lattimore, RB --------------------------------- A
157: Quinton Dial, DL --------------------------------------- D
180: Nick Moody, ILB/STer --------------------------------- D
237: BJ Danies, QB ------------------------------------------ F
246: Carter Bykowski, OT ---------------------------------- D
252: Marcus Cooper, CB ------------------------------------ C

Overall, we made a lot of quality picks early on... so while the slop picks after Lattimore disappoints? Meh... who cares? We loaded up with good picks where it counts.

Baalke is like some dude at a bar, early on he hits on totally hot chicks then by the end of the night its like what the f**k are you doing hitting on that?

Took fliers on guys unlikely to make the roster anyway.
Overall I think this was a pretty good draft for the San Francisco 49ers. While there is certainly a lot of talent coming in it is also important to note that two of them are coming off serious knee injuries that can't be discounted. It seems like the draftniks this weekend preferred to gloss over this fact and instead treat the picks as though the injuries don't exist. I like the Reid pick despite the fact they had to jump to get him; I prefer that they identified a system fit guy and went and got him as oppose to waiting for the best available safety. I'm not sold that MacDonald can just come in and replace Walker for this upcoming season but I like the potential and complement in style with Vernon Davis. Lemonier may develop into a good situational rusher but I'm not sold yet. The guy I'm really curious about is Patton because he is such a polished WR and seemingly the antithesis of what Jenkins is style wise so I'm hoping he can step in and contribute early on. I wonder still about the future at wideout because the team lacks the deep threat but has a lot of intermediate-route type of guys.

For now I'd say B but with the potential for it to be a lot higher if Carradine can step in mid-season and Lattimore can start the year following.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for NoOffseason.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
It seemed like a big need, but it's clear, we aren't gonna spend a high pick on a player that won't play as much, aka not paying Sopoaga 12M over 3 yrs.

Can't say I totally disagree but if we have a nose tackle on the field for 50% of our plays and we're relying on Dorsey and Williams I think that's a concern. I agree with the organization on pursuing pass rushers I just wish we found a way to nab that last nose tackle remaining.

I don't see us using our nose tackle even close to 50 percent of our defensive snaps. It's a passing league and you simply need your NB on the field more because of how much teams are using three WR formations.

If you look at the stats from last season, I would agree with your assessment. Matt Barrows has some statistics regarding defensive snap counts from the 2012 season (which you can see here) and Sopoaga, our starting NT played 362 snaps...from 1057 defensive snaps total for the season. Which would amount to about 34 percent of our defensive snaps. In contrast, Nickel Cornerback Culliver played 775 snaps, which would be about 73 percent of the defensive snaps. Those numbers definitely speak in your favor.
Anyone have access to ESPN Insider? Kiper has his grades up on the website now.
i got a boner over this draft. My gosh, the niners are loaded.
Kiper gave the 49ers a B+ for needs and a B for value.

Top needs: FS, TE, DL, CB, WR

Summary: Trent Baalke has done such a nice job of constructing this roster that drafting can be tricky, because the 49ers just don't have a glut of needs. That's why it's nice to have so many picks -- they are able to maneuver as needed to get the guys they want. They moved up to No. 18 overall to grab safety Eric Reid. He's a kid they really like, and I'd pencil him in as the starter, I just thought he wasn't as good as maybe five other safeties that went after him. But you have the picks, you get who you want. And if Reid plays like he did in 2011, not 2012, they got a player. Vance McDonald gives them needed depth at tight end with Delanie Walker gone, and Tank Carradine and Corey Lemonier were both good values. Quinton Patton has a chance to stick because he's a smart route-runner and finds ways to create separation. The 49ers also dealt to add picks into next year. I'd like this draft a little more if they got a safety I had rated higher, but they did well, just as you figured they would.
He mentioned that Seattle traded a 1st for Harvin, but not that the 49ers traded a 6'th for Boldin.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Overall, we made a lot of quality picks early on... so while the slop picks after Lattimore disappoints? Meh... who cares? We loaded up with good picks where it counts.

Baalke is like some dude at a bar, early on he hits on totally hot chicks then by the end of the night its like what the f**k are you doing hitting on that?

you cant give the Moody pick a D when he was picked solely for his ST play, that's just dumb.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
A+ great players drafted, Boldin, McCoy and a 3rd round pick in 2014!

Yep, when you throw in all that it's just too easy to give it A+.

Agree. Makes the draft even better. The late round guys were all developmental guys who could be put on PS. We only had so many openings on this team and are stacked with picks for next year already without the comp picks. Love how this Front Office is operating!

• KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

All I learned from this, is that there are two more people in the world, who are not idiots.

The guy on the left reminds me of the goatboy from SNL..

Alex Marvez looks like a conspiracy theorist

Yeah that took me by surprise, that was not at all what I thought he would look like listening to him on Sirius.
Originally posted by CasBanaszek:

Summary: Trent Baalke has done such a nice job of constructing this roster that drafting can be tricky, because the 49ers just don't have a glut of needs. That's why it's nice to have so many picks -- they are able to maneuver as needed to get the guys they want. They moved up to No. 18 overall to grab safety Eric Reid. He's a kid they really like, and I'd pencil him in as the starter, I just thought he wasn't as good as maybe five other safeties that went after him. But you have the picks, you get who you want. And if Reid plays like he did in 2011, not 2012, they got a player. Vance McDonald gives them needed depth at tight end with Delanie Walker gone, and Tank Carradine and Corey Lemonier were both good values. Quinton Patton has a chance to stick because he's a smart route-runner and finds ways to create separation. The 49ers also dealt to add picks into next year. I'd like this draft a little more if they got a safety I had rated higher, but they did well, just as you figured they would.
He mentioned that Seattle traded a 1st for Harvin, but not that the 49ers traded a 6'th for Boldin.

If he actually had 5 other safeties he thought were bettter than Reid, I have no idea why he would give us a B; C at best or D; maybe he trusts in Harbaugh/Balke more than himself
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Originally posted by CasBanaszek:

If he actually had 5 other safeties he thought were bettter than Reid, I have no idea why he would give us a B; C at best or D; maybe he trusts in Harbaugh/Balke more than himself

Baalke actually gets paid by an NFL team to make his picks. Mel Kiper does not. Baalke and Harbaugh's opinions are worth more than any talking head! If Kiper could truly evaluate talent he would be paid for his skills. You don't just draft any player, you pick ones for your system.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by WINiner:

you cant give the Moody pick a D when he was picked solely for his ST play, that's just dumb.

Much better value on the board at ILB that could also play strong STs. Moody was, IMHO, a reach. Again, not a big deal. SF has to do more scouting than I do, so I understand the arrogance in my words. Still, we all have our own values... and there were better ILBs available... says me and many other draft sources.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Apr 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
I have no problems with our draft, but there are some players that I have no familiarity with.

I have decided that attempting to give our draft a grade before the team has played makes no sense.

I understand that giving a draft grade is a game unto itself, and a fun game at that, but I am going to wait until the end of the 2013 season to give this drat a tentative grade.

But, I will follow the grading game as it develops. Go at it.
Share 49ersWebzone