LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

**UFC/MMA Thread**

Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
The Ortiz/Evans fight sucked. Evans was afraid to make a mistake, all he did was dance around. Ortiz was tired in the third round, if Evans would have attacked he could have knocked him out.

Silva is a bad man.

I was surprised Tito did what he did considering his age and lifestyle. He is a little older now, so of course he is gonna fatigue in the later rounds.

Tito was robbed though.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
SILVA VS Nate Marquardt
TITO VS RASHAD
FLORIAN VS ROBINSON
SHERK VS FRANCA
Silva should be everyone's favorite fighter.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
SILVA VS Nate Marquardt
TITO VS RASHAD
FLORIAN VS ROBINSON
SHERK VS FRANCA

I ordered the fights last night but Kudos to you jimrat for putting them up for everyone else.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Got to had it to Dshearn, I admit he was right and I was wrong. Hermes got completely man-handled when he was on the ground with Sherk. You were right he had a better chance of standing up. But man Sherk got caught with 4 solid knees to his grill and still hung on to fight, I would've went down by the first one.
All I can say about the Tito/Evans fight, is that I wish Tito didn't grab on to the fence. One takedown was completely prevented, and another was softened considerably. Tito may have been pressing the action, but that doesn't mean he won the fight. Unfortunatley Evans was too cautious during the 3rd round (and the whole fight) to beat Tito. Evans was about to destroy Tito if it wasn't for the bell. And while I realize Evans was about to be choked out at the end of round 2, I can't help but wonder if he would have been in a position to apply that choke had he not grabbed the fence. Yes, he was still taken down after grabbing the fence, but with not near as much force had he not.

Draw = Probably best decision
Evans = Would have accepted, but needed to do more work to be convincing.
Ortiz= NO. Can't reward cheating. He was beat by the end of the fight.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SFBlue:
All I can say about the Tito/Evans fight, is that I wish Tito didn't grab on to the fence. One takedown was completely prevented, and another was softened considerably. Tito may have been pressing the action, but that doesn't mean he won the fight. Unfortunatley Evans was too cautious during the 3rd round (and the whole fight) to beat Tito. Evans was about to destroy Tito if it wasn't for the bell. And while I realize Evans was about to be choked out at the end of round 2, I can't help but wonder if he would have been in a position to apply that choke had he not grabbed the fence. Yes, he was still taken down after grabbing the fence, but with not near as much force had he not.

While the correct thing was to take away point from Tito, I think if the bell hadn't rung, then Evans would have tapped out. Then that point reduction would have meant squat.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SFBlue:

While the correct thing was to take away point from Tito, I think if the bell hadn't rung, then Evans would have tapped out. Then that point reduction would have meant squat.

I haven't been watching UFC long enough to know, but I know in boxing the ref stops the action when deducting a point. Is it normal practice in UFC to deduct the point without stopping the action? Regardless I was questioning is if Tito been taken down harder would he have been able to get the upper hand on the mat?
[ Edited by SFBlue on Jul 8, 2007 at 1:54 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Sorry to stray here, but I don't want to start a new thread:

What's the deal with this IFL on VS.??? I dig MMA, but I'm not really on top of the scene. These IFL guys seem like they're minor league types. Is that pretty much what these guys are???

I really wouldn't say minor leaguers, they just have a different way of presenting MMA. Each known MMA fighter has his own team, I don't really follow it since it comes on at weird times here in Hawaii. But I heard theirs a 18 year old kid thats a beast in the IFL. Anyone else got more info even I'd like to know.

This is the guy you're talking about:

Horodecki

He's pretty good. He trains under Bas Rutten. He looks about 16, but he's a great striker (very fast). Guys go into the fight thinking they can bang with him and just beat him down, but he ends up picking them apart. He's got a very bright future. I actually think he could stand to cut some weight and fight at 145.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if you follow the WEC or not, but they've got an absolute beast over there, Urijah Faber. He fights at 145lbs, so I don't see him getting over to the UFC anytime soon.

(IMO, it's just a matter of time though before Dana White opens up a 145lbs class in the UFC. These lightweights are getting too good and there's no reason for them to have to fight at the lesser-known organizations. The UFC is missing out on some fighters and letting their competitors (WEC, IFL, etc.) gain some ground in MMA.)

In the mean time, I expect to see Jens Pulver sign on with WEC. He should walk through most of those guys, but I wouldn't give him much of a chance against Faber. Faber looks unbeatable right now. I've yet to even see him even challenged in fight.

[ Edited by strickac on Jul 8, 2007 at 2:11 PM ]
i have watched alot of Faber in the KOTC events.

He does look unbeatable... Even when he Looses(rare that it happens) you can clearly see It was a mistake, not that he was beaten.

If faber would come up to 155 he could be a major force. The UFC has tried half a dozzen times to Sign him to fight, He says he has not gone to the UFC becuase it would be a major pay cut for him the way they only fight a few times a year and he is not allowed to fight for anyone else while he is signed by the UFC.

Faber looks like a machine against the people he is fighting right now. I want to say he is going to rock if he goes against UFC type talent...but hell you never know. Its hard to rate legit fighters when they are mauling guys you work out with in the local gyms.

Got to had it to Dshearn, I admit he was right and I was wrong. Hermes got completely man-handled when he was on the ground with Sherk. You were right he had a better chance of standing up. But man Sherk got caught with 4 solid knees to his grill and still hung on to fight, I would've went down by the first one.

The knees were insane.... Dont you think Kenny Florian is going WTF right now.

Florian is a great Muay Thai guy. You know is he thinking Why the hell didnt i do that....

I should have brougt the UFC 62 dvd to work with me to re-watch the Florian vs Sherk fight.

