LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

MAYOCK is HIGH on EARL THOMAS

• GORO
  • Veteran
MIKE MAYOCK is really High on Earl Thomas! Here is the website;

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81677626/Mayock-s-top-5-S-CB
Mayock has a really keen eye for talent. I value his analysis and opinion more than any other "draft guru".

That said.. I am now officially conflicted.. not sure what we should do with our 2nd first rounder. Assuming we grab an OT the other first could be Spiller, Iupati, Graham, Thomas, Haden...the list goes on and on,

I feel like a kid in a candy shop.
This from the Austin paper the other day; if he really runs a legit 4.3, he'll shoot up the board:

Earl Thomas

He took a chance by leaving early with two years of eligibility left, and probably will go anywhere from the late first round to somewhere in the second. Scouts don't like his size — he's small, at least for an NFL safety — but they do like the fact that he came up with big plays on defense at Texas. He reportedly is running a 4.3 40 in his pre-combine workouts.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Mayock has a really keen eye for talent. I value his analysis and opinion more than any other "draft guru".

That said.. I am now officially conflicted.. not sure what we should do with our 2nd first rounder. Assuming we grab an OT the other first could be Spiller, Iupati, Graham, Thomas, Haden...the list goes on and on,

"Officially conflicted" is a good way of putting it. Scotty better do it right with the embarassment of riches he has to choose from. Anyone of the guys you have mentioned would look great in red and gold.
In terms of who we actually choose it is far too early to know. It is definitely true that there is an abundance of choice. With a record amount of non-Seniors in the draft, and us having 2 1st day picks it is so difficult to know who we'll take.

There are far too many variables at this stage, and far too many things I have little knowledge of.

(Admittedly always true at this time of year, but lets enjoy the speculation.)

I do agree that Mayock tends to be one of the better judges of draft - or at least he seems to be a good judge of who teams will pick.

But I have heard some say this draft is deep at safety - but that can be balanced by the fact many would think we need a safety that can start soon, and not in a few years.

I think o-line is the major need, but what happens if we pick up someone before the draft?

We will have a better idea after the combine where players are gonna settle in draft order.

Yesterday I read a mock that had Berry going to us - I don't believe that for a second, but I would have said the same of Crabtree last year.

What we do in free agency, what others do in free agency, and what others pick before us still has a huge role to play.
Earl Thomas seems to me like he could be a corner for his size.
You can mark it down:

McCloughan will NOT draft Earl Thomas in the 1st round. Scot loves size and Thomas's biggest flaw is height and lack of muscle mass. Look at our current roster: Frank Gore is our shortest player but he's at least a 220 lbs RB. Look at our starting secondary: Spencer, Clements, Goldson, Lewis (no one under 6 ft). Even though I think Thomas is a superior safety to Taylor Mays, Mays has a better shot of being drafted by the 49ers as ridiculous as that sounds.

I'll be surprised if Thomas is taller than 5-9. Can you imagine him trying to tackle Steven Jackson, Beanie Wells, Fitzgerald, or Boldin?

[ Edited by DesiDez on Feb 19, 2010 at 08:18:54 ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

...so, Mike Mayock is the new "Candyman"? So is Spiller the new "Scrumdiliumpscious" Bar? I want my "World" to taste good, damn it!

I do too man. This draft is turning out better than I thought as these underclassmen continue to impress driving more talent toward the top. Can you imagine if only half of the Juniors came out in the top of the draft. We would be hoping for a RT...in the second and thirds reaching mightily for one.

Now, we have some great picks coming our way where we can pick the #1 player at their respective positions.

As far as Thomas, I know Mayock was high on him, but the review wasn't all glowing. He excels in coverage and can roam the field very well and has recovery speed. It is his size. Would he be able to start at FS while moving Goldson to SS or would it take time?

I think that the "immediate" starter label needs to be discussed. Out of these players below, who could start now?
Haden?
McClain?
Spiller?
Davis?
Bulaga?
Iupati?
T. Williams?
Graham?
D. Williams?

