There are 169 users in the forums

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

Fleener in the first round??? No thx. At TE we even dont have any FUTURE need for a starter.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Fleener in the first round??? No thx. At TE we even dont have any FUTURE need for a starter.

But we do have a need for #2...Walker is only in the NFL because he is an athlete. Not taking anything away from him but he is 6'0" 240 pounds, if he had been 2 inches shorter he would've been a strong safety or a fullback. Dude is a beast and can do almost anything so I love him, he's our utility guy, does anything and everything asked of him. Hell if both Willis and Bowman went down in the same game I bet Walker would become the back up LB, he's the same build as Bowman. But that is neither here nor there because he is a fairly solid TE.

But whoever mentioned New England is right, that is the offense that Harbaugh runs. 2 TE set with multiple looks, very little need for WRs, it's why we won 13 games with arguably the worst group of receivers in the league.

In the end it bit us in the ass because no one other then VD was able to do anything but I'd trade our 2011 offense for a group featuring a VD and Fleener or Dwayne Allen combo with a compliment of Crabtree, Morgan, Meachem, Draft choice(Stephen Hill, Brian Quick, Dwight Jones, Juron Criner), Ted Ginn, and Williams/Bogan/rookie.
I am actually starting to get on board with this guy. I wouldn't even be upset if they used their 1st rounder on him. He would create mismatches everywhere and could even shift out to WR if need be.
Originally posted by sfout:
But we do have a need for #2...

But whoever mentioned New England is right, that is the offense that Harbaugh runs. 2 TE set with multiple looks, very little need for WRs, it's why we won 13 games with arguably the worst group of receivers in the league.
It's not like we don't have any GLARING holes.

We won especially b/c 1)our defense was not only stout against the run but solid against the pass as well and 2)Alex had his great moments and didnt make poor decisions.

Plz don't start thinking that TEs are undefendable...Just bring more LBs or SS on the field and we will see what will happen.
It's not like we don't have any GLARING holes.

We won especially b/c 1)our defense was not only stout against the run but solid against the pass as well and 2)Alex had his great moments and didnt make poor decisions.

Plz don't start thinking that TEs are undefendable...Just bring more LBs or SS on the field and we will see what will happen.

Great, drop more LB's in coverage.....open up the run game more. A guy like Fleener helps to eliminate some of the heavy box defenses that Gore saw earlier in the season. On top of that, how many LB's are there who are actually good in coverage? Not many.

Yes they do. Walker is good, but not great. Fleener would be a weapon. If the objective is to improve on third down and in the red-zone, Fleener helps tremendously with that. Physically he's a huge(6'6" vs Walkers 6'0"), he runs great routes and has terrific hands. If you can't see how a guy like that on the field with VD can wreak havoc on a defense, then I don't know what to say.

Gronkowski was drafted in the 2nd round, you think looking back now, any NFL team would refuse to use a late 1st round pick for the guy?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Great, drop more LB's in coverage.....open up the run game more. A guy like Fleener helps to eliminate some of the heavy box defenses that Gore saw earlier in the season. On top of that, how many LB's are there who are actually good in coverage? Not many.
??? You can send more LBs to the field than usual, i.e. bench some DBs...

And if you cant handle the problem with LBs, take some Safeties.

Then open things up for the WR's because there will be less help available. Eitherway having a 6'6" wrecking ball going across the middle is only a good thing. I don't see a single WR available where the 49ers are drafting that could make as big of an impact as a second TE like Fleener would.

Eventually the league will adjust and teams will compensate for bigger TE's by focusing on OLB's with better pass-defending skills, as well as just plain bigger safeties period, but that time is not now, the 49ers victimized New Orleans and the Giants with one great TE at times, now add a second monster TE and you exploit that mismatch even more.

Most teams struggle to defend one highly-talented TE, two just makes it a nightmare.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran

Because teams are just overflowing with really tall LBs who are great in coverage? Do you really think it's that easy to cover two 6'6" guys on the field at the same time? Most linebackers are still in the 6 foot, maybe 6'2" range. Also, you're talking about using a backup LB in place of a DB, our defense could pull that off but many linebacker units in the league couldn't without throwing in someone who's going to be a big liability in coverage against such a size disadvantage.

Very few defenses are good against big tight ends and that's without having to worry about two of them on the field at the same time I don't care if your whole backfield is linebackers.

Walker is going to be a FA and he isn't exactly elite, so who knows if the Niners will resign him. People keep talking about how he is such a match-up problem, but look at his production this year, not exactly the stuff of an all star.

Originally posted by mike:

Because teams are just overflowing with really tall LBs who are great in coverage? Do you really think it's that easy to cover two 6'6" guys on the field at the same time? Most linebackers are still in the 6 foot, maybe 6'2" range. Also, you're talking about using a backup LB in place of a DB, our defense could pull that off but many linebacker units in the league couldn't without throwing in someone who's going to be a big liability in coverage against such a size disadvantage.

Very few defenses are good against big tight ends and that's without having to worry about two of them on the field at the same time I don't care if your whole backfield is linebackers.

Whose the other 6'6" guy on the Niners? Vernon is 6'3".
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Walker is going to be a FA and he isn't exactly elite, so who knows if the Niners will resign him. People keep talking about how he is such a match-up problem, but look at his production this year, not exactly the stuff of an all star.

No, he isn't, he plays well for what its worth but no defensive coordinator is staying up nights worrying how they're going to stop Delanie Walker. He's a Swiss-Army knife, a guy with no position, I hope the 49ers keep him but trying to compare him to a no-s**t, for-real physical TE like Fleener is laughable.
Fleener highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdOzpVW4WE&feature=related
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by mike:

Whose the other 6'6" guy on the Niners? Vernon is 6'3".

Oops I thought he was bigger than that. Still, he has that big play potential and I don't think there's any doubt that most defenses would have a hell of a time covering both of them.
6'6" and runs a 4.5? Yes please. In Harbaughs TE heavy offense this isnt a bad idea in the first. Especially with how deep this WR class is. Fleener in the first and a WR in the second would be pretty BAWSE
Share 49ersWebzone