LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 137 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
NFL Network's Michael Lombardi said on "Total Access" tonight, He thinks Alex Smith will win the starting QB job.
Originally posted by PTulini:
NFL Network's Michael Lombardi said on "Total Access" tonight, He thinks Alex Smith will win the starting QB job.

I don't expect him to win the competition but I do expect him to get the starting nod at some point in the season. I don't think Hill's arm can take a full season. Toward the end of the season last year Hill got gradually worse and I beleive that to be due to fatigue in his shoulder as the weeks went by
I really dont care who starts anymore as long as we win.
Originally posted by backontop:

I don't expect him to win the competition but I do expect him to get the starting nod at some point in the season. I don't think Hill's arm can take a full season. Toward the end of the season last year Hill got gradually worse and I beleive that to be due to fatigue in his shoulder as the weeks went by

Wait... you're more worried about Shaun Hill's shoulder than Alex Smith's shoulder? Boy, that would be an argument I would expect to hear from someone bashing Alex! Now the Webzone has thrown me for a loop???

I posted this in the other competition thread and was too lazy for new thought so I copied it...

"The more I revert back to Alex in 2006 and the start of 2007, I have some assemblence of history to equate a positive outlook because of his positive progression in off season's practice. Imagine, he did enough to warrant a competition on the eve of TC 2009. On the other hand, Hill, Mr. Kick Azz, will not give up without a fight with all his being...just think about his run for a first against AZ.

Therefore, I expect a very heated competition. Cool. Seriously, because it will only bring out the best in them. IMO, most are underestimating what both these QBs can do in Raye's offense. Given what Alex has endured and given what Hill has accomplished, both will provide us with some passionate plays for sure.

IMO, I expect Alex to use his mobility and his accurate down field throwing to separate himself from Hill. Hill will win in the short routes, but Alex will do well enough to keep up with him. It is the mid-field to deep routes that will allow Alex to show off his abilities. The evidence was in these last OTAs and minis. He earned the opportunity to compete.

I am sure everyone agrees that the pre-season games mean a great deal because we will see Alex perform live since 2007 (...wow, it's really been two years) to witness his success or defeat. He has to prove he's got enough to beat Hill and it won't be easy.

Again, I believe that we win as a fan base no matter who wins. There is no denying the heart these two have. There is no denying they want the best for the team. There is no denying that we benefit from all points of view whether you vehemently want Alex or Hill.

I just prefer the conjunction and. "

I am too tired to re-hash my own thought...but, it had relevance here.

Yea... I was a post whore tonight...got carried away...shameless, I am...

[ Edited by ninertico on Jul 27, 2009 at 21:02:37 ]
Hey, good post, ninertico. I have a lot of respect for the points you made, and for both QBs. I don't know about some of you, but SF fans should have a far more exciting August than most team fans. It's gonna be great to evaluate all of these players... especially the QBs... and I hope everyone remembers that all we really want is 49er WINS at the end of it all.

well.. except for some trolls that only want to provoke and get others banned for retaliation, and see a player or our F/O fail so they can say "told ya so"...

[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 28, 2009 at 07:39:16 ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Hey, good post, ninertico. I have a lot of respect for the points you made, and for both QBs. I don't know about some of you, but SF fans should have a far more exciting August than most team fans. It's gonna be great to evaluate all of these players... especially the QBs... and I hope everyone remembers that all we really want is 49er WINS at the end of it all.

well.. except for some trolls that only want to provoke and get others banned for retaliation, and see a player or our F/O fail so they can say "told ya so"...

You cannot let them drag you down to their level,if you just stick to the facts and let them spew out their hatred in absolutes,they will show themselves to be the morons that they are.The harsh glare of truth suffers no fools.People who deal only in absolutes are just setting themselves up for a feast of crow.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran

That's the same guy who's been on record as saying he isn't sold on Smith or Hill. That's the same guy who said the 49ers should move up into the top 5 and draft Mark Sanchez. Not an attack on you, but I could care less what that Bill Belichick/Scott Pioli buttlicker has to say.
Originally posted by FL9er:

That's the same guy who's been on record as saying he isn't sold on Smith or Hill. That's the same guy who said the 49ers should move up into the top 5 and draft Mark Sanchez. Not an attack on you, but I could care less what that Bill Belichick/Scott Pioli buttlicker has to say.