Out of these I say Spiller, Bulaga, Davis, Iupati, and T. Williams, possibly Graham. The others, including Graham, it seems would have some serious competition at their spots.

That's why I am in with any combo of these three with our first two: Spiller/RT/Iupati. Can't go wrong with that.

Don't want Thomas at #16/17. This safety class is way to deep with much larger S who can play center field well, too. Value is the word of the day with Safeties, IMO.

PS...Barrow's Blog on Thomas

Thomas' biggest test in Indianapolis will be stepping on the scale. The Texas safety has tremendous range and great ball skills, but there are durability questions about Thomas, who is listed as 195 pounds. That's light for an NFL safety. Thomas also had some problems making tackles in the open field, leading scouts to wonder if he wouldn't be better off at cornerback in the NFL. Aside from Florida's Joe Haden, there aren't a lot of can't-miss cornerback prospects at the top of the draft. If Thomas runs his 40 in the low 4.4s or 4.3s, he would help convince teams he could make the conversion. There are certainly some talented NFL safeties who don't have a lot of size. The Colts' Bob Sanders, Pittsburgh's Troy Polamalu and Baltimore's Ed Reed come to mind. All three of those players, however, were sidelined with injuries this past season and Reed is contemplating retirement. Said Rang of Thomas: "Durability is absolutely something teams have to consider."

Hmmmmmmmm.....

[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 19, 2010 at 09:16:20 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DesiDez:
You can mark it down:

McCloughan will NOT draft Earl Thomas in the 1st round. Scot loves size and Thomas's biggest flaw is height and lack of muscle mass. Look at our current roster: Frank Gore is our shortest player but he's at least a 220 lbs RB. Look at our starting secondary: Spencer, Clements, Goldson, Lewis (no one under 6 ft). Even though I think Thomas is a superior safety to Taylor Mays, Mays has a better shot of being drafted by the 49ers as ridiculous as that sounds.

I'll be surprised if Thomas is taller than 5-9. Can you imagine him trying to tackle Steven Jackson, Beanie Wells, Fitzgerald, or Boldin?

Tarell Brown, Derrick Johnson, Daven Holly, Brandon Williams are all guys who are under 6 feet tall that were drafted since Scot has been with the 49ers.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
You can mark it down:

Tarell Brown, Derrick Johnson, Daven Holly, Brandon Williams are all guys who are under 6 feet tall that were drafted since Scot has been with the 49ers.

What rounds were they drafted in?

• LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
I would not take a safety in the 1st round unless it's Berry. However, I'd rather have Thomas than Mays.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
You can mark it down:

Brown was given a 3rd round grade before his off the field incidents were factored in. The 49ers took a long look at the kid before they pulled the trigger.
You can mark it down:

Brown was given a 3rd round grade before his off the field incidents were factored in. The 49ers took a long look at the kid before they pulled the trigger.

Exactly. None of them were drafted in the first round, which Earl Thomas is projected to be drafted. I am not sure if McC would draft someone who doesn't have great size in the 1st round.
  • evil
  • Veteran
You can mark it down:

Exactly. None of them were drafted in the first round, which Earl Thomas is projected to be drafted. I am not sure if McC would draft someone who doesn't have great size in the 1st round.

From an old Q&A with Scot :

Quote:
YOU MENTIONED YOUR PHILOSOPHYY ON PLAYERS, WHAT IS IT EXACTLY?:

I will give away a little on the height, weight and speed for a consistent player. I think it's important to be mentally and physically tough. You got to let them understand that it's a team game, not an individual game, that the only way we are going to be good is as a group.

From an old Q&A with Scot :

Quote:
YOU MENTIONED YOUR PHILOSOPHYY ON PLAYERS, WHAT IS IT EXACTLY?:

I will give away a little on the height, weight and speed for a consistent player. I think it's important to be mentally and physically tough. You got to let them understand that it's a team game, not an individual game, that the only way we are going to be good is as a group.

look at those words carefully... e.thomas gives away A LOT on both height AND weight. many also question his toughness which is another "knock." he doesnt play like the also undersized b.sanders, that's for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone