There are 213 users in the forums

What will the Rams do with the #1 overall pick ?

What will the Rams do with the #1 overall pick ?

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Their coach made his name because of dominating Dline play. Suh will be the choice, they'll have a FA like Vick or maybe even Mcnabb come in to hold the line. They will be picking top 5 again, so they can get a QB then.

This has little importance in making the selection, if anything usually HC's choose a player on the other side of the ball. Remember the GM has the final say in most cases anyhow.

Recent history from this decade :

Detroit - Schwartz (defensive background) made a living off pressure from his front 4 in Tenn. and took a QB #1 overall and not a defensive player.

Atlanta - Mike Smith (defensive background) chose Matt Ryan over Glenn Dorsey

Houston - Gary Kubiak (offensive background) chose Mario Williams over Jesus in Cleats

Cincy - Marvin Lewis (defensive background) chose a QB not a defensive player.

Houston - Dom Capers (defensive background) chose a QB not a defensive player.

And the argument that they will be picking top 5 (or top 10 even) again next year and can get a QB then is a poor one. There are 2 QB's who look to be top 10 possibilities currently (Locker and Mallet) and there is no guarantee either would be on the board when they pick. You can't bank on the future because you don;t know what it holds.

Fair enough, but I wonder how much input the coach actually has in these types of decisions. I hope they do take a QB the way we forced the pick when we had it.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
This is what I think. Mostly. Then I think, um, but we are talking about the Rams!

The Rams deserve a better viewpoint don't you think ? This is the Devaney/Spags regime not the Zygmunt/Linehan regime.
I hope Clausen
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Depends how much they like Clausen/Bradford. If they aren't 100% on either guy then its gotta be Suh.

Man in the last 4 drafts they would have used 3 high 1st round picks on the DL if they draft Suh. Carriker in 2007, Long in 2008 and then could be Suh in 2010.

Their DL would be - Little...Suh...Carriker...Long
Sometimes teams shy away from drafting too much of the same position or general position.

Carriker, Long..........I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot, because now if they draft Suh....they will be putting a lot of eggs in one basket
I visited a Rams board a couple days ago, they seem split between Clausen and Suh.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
Fair enough, but I wonder how much input the coach actually has in these types of decisions. I hope they do take a QB the way we forced the pick when we had it.

Good question. I'm sure his input is heavily weighed but at the end of the day the GM and owner know that right now they have no face of the franchise going forward and when you look at how empty it was when we played them at end the season you have to think they need to do something to give this team and it's fanbase hope. Selling tickets and keeping season ticket holders interested will play a part in this selection.

As much as I don't want them to land a franchise QB, I'd hate for them to land Suh just as much, with Chris Long having made some progress we'll have to face that line twice a year and we all saw what Spags did with the line in NY. Would much rather they take Taylor Mays or Tim Tebow #1 overall.
If they think either Clausen or Bradford is a franchise guy, then they go with one of them. If not, they go with Suh. I personally think it will be Clausen, but who knows.
I think I would go Clausen.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by ninertico:
I understand the importance of drafting a franchise QB, but not at the expense of the top DT to come out in a generation. Suh is tooooooooo good to pass up for Clausen or Bradford, IMO.

I believe the Rams will draft Suh. Heck, they may trade back to land a QB and some picks, but I don't know who would want to jump up to take Suh at #1. That is why I that Suh will be a Ram once the dust settles.

Clausen and Bradford are not clear cut #1s. Suh is, again IMHO.

It's easy to sit here and say that when your team is sitting where they are. If we had the #1 pick and we had to trot out a trio of a broke down Bulger, Kyle Boller & Some dude named Null you'd be saying take Claussen or Bradford.

To us sure Suh is the best player. In their situation. Not so much. Especially after drafting Long & Carriker in recent drafts.

They will go Claussen or Bradford.

Ummm Krizay, sure it is easy for me to sit here and say that. I am not a scout nor do I pretend to be. That is why they call it an opinion and a mock.

IMO, I wouldn't be saying draft Clausen or Bradford because the Rams could go into FA or trade for a QB. I know the argument for taking a QB #1. We went through that remember?

So you mean to tell me that given the 05 scenario again with Smith and Rodgers and Suh was available, you would take Smith or Rodgers? In that class, there was no clear #1, but there is in this class.

Rams take Suh.

[ Edited by ninertico on Jan 12, 2010 at 12:27:48 ]

The will draft Suh and McKoy at the top of the 2nd round.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I understand the importance of drafting a franchise QB, but not at the expense of the top DT to come out in a generation. Suh is tooooooooo good to pass up for Clausen or Bradford, IMO.

I believe the Rams will draft Suh. Heck, they may trade back to land a QB and some picks, but I don't know who would want to jump up to take Suh at #1. That is why I that Suh will be a Ram once the dust settles.

Clausen and Bradford are not clear cut #1s. Suh is, again IMHO.

It's easy to sit here and say that when your team is sitting where they are. If we had the #1 pick and we had to trot out a trio of a broke down Bulger, Kyle Boller & Some dude named Null you'd be saying take Claussen or Bradford.

To us sure Suh is the best player. In their situation. Not so much. Especially after drafting Long & Carriker in recent drafts.

They will go Claussen or Bradford.

Ummm Krizay, sure it is easy for me to sit here and say that. I am not a scout nor do I pretend to be. That is why they call it an opinion and a mock.

IMO, I wouldn't be saying draft Clausen or Bradford because the Rams could go into FA or trade for a QB. I know the argument for taking a QB #1. We went through that remember?

So you mean to tell me that given the 05 scenario again with Smith and Rodgers and Suh was available, you would take Smith or Rodgers? In that class, there was no clear #1, but there is in this class.

Rams take Suh.

For the record I wanted Braylon Edwards that year and Orton in the 4th. . But I knew we had to get a QB. I felt comfortable taking Orton. This year I don't feel comfortable with anyone but Claussen or Bradford. So I would take one of them over Suh. Personally I'd choose Bradford.

So to answer your question. No I wouldn't take Smith or Rodgers. I would probably have chosen Suh and got Orton in the 3rd.

Obviously if they sign a capable FA or trade for one the decision is a little easier.

Rams take Claussen
If the Rams don't take an OT with their 1st pick someone needs to be fired!!! Then again if I was the Rams I would trade outta the 1st overall pick and target Clausen AND one of the top OT's.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
If the Rams don't take an OT with their 1st pick someone needs to be fired!!! Then again if I was the Rams I would trade outta the 1st overall pick and target Clausen AND one of the top OT's.

They just took Jason Smith number 2ish last year
Originally posted by AiNoKea:

They just took Jason Smith number 2ish last year

And yet they continue to have OL issues!!
Share 49ersWebzone