Sherk is a beast...but we saw a kink in his armor last night... The first knee was at least a flash knock out. Florian Can survive on his back and still attack, If he can get to his feet and keep his knees flying....I think he can take out Sherk.

Sherk vs Florian 2...... man...I think Florian can do it.

Not saying I think its Certian that Florian will win , but i think it is plusable that he could win.

MAN THE UFC DELIVERS AT 155.

Look at the talent. You got guys like BJ penn trying to escape to 170 or beyond because of the massive GLUT of talent at 155.

They are killing pride at light and Welter weight.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Dshearn:

The knees were insane.... Dont you think Kenny Florian is going WTF right now.

Florian is a great Muay Thai guy. You know is he thinking Why the hell didnt i do that....

I should have brougt the UFC 62 dvd to work with me to re-watch the Florian vs Sherk fight.

Sherk is a beast...but we saw a kink in his armor last night... The first knee was at least a flash knock out. Florian Can survive on his back and still attack, If he can get to his feet and keep his knees flying....I think he can take out Sherk.

Sherk vs Florian 2...... man...I think Florian can do it.

Not saying I think its Certian that Florian will win , but i think it is plusable that he could win.

MAN THE UFC DELIVERS AT 155.

Look at the talent. You got guys like BJ penn trying to escape to 170 or beyond because of the massive GLUT of talent at 155.

They are killing pride at light and Welter weight.

I think Penn wants to go to 170 because he has some losses to avenge. Plush, Sherk went into the cage at 180 pounds! That's crazy. I'm sorry, but unnless Florian REALLY worked his knees he would lose again to Sherk. Did you guys SEE his training regimen? INSANE.

Sherk's Training
Originally posted by Oscar:

I think Penn wants to go to 170 because he has some losses to avenge. Plush, Sherk went into the cage at 180 pounds! That's crazy. I'm sorry, but unnless Florian REALLY worked his knees he would lose again to Sherk. Did you guys SEE his training regimen? INSANE.

Sherk's Training

I can clearly see Sherk winning against Florian again.

Sherk did not beat up Florian, he won but there is a diffrence.

Sherk was stunned and was knocked out by that first knee. That look clearly like a flash knock out.

Sherk was also rocked against Diaz.

In sherk florian 1 . Florian was able to cut him and he was able to keep Sherk in his guard and attempt submissions.

I dont think Sherk is un-beatable.

The fighter that beats Sherk is going to have to be dangerous off his back. Dangerous enough that Sherk does not want to go to the ground if he can avoid it. Sherk was afraid to take Diaz to the ground. Diaz also wanted no part of sherk on the ground.

It think the guy that beats sherk is going to have to be a hell of a transition fighter. Like Diaz he is going to have to attack from his back and constantly throw submission after submission untill one lands.

That is not really Florian. At least not right now, but i can see were Florian could become that kind of figher. He is a good Submission fighter, but he does not have endless transitions( not that i have seen)

Standing up Your going to need a dangerous fighter that can spraw. Florian can do that.

I would not be real scared of Sherk knocking out a Title contending fighter.

So sherk has a fatal flaw. You dont have to fear the fight could end on any given strike.

his second Fatal flaw is he does not have a chin of stone, even at 155. We have seen him Hurt once in pride, and three times in the UFC. Only JSP was able to finish him off after he was stunned.

I am not predicting the Fall of Sherk. But i dont think he is unbeatable.

I think a tall lean fighter that has a mix of Muay Thai/judo-ju-jitsu can do it.

Hell lets face , The most likely way for a fighter to beat him is to be able to attack off of his back. Since sherk is so damn good at keeping people on thier backs, or knock him out when shoots.
[ Edited by Dshearn on Jul 8, 2007 at 6:29 PM ]
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Oscar:

Sherk's Training

I can clearly see Sherk winning against Florian again.

Sherk did not beat up Florian, he won but there is a diffrence.

Sherk was stunned and was knocked out by that first knee. That look clearly like a flash knock out.

Sherk was also rocked against Diaz.

In sherk florian 1 . Florian was able to cut him and he was able to keep Sherk in his guard and attempt submissions.

I dont think Sherk is un-beatable.

The fighter that beats Sherk is going to have to be dangerous off his back. Dangerous enough that Sherk does not want to go to the ground if he can avoid it. Sherk was afraid to take Diaz to the ground. Diaz also wanted no part of sherk on the ground.

It think the guy that beats sherk is going to have to be a hell of a transition fighter. Like Diaz he is going to have to attack from his back and constantly throw submission after submission untill one lands.

That is not really Florian. At least not right now, but i can see were Florian could become that kind of figher. He is a good Submission fighter, but he does not have endless transitions( not that i have seen)

Standing up Your going to need a dangerous fighter that can spraw. Florian can do that.

I would not be real scared of Sherk knocking out a Title contending fighter.

So sherk has a fatal flaw. You dont have to fear the fight could end on any given strike.

his second Fatal flaw is he does not have a chin of stone, even at 155. We have seen him Hurt once in pride, and three times in the UFC. Only JSP was able to finish him off after he was stunned.

I am not predicting the Fall of Sherk. But i dont think he is unbeatable.

I think a tall lean fighter that has a mix of Muay Thai/judo-ju-jitsu can do it.

Hell lets face , The most likely way for a fighter to beat him is to be able to attack off of his back. Since sherk is so damn good at keeping people on thier backs, or knock him out when shoots.

I agree with you, Sherk is not unbeatable. He does have flaws. He was certainly susceptible to that knee that Franca threw. But I just don't se Florian taking a fight against Sherk. He just can't match up against that power, pace, and takedown ability.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
What was up with all the booing in sac town bring the UFC to San Jose
Share 49ersWebzone