Neither Smith or Hill will ever do much and we SHOULD have moved up to draft Sanchez

Originally posted by danimal:

Neither Smith or Hill will ever do much and we SHOULD have moved up to draft Sanchez

Hey bro,can I get tomorrows power ball numbers from you? I will split it with you 50-50.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

You cannot let them drag you down to their level,if you just stick to the facts and let them spew out their hatred in absolutes,they will show themselves to be the morons that they are.The harsh glare of truth suffers no fools.People who deal only in absolutes are just setting themselves up for a feast of crow.

"Never get down in the mud to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it." Anonymous

As I posted in response to your post in the other thread, ninertico, I agree with what you say: I think the competition brings out the best performance in both Hill and Smith. Improved performance in practice has to mean improved performance during games.

I think they both had/have room for improvement, and with a true competition (not the predetermined bs of last year), they'll both make some strides in the right direction. Now that Smith's arm is right, and he has two years to learn the ways of the NFL, perhaps he's matured to the point where he could be productive.

Hill's knock was that he's not a practice player. Well, he better become one, or he could lose his job.

No more lax practices under Singletary. One criticism that used to be reported about the team under Nolan, was that their practices were sloppy and lax. And guess what, they played that way on Sundays, as well, more times than not.

I expect this to be a more disciplined team, mentally, on the field on Sundays. Meaning fewer penalties and fewer botched plays. Remember the old days. Seems like we never had penalties and the other team was the one that shot themselves in the foot. I expect a return to that simply because Singletary will insist on it. And it starts with the QB.

So to whichever QB wins the competition, he'll have my full support.

Go Niners.

Originally posted by danimal:

Sanchez was not worth 2 first round picks.

-9fA
Quote:
As far as the quarterback battle, Singletary said he was very content with the situation. He characterized Shaun Hill as a former back up who has been successful as a starter and Smith as someone who "really in my mind hasn't had an opportunity, the right opportunity, to excel, to be the guy he can be." Singletary said the decision on a starter likely would be made prior to the third preseason game, but he also left room that it could be made earlier. Both Hill and Smith would prefer the decision to be made as early as possible, giving the regular-season starter the maximum amount of time to work with his receivers.

Matt Barrows' Blog (07/28)
Quote:
As far as the quarterback battle, Singletary said he was very content with the situation. He characterized Shaun Hill as a former back up who has been successful as a starter and Smith as someone who "really in my mind hasn't had an opportunity, the right opportunity, to excel, to be the guy he can be." Singletary said the decision on a starter likely would be made prior to the third preseason game, but he also left room that it could be made earlier. Both Hill and Smith would prefer the decision to be made as early as possible, giving the regular-season starter the maximum amount of time to work with his receivers.

Matt Barrows' Blog (07/28)

I wonder if both will get a half each with the first units or just one quarter...what do you guys think? I personally don't know on this one. Isn't it generally one qtr each? But this competition is different and they may want to see more. This is Singletary's team now and he is far from ordinary so he may want to see more along with Raye and Johnson. I would if I were coach especially if both are in command.

Again, I am of the firm belief that Alex will naturally excel in the mid to deep routes while commanding a great lead on throwing on the run especially if they have to keep it. He simply is a great elusive QB runner. I don't remember him not gaining some significant yards when he decided to run. (forget this last statement as I forgot about Hill's sneaky running speed...he does get his fair share of escapes)

I really think we are in for a treat during both preseason games. Oh and wouldn't you know it, they are at home!

We get to see them both evolve in front of our eyes!!

This is going to be fun!!

[ Edited by ninertico on Jul 28, 2009 at 19:31:33 ]
Share 49ersWebzone