There are 224 users in the forums

Bengals owner: We wont trade Palmer

Shop 49ers game tickets
The Bengals aren’t willing to trade Carson Palmer, who wants to leave one of the NFL’s least-successful franchises while he’s still in his prime.

Owner Mike Brown said Monday that the 31-year-old quarterback asked for a trade a little more than a week ago. Brown told Palmer the team wouldn’t trade him because he’s central to its plans.

“He was told that, and that we count on him going forward,” Brown told The Cincinnati Enquirer and the team’s website in Mobile, Ala. “He was told that we are not in a position to trade him.”

The franchise quarterback has decided it’s time to leave his mess of a franchise.

Palmer hasn’t talked to the media since making his trade request. A text message seeking comment wasn’t returned. Agent David Dunn released a statement saying that “because of the lack of success that Carson and the Bengals have experienced together, Carson strongly feels that a separation between him and the Bengals would be in the best interest of both parties.”

link
[ Edited by global_nomad on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:38 PM ]
Thanks for the buzzkill.
Eventually they'll cave. Palmer seems pretty set that he wants out, and as a former #1 overall pick and, once, an elite NFL QB, he's likely a lot more financial stability than most NFL players. He can afford a holdout.

I think the Bengals are trying to salvage the situation. By doing this, they show Carson an olive branch that they want him, but also, they up what is needed to trade for him if they have to trade.
  • titan
  • Veteran
They are just trying to get the max deal for the team who absolutely wants him.
At this point in his carreer his stats place him about mid pack amongst QB's. So no matter how Cincy spins this, they better not be counting on a very high draft pick.
Originally posted by titan:
They are just trying to get the max deal for the team who absolutely wants him.

Very possible.
man, i can't imagine how many Carson Palmer threads there will be if we actually do trade for him.
chad never got traded...
  • dj43
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
At this point in his carreer his stats place him about mid pack amongst QB's. So no matter how Cincy spins this, they better not be counting on a very high draft pick.

There are three cards in this deck: Kolb, Orton, now Palmer. Everybody will be waiting to see which card falls first.

Philly is asking a 1st for Kolb, Denver wants a 2nd for Orton, Orton has a 79.6 career rating which puts him well below Palmer's 86.9 career though his last five years are at 83. What all that suggests is that if Denver gets a 2nd, or even a 3rd for Orton, Palmer will get a 2nd.

Once the CBA is signed there will be a mad scramble to make deals. The quarterback part of it will be very interesting. I would expect Palmer to be the last one dealt unless someone comes up with a very sweet deal for Cincy.

I doubt Cinvy deals him. They have nothing behind him.
Originally posted by dj43:

There are three cards in this deck: Kolb, Orton, now Palmer. Everybody will be waiting to see which card falls first.

Philly is asking a 1st for Kolb, Denver wants a 2nd for Orton, Orton has a 79.6 career rating which puts him well below Palmer's 86.9 career though his last five years are at 83. What all that suggests is that if Denver gets a 2nd, or even a 3rd for Orton, Palmer will get a 2nd.

Once the CBA is signed there will be a mad scramble to make deals. The quarterback part of it will be very interesting. I would expect Palmer to be the last one dealt unless someone comes up with a very sweet deal for Cincy.

It's all about what Cinci can get to trade him...every team has a point where every person is tradeable, the question is what does Cinci want to let him go.

With Ocho, it wouldn't suprise me if no one wanted him, which is why he wasn't traded. I would give up two 3rds for Palmer, or maybe a 3rd this year and 2nd next year or something.

Add a top end CB in the draft, a true 3-4 OLB in FA (hopefully this is possible) and Palmer and we will win the NFC west next year without a doubt.

• Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:
chad never got traded...

of course it would be hard to see chad actually hold out or "retire" but I can totally see palmer doing it
  • dj43
Originally posted by bigwads:
Originally posted by dj43:

It's all about what Cinci can get to trade him...every team has a point where every person is tradeable, the question is what does Cinci want to let him go.

With Ocho, it wouldn't suprise me if no one wanted him, which is why he wasn't traded. I would give up two 3rds for Palmer, or maybe a 3rd this year and 2nd next year or something.

Add a top end CB in the draft, a true 3-4 OLB in FA (hopefully this is possible) and Palmer and we will win the NFC west next year without a doubt.
The catch is what Cincy can get to replace Palmer. Right now they would be as bad off without Palmer as the 49ers are right now.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tman:
chad never got traded...

of course it would be hard to see chad actually hold out or "retire" but I can totally see palmer doing it

I would laugh.

Hard.

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Tman:
chad never got traded...

I would laugh.

Hard.

Jake Plummer did it for real since they have a boat loads of money and content what they have instead of playing on the team they don't want to play anymore. So I am not gonna be surprise if he does retire.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Yah he won't be traded like how Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall weren't traded.
Share 49ersWebzone