2016 NBA Offseason Discussion Thread

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Dont forget Kiki Vandeweigh. He needs a large cut as well.

True. F that guy.

What cracks me up is the 35M. Are you going to tell me that Lue wouldnt have accepted 25M for 5? I guess Gilbert just likes throwing his money away

Considering it's almost August and they've been negotiating for almost a month - I'm guessing Lue didn't accept it. His reps knew that Gilbert HAD to re-sign him and dug in.

I get that but I also dont think Lue was going to get another coaching job getting anywhere near that kind of money. He would have taken less I'm guessing. But good for him to leverage the title.

Yup - good for him.

Btw on MVP talk - you're right about record matters. I do think Westbrook is favorite to win because Thunder is still gonna be pretty good with him there. Team is loaded with talent.

Also, Durant is joining a 73-9 team. How much can the Warriors improve on that record for him to win the award? Won't make sense to give him the award if Warriors win less than 73 games.

I think Lebron has a great shot too but he's again gonna go easy during the regular season.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jul 25, 2016 at 9:45 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Dont forget Kiki Vandeweigh. He needs a large cut as well.

True. F that guy.

What cracks me up is the 35M. Are you going to tell me that Lue wouldnt have accepted 25M for 5? I guess Gilbert just likes throwing his money away

Considering it's almost August and they've been negotiating for almost a month - I'm guessing Lue didn't accept it. His reps knew that Gilbert HAD to re-sign him and dug in.

I get that but I also dont think Lue was going to get another coaching job getting anywhere near that kind of money. He would have taken less I'm guessing. But good for him to leverage the title.

Yup - good for him.

Btw on MVP talk - you're right about record matters. I do think Westbrook is favorite to win because Thunder is still gonna be pretty good with him there. Team is loaded with talent.

Also, Durant is joining a 73-9 team. How much can the Warriors improve on that record for him to win the award? Won't make sense to give him the award if Warriors win less than 73 games.

I think Lebron has a great shot too but he's again gonna go easy during the regular season.

If OKC finishes a top 2 or 3 team in the West and Westbrook leads the league in scoring I do believe he will be right there in the voting. I actually think that Kawhi could win it if SA has another year like last year and he leads the Spurs to another WCF.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

Daaamn...he cashed in big time. LeBron should get 90% of that pie tbh

Eh...he deserves it. He out-coached Kerr in the last 3 games.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Amar'e Stoudemire retires from the NBA with Knicks
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/26/amare-stoudmire-retirement-new-york-knicks
Originally posted by lazy:
Amar'e Stoudemire retires from the NBA with Knicks
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/26/amare-stoudmire-retirement-new-york-knicks

About time. He can now finally wear contacts.

I remember when posters were dogging the Lue hiring.

Pretty quiet now
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

I remember when posters were dogging the Lue hiring.

Pretty quiet now

Actually in this exact quote chain there's somebody saying it was all lebron. And 2 pages back there's a lot of the same. lol
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Jul 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM ]
If OKC finishes a top 2 or 3 team in the West and Westbrook leads the league in scoring I do believe he will be right there in the voting. I actually think that Kawhi could win it if SA has another year like last year and he leads the Spurs to another WCF.

Most overrated player in the league. Its crazy how dude went from one of the most underrated players in the world to the most overrated in such a short time. Crazy.

Still a beast though. Top 12 player in the league.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Most overrated player in the league. Its crazy how dude went from one of the most underrated players in the world to the most overrated in such a short time. Crazy.

Really? The most overrated player in the league? When you are the 2 time defensive player of the year, average 21 pts per game, 7 rebounds, and by far the best player on the 3rd best team in basketball I dont see how he can be overrated. I put him as a top 8 player minimum.

Really? The most overrated player in the league? When you are the 2 time defensive player of the year, average 21 pts per game, 7 rebounds, and by far the best player on the 3rd best team in basketball I dont see how he can be overrated. I put him as a top 8 player minimum.

1) I dont believe he deserved either of the two DPOY awards (1st one because he missed 22% of his teams games....2nd one because Draymond simply outplayed him defensively).

2) Because people have been making claims all season long that he was a top 3 player in the league, better than LeBron James, better than Kevin Durant, etc.

3) People claim he guards all 5 positions and is the best at it. Well I dont know about the rest of you guys, but when the Spurs played the Thunder, I saw Kawhi guard Anthony Roberson and Dion Waiters almost 100% of the time. Not sure how the "DPOY's" assignment was to guard the 4th and 5th best offensive options on the other team. Could you imagine Draymond's assignment being Anthony Roberson? Just a laughable idea right?

I believe Kawhi is a very good player. All Star. Top 10-12 player in the league. But when people start rating him in places he has no business being in, thats where the overrated comes from.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:18 AM ]

1) I dont believe he deserved either of the two DPOY awards (1st one because he missed 22% of his teams games....2nd one because Draymond simply outplayed him defensively).

2) Because people have been making claims all season long that he was a top 3 player in the league, better than LeBron James, better than Kevin Durant, etc.

3) People claim he guards all 5 positions and is the best at it. Well I dont know about the rest of you guys, but when the Spurs played the Thunder, I saw Kawhi guard Anthony Roberson and Dion Waiters almost 100% of the time. Not sure how the "DPOY's" assignment was to guard the 4th and 5th best offensive options on the other team. Could you imagine Draymond's assignment being Anthony Roberson? Just a laughable idea right?

I believe Kawhi is a very good player. All Star. Top 10-12 player in the league. But when people start rating him in places he has no business being in, thats where the overrated comes from.

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this. I will point out few stats though that I believe show he is a top 8 player in the league right now
  • 6th in Performance Efficiency Rating
  • 2nd in Win Shares Per 48 minutes ( to Steph)
  • 3rd in Defensive Rating ( behind Whiteside and Duncan)
  • 4th in Plus/Minus

My top 8 players in no particular order. Others will obviously have different players ranked in their top 8
Curry
Westbrook
James
Durant
Leonard
Paul
Cousins ( tough here because he is an idiot so often but his talent is almost second to none)
Davis

Just outside and but in top 12
Green
Klay
Towns
Lillard
^That is a fair list. I dont think you and I are THAT far off here. I just see so many people say Kawhi is a top 3 player....which I find RIDICULOUS.

My list of players I like better than Kawhi:

LeBron
Curry
Durant
Westbrook
Paul
Cousins
Davis
George
Draymond

My list of players I could go either way with Kawhi or them:

Lillard
Klay
Towns

So I have Kawhi in the 10-12 range personally.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jul 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM ]
^That is a fair list. I dont think you and I are THAT far off here. I just see so many people say Kawhi is a top 3 player....which I find RIDICULOUS.

LeBron
Curry
Durant
Westbrook
Paul
Cousins
Davis
George
Draymond

Lillard
Klay
Towns

lol Thanks for letting me know I am not THAT far off. I wonder though, how many teams do you think would take Draymond or George over Leonard. Personally, I doubt any would take George over him.

LeBron
Curry
Durant
Westbrook
Paul
Cousins
Davis
George
Draymond

Lillard
Klay
Towns

lol Thanks for letting me know I am not THAT far off. I wonder though, how many teams do you think would take Draymond or George over Leonard. Personally, I doubt any would take George over him.

I meant your list and my list werent that far off, not that your list wasnt that far off of the correct answer.....lol

And people sleep on George. He is a star.
Share 49ersWebzone