LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 223 users in the forums

Devonte Fields OLB Louisville

While everyone is enamored with Myles Garrett and rightfully so...there are other pass rushers (and good ones) in this upcoming draft

I like me some Fields late in the 2nd or early 3rd this year. He reminds me of Chandler Jones (he was about he same size as Fields coming out of the draft)

He's got long arms, is explosive, and can lineup all over the place...he was a monster at TCU with 18.5 TFL and 10 sacks as a freshman.

"Lining up in a three-point stance at both left and right defensive end, Fields has the edge speed and flexible body type to threaten the corner, creating holding penalties with his shoulder dip and sharp 90-degree turns. He uses his length and lean to keep blockers from his body while also flashing the secondary quickness once disengaged to find and pursue the ball carrier. Fields also looks natural on his feet when asked to drop in space, which will make him an appealing prospect to both 4-3 and 3-4 teams."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1996848/devonte-fields

He's got his off field issues but as far as I know has been fine in Louisville.

Thoughts?
Good pass rusher. As long as he doesn't have another Greg Hardy incident.
Reminds me some of Julian peterson...

-live wire across the line
-ability to knife/get skinny through
the line
-ability to make oline pay when they
don't move there feet or get caught
off balance (he'll yank them down
move up field)

Like to see more of him against the run
[ Edited by Allx9er on Oct 19, 2016 at 7:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

yeah that's what drops him...not talent, as far as I know since going to Louisville he's been good to go.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

yeah that's what drops him...not talent, as far as I know since going to Louisville he's been good to go.

Yeah and Noah Spence dropped to the 2nd so I'd expect him to drop as well if not further due to this class being ridiculously stacked.

Yeah and Noah Spence dropped to the 2nd so I'd expect him to drop as well if not further due to this class being ridiculously stacked.

Yup...Myles is a stud without a doubt, but man if we can get a qb of the future and one of these pass rushers I would prefer that.

Qb in the 1st, WR in the 2nd and move back up to get someone like fields in the 2nd IMHO would do more for this team then Myles and a developmental qb. Still a lot of time to evaluate and who knows where we're picking.

Currently we're 4th which is a damn shame because we are the worst team in the league right now.
Yup...Myles is a stud without a doubt, but man if we can get a qb of the future and one of these pass rushers I would prefer that.

Qb in the 1st, WR in the 2nd and move back up to get someone like fields in the 2nd IMHO would do more for this team then Myles and a developmental qb. Still a lot of time to evaluate and who knows where we're picking.

Currently we're 4th which is a damn shame because we are the worst team in the league right now.

What worst is everyone should know we will beat the Bears. Sorry boys
What worst is everyone should know we will beat the Bears. Sorry boys

Should be a barn burner
Originally posted by Allx9er:

the line
move up field)

Yeah I could see that...I think he's been good setting the edge
He's very good but he got accused of punching his girlfriend and after that threatening her with a gun. In a class so loaded with great edge-rushers(Garrett, Williams, Harris, Barnett)I don't think we should take a chance on him.

Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
He's very good but he got accused of punching his girlfriend and after that threatening her with a gun. In a class so loaded with great edge-rushers(Garrett, Williams, Harris, Barnett)I don't think we should take a chance on him.

He hasn't done anything wrong since then...people F up and sometimes they learn. Robinson is looking like a gem and messed up in school?

Pretty sure Williams got in trouble with a gun and Garrett and barnett are top 10 picks.
I'm all for rolling the dice on him. The guy Seattle drafted Frank Clark hasn't been a problem. Every guy is different if you interview and he seems to be good to go then pick him. I like Barnett from TN but not sure he projects as and OLB or strictly a 4-3 DE
I remember his freshman year at TCU, he was a monster..last year he proved he grew up and is supposedly making the right decisions or just not getting caught lol but hes talented and if around in the 3rd id take him fast but that's asking a lot..

the line
move up field)

Nice breakdowns. Those strengths definitely jump out to me.

If Baalke is here next season, Fields sure fits the Baalke mold, and Baalke isn't one to shy away from off-the-field issues. I would loooove to grab this guy on day 2. An absolute player. I like the chandler jones comp.
Originally posted by Heroism:

the line
move up field)

Nice breakdowns. Those strengths definitely jump out to me.

If Baalke is here next season, Fields sure fits the Baalke mold, and Baalke isn't one to shy away from off-the-field issues. I would loooove to grab this guy on day 2. An absolute player. I like the chandler jones comp.

Yup I see chandler jones comps on this guy...this draft is chalk full of pass rushers and is a reason why I want to go qb in the first.
Share 49ersWebzone