There are 256 users in the forums

Prospect Watch: Bowl Week Thread #4 (1/1 - 1/2)

Originally posted by teeohh:
can't believe the refs missed that call!
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

can't believe this game is such crap
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

can't believe this game is such crap

I know both teams just suck! I preferred watching the Gators chomp at the Bearcats. But, what do you guys think of #83 WR 6'5" 212 David Nelson from the Florida Gators or #11 WR 6'3" 215 Riley Cooper, also from Florida.

Arkansas' Mitch Petrus (6'4", 315) is an underrated OG to keep an eye on. He's a very athletic former FB who's still learning the nuances of playing the line, but could have as much upside as any guard in this draft not named Iupati. He's definitely someone to look at in round 3 to eventually take over for Baas.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Arkansas' Mitch Petrus (6'4", 315) is an underrated OG to keep an eye on. He's a very athletic former FB who's still learning the nuances of playing the line, but could have as much upside as any guard in this draft not named Iupati. He's definitely someone to look at in round 3 to eventually take over for Baas.

Hey, what if we just get both #56 OL 6'5" 318 Maurkice Pouncey & #55 OL 6'5" 320 Mike Pouncey, the Pouncey Twins!!!
Originally posted by GoFD74:

I'm really impressed with Petrus today for the most part. He locks onto his man and drives him, just as a guard should. Baas is not a good guard in this sense, and the big difference between the two players is Baas simply hits his man instead of keeping them at bay and away from the quarterback, simply giving them a pop (unless you actually knock them off their feet) almost always often them to just bounce off and around and find space to come through and hit the QB.

Baas' feet are not as good either and quicker tackles get past him as his lateral agility to contain quicker lineman is poor.
Some notes from the bowl games the last couple of days.

I thought that Doug Worthington helped himself a lot in the game against Oregon. He's definitely played well this season, and his size, at 6'5", 280, is about perfect for a team who wants to play him as a 3-4 DE. He has the frame to easily gain ten pounds.

TJ Ward played very well for Oregon after a few mediocre games against Stanford and Oregon State.

Mitch Petrus of Arkansas is a good looking mid-round guard. In a draft that appears weak at the position, he may grade out as the third or fourth best guard.

McCluster can burn rubber, but will probably only be a utility guy in the NFL. So, he's looking at only a late 2nd round grade in my opinion. I have him slated for the early third round right now.

Eric Norwood, to me, is one of those big draft sliders. I'm not sure if I had him in my Big 100 Board, and this is really due to size concerns. He is surely going to be measured at 5'10", and that is a real problem.

Size concerns should also affect OSU SS Kurt Coleman, who had a terrific senior season, but is nowhere near the 5'11" height as listed in programs. Probably a 5'9" player.

Jevan Snead is going to be a top 100 pick, even though he surely doesn't look the part. He does have the size and solid mechanics, and upside. He has completely lost confidence at Ole Miss, and many scouts and coaches think they can change players. I expect someone to pull the trigger in the third round.

Finally, Maurkice Pouncey is one fine looking center. He is clearly the best player at this position in the draft, and looks like a first rounder if he declares.

More later, Cheers.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Some notes from the bowl games the last couple of days.

I thought that Doug Worthington helped himself a lot in the game against Oregon. He's definitely played well this season, and his size, at 6'5", 280, is about perfect for a team who wants to play him as a 3-4 DE. He has the frame to easily gain ten pounds.

TJ Ward played very well for Oregon after a few mediocre games against Stanford and Oregon State.

Mitch Petrus of Arkansas is a good looking mid-round guard. In a draft that appears weak at the position, he may grade out as the third or fourth best guard.

McCluster can burn rubber, but will probably only be a utility guy in the NFL. So, he's looking at only a late 2nd round grade in my opinion. I have him slated for the early third round right now.

Eric Norwood, to me, is one of those big draft sliders. I'm not sure if I had him in my Big 100 Board, and this is really due to size concerns. He is surely going to be measured at 5'10", and that is a real problem.

Size concerns should also affect OSU SS Kurt Coleman, who had a terrific senior season, but is nowhere near the 5'11" height as listed in programs. Probably a 5'9" player.

Jevan Snead is going to be a top 100 pick, even though he surely doesn't look the part. He does have the size and solid mechanics, and upside. He has completely lost confidence at Ole Miss, and many scouts and coaches think they can change players. I expect someone to pull the trigger in the third round.

Finally, Maurkice Pouncey is one fine looking center. He is clearly the best player at this position in the draft, and looks like a first rounder if he declares.

More later, Cheers.

Looks like for these players, you've been seeing the same thing. As far as Snead, he won't fall past the 4th, sure, if he enters. However, I would not touch him. A QB that loses confidence the way Snead had is someone I do not want on my team. I do not like Snead at all, and felt from the beginning of this season that he was the most overrated QB in the SEC for quite a while.

Now as for Norwood, he looks like he's gained weight. He looked slow in today's game, and unimpressive.
Absolute explosion into the backfield by Brandon Sharpe to simply smash the QB Cousins into the turf, forcing the bad throw and interception by CB Jamar Wall.

Other quick note: Brandon Carter is playing RG, not LG, in this game.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Been watching a bit of the UConn and South Carolina game with focus on Eric Norwood and Marcus Easley.

Norwood would a great fit at OLB for the Niners in the second or third round. He plays the run well and has shown his pass rush moves in this game (especially his quick counter step to get inside pressure).

Easley is a big target and looks good after the catch. I can see why some of the other draftniks have been high on this guy in the middle rounds.

Norwood looks like he may have gained a little weight, and that could be a concern. He just had a whiff on a tackle. He seems to be being used mainly in coverage today. And now Norwood just got a stupid penalty to give UConn a first down. I don't think Eric is helping himself today.

I think he has 2nd round talent, but will go in the 3rd.

Yeah, right after I typed my post that's when the wheels came off for Norwood. Still, I wouldn't mind him as a 2nd or 3rd round addition.

I can't even say "the refs are letting them play" out there.. It's more like "The Refs are letting Michigan State do whatever they want."

I've seen MSU defenders draped all over Tech receivers, back turned and not looking for the ball at ANY point, with the official five feet away and no call. Late hits as well. Hmm.

Nothing against MSU, but the officiating sure seems to be favoring them today. I still don't expect them to win.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

You don't think he goes back for one more year after the horrible season he's had? If he goes back and does well he'll move up a couple of rounds.

Quote:

More later, Cheers.

His brother Mike is a pretty good guard too.
Michigan State was forced to double and triple team Brandon Sharpe in this game -- his explosion off the snap is simply terrific.

I like his chances as a developmental 3-4 OLB.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:07 PM ]
Michigan State was forced to double and triple team Brandon Sharpe in this game -- his explosion off the snap is simply terrific.

Watching the replay since i missed the game(was at the Kings game) and it looks like Jamar Wall had a nice game. Thoughts on him?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Watching the replay since i missed the game(was at the Kings game) and it looks like Jamar Wall had a nice game. Thoughts on him?

I think he's a good press cover corner, and likely would fit well in any system. Very physical player -- known to be a ferocious hitter -- obviously decent hands, but the one knock on him is his height -- He's only about 5-9.
Share 49ersWebzone